Re: Mandatory Training How is it Going?

  • Bill
    Message 1 of 28 , Jan 1, 2011
      Steven,

      My understanding is the same as yours. The link I provided was the one given to the Registrars this year. Take it for what it is worth (to them it was gospel).

      Bill
    • Lisa Titus
      Message 2 of 28 , Jan 2, 2011
        Bill - In this situation where the Tiger's Adult Partner is not his
        parent or legal guardian, we are required to have the Adult partner
        complete an adult application. I'm sure they are not required to have
        YPT because of their position code (AP) and I suspect they are not
        background checked even though they do give their SS# on the application.

        That's why I was wondering.

        On 01/01/2011 7:43 PM, Bill wrote:
        > Volunteers do not get a background check if they do not fill out the adult application. That gives the BSA the permission to do the background check, also the required SSN.
        >
        > Only those filling out adult volunteer application need YPT.
        >
        > Bill
        >
        > --- In scouter_t@yahoogroups.com, mcquaidfam@... wrote:
        >> Lisa
        >> Now that's an interesting one. I do know that the code AP (Tiger parent) does NOT trigger a registration charge. And neither does PS (Scout Parent). As far as I know, it also doesn't trigger a background check. To trigger a background check, you need to be in position that triggers a fee. That could be a Den Leader Asst. or Member Committee. Then YPT requirements need to be met.

      • Scouter Chuck
        Message 3 of 28 , Jan 3, 2011
          Lisa Titus wrote:

          > Bill - In this situation where the Tiger's Adult Partner is not
          > his parent or legal guardian, we are required to have the Adult
          > partner complete an adult application. I'm sure they are not
          > required to have YPT because of their position code (AP) and I
          > suspect they are not background checked even though they do give
          > their SS# on the application.
          >
          > That's why I was wondering.

          I'm not Bill, but let me throw in my answer. This seems to be
          another one of the "exceptions that prove the rule".

          I'm not sure how it works, now, but it used to be that the Tiger
          boys were accompanied by a parent or guardian to the Den meeting.
          Since there is no 1-on-1 contact at that meeting between the leader
          and the boys, it would seem that YPT is not required. _Assuming_
          that model is still working. If the Tiger is now a regular Den,
          then the model for the regular Den would seem to apply.

          HOWEVER:
          In the case of a Tiger Adult Partner who is not the parent or
          legal guardian, taking YPT would be wise for them just to make
          sure that there are no questions about the registration or
          relationship.

          That is, of course, applying what I consider to be "common sense"
          to the issue.

          I "used to be" an Antelope! -- WEM-10-95
          District Committee Member at Large
          -- Stephen R. Covey