Re: "Higher" and "Lower" Levels of Training

  • Michael Brown
    Message 1 of 2 , Aug 23, 2001
      --- In scouter_t@y..., "Dan Hammond, Sr." <danhammondsr@y...> wrote:
      > There was a recent thread here about
      > OWL(WLOT)/OLS/SMF/NLE/CSLBT and the "level" of
      > training accorded to each. I don't remember the
      > details, but someone had opined that a Webelos Den
      > Leader that has taken SMF already had a "higher" level
      > of training than OWL(WLOT) and thus didn't need to
      > take that course to be "trained."
      >
      > My response to that would be, "Huh?" How do you
      > figure that any training course is a "higher level"
      > just because it applies to Boy Scouting rather than
      > Cub Scouting? I don't believe that's the case at all.

      Well, while there ARE levels of training, this is applicable more
      within the context of the Program you are in (Cub, Boy, Venturing).
      You have Basic Training in these programs, after which you have
      advanced and supplemental training. Some training you will take can
      be applied to other programs. SMF is meant for Boy Scout Leaders, not
      Webelos Leaders. I am not familiar enough with OWL to say that a
      Webelos leader who has taken SMF has the equivalent knowledge. And
      that is what is important.

      To give a personal example, I have completed Wood Badge. Since August
      of 1998, I've been a Venturing leader. Until I took the Basic
      Venturing Leader Training, I did not wear the 'Trained' strip on my
      uniform. Why? WB does not mean I am automatically a trained leader
      in every BSA program. Until I took VLB, I was not a trained Venturing
      leader.

      While I have SMF under my belt, should I become a Webelos leader, I
      would not consider myself a trained Webelos leader until I completed
      the appropriate courses. But that's me.

      > Of course this will soon be moot since there will be
      > fewer and fewer Webelos Den Leaders that have been
      > through SMF since SMF is no longer a course, but has
      > been incorporated into NLE.

      Not quite. SMF is no longer one course, but now exists as THREE
      courses. For a Boy Scout leader to be 'basically training', which SMF
      got you, they will need to complete New Leader Essentials, followed by
      Boy Scout Leader specific training and the weekend Introduction to
      Outdoor Leader Skills.

      Michael Brown
      Venturing Crew #1838