Training Updates

  • Herb
    Message 1 of 9 , Jan 31, 2011
      Curious whats going on with the the training update section on the national website. They were initially every month. Then they side bi-monthly for summer/jambo. Then November was the Training Times Vol 1 Number 1 then nothing since.

      I assume there were some personnel changes??

      New Scout Motto "Hurry up and wait"?

      herb d
      Chicago Area Council
    • Thomas Roberts
      Message 2 of 9 , Jan 31, 2011
        Along that line.  I am wondering what is going on with the new Scout Leader Outdoor training?  I have a course in April.  If I am combining Webelos and Venture Leaders along with the Boy Scout Leaders then I need to know pretty quick.

        Tom R

      • Jon Baake
        Message 3 of 9 , Jan 31, 2011
          We were advised at recent council level Leadership Development Committee meeting that the move to combine Outdoor Leader Skills for Webelos Leaders (OLSWL) and Introduction to Outdoor Leader Skills (IOLS) is on indefinite hold... OLSWL should continue to be held as a separate course until further notice. While not address at our meeting, I believe adding Venturing Leaders to IOLS is the correct thing to do.

          Jon Baake
          National Capital Area Council

          Message 4 of 9 , Jan 31, 2011
            I don't understand "continue to be held as separate course", since for the
            last several years, in the syllabus, it says the courses can be combined.

            Tom Travis
            OHC

            Message 5 of 9 , Jan 31, 2011
              Tom is correct. They may be combined for the skills presentations. From the syllabus:

              Jon

              Message 6 of 9 , Jan 31, 2011
                Tom, the syllabus allows for some combined training during the OLS4WL day,
                but if the combined course was done exactly as written, the Webelos leader
                would leave with OLS for Webelos Leaders completed and the troop leader with
                Introduction to OLS completed. They would not have had identical
                instruction. In other words, they were separate courses with some combined
                training sessions.

                Don't bother to tell me XYZ Council combined it differently, because I'm
                sure many did. I'm just talking about the BSA published syllabus and what
                it lays out.

                Teresa Hall
                Vulcan District Cub Training Chair
                Greater AL Council

              • tttrack@aol.com
                Message 7 of 9 , Feb 1, 2011
                  I am not sure I have the latest syllabus, mine is from '05. It does not
                  indicate separate courses. They are combined, with Webelos breaking away
                  from the Boy Scout leaders during training segments to be presented what is
                  needed for their position. Not a separate course, although it can be.

                  (mailto:tttrack@...) > wrote:

                  > I don't understand "continue to be held as separate course", since for
                  the
                  > last several years, in the syllabus, it says the courses can be combined.
                  >
                  > Tom Travis
                  > OHC
                  >

                  > In a message dated 1/31/2011 3:06:39 P.M. Eastern Standard Time,
                  > _jbaake@..._ (mailto:jbaake@...) writes:
                  >

                  > We were advised at recent council level Leadership Development Committee
                  > meeting that the move to combine Outdoor Leader Skills for Webelos
                  Leaders
                  > (OLSWL) and Introduction to Outdoor Leader Skills (IOLS) is on indefinite
                  > hold... OLSWL should continue to be held as a separate course until
                  further
                  > notice. While not address at our meeting, I believe adding Venturing
                  > Leaders
                  > to IOLS is the correct thing to do.
                  >
                  > Jon Baake
                  > National Capital Area Council

                  (http://www.scoutingthenet.com/Yahoo) ! Groups Links

                • Michael Crothers
                  Message 8 of 9 , Feb 1, 2011
                    Remember that for a Pack to achieve the Gold level of "Journey To Excellence" are required to participate in OWL (outdoor Leader Skills For Webelos Leaders) and BALOO.

                    Yours In Scouting

                    Mike Crothers

                    and a good old staffer too NE-CS-13

                    and I used to be a good old Fox WE4-57-06

                    Message 9 of 9 , Feb 1, 2011
                      The latest syllabus is the '05 syllabus. It does provide a lot flexibility in how the class is presented - standalone or in conjunction with IOLS and one-day or overnight. IMHO webelos leaders get the best learning experience if the class is offered standalone/overnight.

                      The syllabus can be found at the Chief Seattle Council website http://www.seattlebsa.org/Resources. Look under cub scouts. This is a good site for other scouting leadership development resources.

                      Jon Baake
                      NCAC