Re: [Scouter_T] Re: Training Updates

  • tttrack@aol.com
    Message 1 of 9 , Feb 1, 2011
      I am not sure I have the latest syllabus, mine is from '05. It does not
      indicate separate courses. They are combined, with Webelos breaking away
      from the Boy Scout leaders during training segments to be presented what is
      needed for their position. Not a separate course, although it can be.

      In a message dated 1/31/2011 6:06:28 P.M. Eastern Standard Time,
      WarEagle78@... writes:

      Tom, the syllabus allows for some combined training during the OLS4WL day,
      but if the combined course was done exactly as written, the Webelos leader
      would leave with OLS for Webelos Leaders completed and the troop leader
      with
      Introduction to OLS completed. They would not have had identical
      instruction. In other words, they were separate courses with some combined
      training sessions.

      Don't bother to tell me XYZ Council combined it differently, because I'm
      sure many did. I'm just talking about the BSA published syllabus and what
      it lays out.

      Teresa Hall
      Vulcan District Cub Training Chair
      Greater AL Council

      On Mon, Jan 31, 2011 at 2:32 PM, <_tttrack@..._
      (mailto:tttrack@...) > wrote:

      > I don't understand "continue to be held as separate course", since for
      the
      > last several years, in the syllabus, it says the courses can be combined.
      >
      > Tom Travis
      > OHC
      >

      > In a message dated 1/31/2011 3:06:39 P.M. Eastern Standard Time,
      > _jbaake@..._ (mailto:jbaake@...) writes:
      >

      > We were advised at recent council level Leadership Development Committee
      > meeting that the move to combine Outdoor Leader Skills for Webelos
      Leaders

      Message 2 of 9 , Feb 1, 2011
        Remember that for a Pack to achieve the Gold level of "Journey To Excellence" are required to participate in OWL (outdoor Leader Skills For Webelos Leaders) and BALOO.

        Yours In Scouting

        Mike Crothers

        and a good old staffer too NE-CS-13

        and I used to be a good old Fox WE4-57-06

        (mailto:tttrack@...) > wrote:

        > I don't understand "continue to be held as separate course", since for

        the

        > last several years, in the syllabus, it says the courses can be combined.

        > Tom Travis

        > OHC

        > In a message dated 1/31/2011 3:06:39 P.M. Eastern Standard Time,

        > _jbaake@..._ (mailto:jbaake@...) writes:

        > We were advised at recent council level Leadership Development Committee

        > meeting that the move to combine Outdoor Leader Skills for Webelos

        Leaders

        > (OLSWL) and Introduction to Outdoor Leader Skills (IOLS) is on indefinite

        > hold... OLSWL should continue to be held as a separate course until

        further

        > notice. While not address at our meeting, I believe adding Venturing

        > Leaders

        > to IOLS is the correct thing to do.

        > Jon Baake

        > National Capital Area Council

      • Jon Baake
        Message 3 of 9 , Feb 1, 2011
          The latest syllabus is the '05 syllabus. It does provide a lot flexibility in how the class is presented - standalone or in conjunction with IOLS and one-day or overnight. IMHO webelos leaders get the best learning experience if the class is offered standalone/overnight.

          The syllabus can be found at the Chief Seattle Council website http://www.seattlebsa.org/Resources. Look under cub scouts. This is a good site for other scouting leadership development resources.

          Jon Baake
          NCAC