Re: [Scouter_T] Re: Mandatory Training How is it Going?

    Message 1 of 28 , Jan 1, 2011
      I am gonna throw it out there that no they don't have to be YP trained. Just because they filled out a different type of form, they are using the same code as the parents who simply filled out the bottom of the form. If later in the year when the rosters come out someone were to look at the roster they would see this individual registered the exact same way as every other Adult Partner...........

      Connie

      --- On Sat, 1/1/11, Lisa Titus <bearmitzvah@...> wrote:

      So Marian -- let me throw a wrench into the works.

      We've had a situation where the Tiger Partner was not the parent or
      legal guardian.  We were told they had to complete a separate adult
      application.  (not just the bottom of the Scout's app)    While they do
      use the position code for Tiger Partner (AP?) and have to supply their
      social security number - do they get background checked?    Are they
      still exempt from YPT?

    • Steven Powell
      Message 2 of 28 , Jan 1, 2011
        David, Teresa, et al…the contradiction is in the link that Bill provided. If you read the document his link sends you to…it states: “Youth Protection training must be taken every two years. Beginning with this renewal cycle, all direct contact leaders’ Youth Protection training records must be current at the time of recharter, or the volunteer will not be reregistered. The following position codes are defined as direct contact leaders: CM, CA, TL, DL, DA, WL, WA, SM, SA, 10, VC, VA, NL, NA, SK, MT, EA, AA, 42, 49, 88, 96, E38, and E46”.

        My point is ALL REGISTERED LEADERS….notwithstanding the Tiger Partner, Scout Parent and Executives (only if they are not registered otherwise). The link I provided states: “Effective June 1, 2010: Youth Protection training is required for all BSA registered volunteers, regardless of their position”. This clearly contradicts the notion of only DIRECT CONTACT LEADERS in the previous post. The link I provided is referencing the actual policy released by the Nation al Office under their signature (and issued right after the Oregon trial…I’m thinking they decided to rethink the Direct Contact aspect). Bill’s link refers to the renewal of your membership and the YPT requirements. If you look in his document to the bottom (line before “Thank you…”) you’ll see this link: http://www.scouting.org/Training/YouthProtection.aspx and that takes you National’s website to the same information…second paragraph, first line that I provided, to wit: Youth Protection training is required for all BSA registered volunteers, regardless of their position. This is commonly referred to as an internal contradiction. Sorry David.

        S.

        Happy New Years everyone!! J

        Message 3 of 28 , Jan 1, 2011
          Lisa
          Now that's an interesting one. I do know that the code AP (Tiger parent) does NOT trigger a registration charge. And neither does PS (Scout Parent). As far as I know, it also doesn't trigger a background check. To trigger a background check, you need to be in position that triggers a fee. That could be a Den Leader Asst. or Member Committee. Then YPT requirements need to be met.

          hmm.....If you want, I can inquire more come Monday.

          YiS,
          Marian

          Tiger Parents and Scout Parents do NOT pay registration fees. They are NOT subject to Background checks. They do NOT fill out adult applications. They are NOT required to take YPT.

          Honest. It is that easy. If you fill out an adult application for the position, you get a background check and have to submit proof of Youth Protection Training Completion. This includes Executive Board members, by the way.

          So Marian -- let me throw a wrench into the works.

          We've had a situation where the Tiger Partner was not the parent or legal guardian. We were told they had to complete a separate adult application. (not just the bottom of the Scout's app) While they do use the position code for Tiger Partner (AP?) and have to supply their social security number - do they get background checked? Are they still exempt from YPT?

          Lisa Titus
          CM Pack 358 http://www.pack358.us
          ASM Troop 459 http://www.troop459.us
          Daniel Webster Council http://www.nhscouting.org/
          I used to be a Bear ... NE-I-250
          I used to be a Staffer ... NE-I-272

        • Bill
          Message 4 of 28 , Jan 1, 2011
            Volunteers do not get a background check if they do not fill out the adult application. That gives the BSA the permission to do the background check, also the required SSN.

            Only those filling out adult volunteer application need YPT.

            Bill

            Message 5 of 28 , Jan 1, 2011
              Steven,

              My understanding is the same as yours. The link I provided was the one given to the Registrars this year. Take it for what it is worth (to them it was gospel).

              Bill
            • Lisa Titus
              Message 6 of 28 , Jan 2, 2011
                Bill - In this situation where the Tiger's Adult Partner is not his
                parent or legal guardian, we are required to have the Adult partner
                complete an adult application. I'm sure they are not required to have
                YPT because of their position code (AP) and I suspect they are not
                background checked even though they do give their SS# on the application.

                That's why I was wondering.

                On 01/01/2011 7:43 PM, Bill wrote:
                > Volunteers do not get a background check if they do not fill out the adult application. That gives the BSA the permission to do the background check, also the required SSN.
                >
                > Only those filling out adult volunteer application need YPT.
                >
                > Bill
                >
                > --- In scouter_t@yahoogroups.com, mcquaidfam@... wrote:
                >> Lisa
                >> Now that's an interesting one. I do know that the code AP (Tiger parent) does NOT trigger a registration charge. And neither does PS (Scout Parent). As far as I know, it also doesn't trigger a background check. To trigger a background check, you need to be in position that triggers a fee. That could be a Den Leader Asst. or Member Committee. Then YPT requirements need to be met.

              • Scouter Chuck
                Message 7 of 28 , Jan 3, 2011
                  Lisa Titus wrote:

                  > Bill - In this situation where the Tiger's Adult Partner is not
                  > his parent or legal guardian, we are required to have the Adult
                  > partner complete an adult application. I'm sure they are not
                  > required to have YPT because of their position code (AP) and I
                  > suspect they are not background checked even though they do give
                  > their SS# on the application.
                  >
                  > That's why I was wondering.

                  I'm not Bill, but let me throw in my answer. This seems to be
                  another one of the "exceptions that prove the rule".

                  I'm not sure how it works, now, but it used to be that the Tiger
                  boys were accompanied by a parent or guardian to the Den meeting.
                  Since there is no 1-on-1 contact at that meeting between the leader
                  and the boys, it would seem that YPT is not required. _Assuming_
                  that model is still working. If the Tiger is now a regular Den,
                  then the model for the regular Den would seem to apply.

                  HOWEVER:
                  In the case of a Tiger Adult Partner who is not the parent or
                  legal guardian, taking YPT would be wise for them just to make
                  sure that there are no questions about the registration or
                  relationship.

                  That is, of course, applying what I consider to be "common sense"
                  to the issue.

                  I "used to be" an Antelope! -- WEM-10-95
                  District Committee Member at Large
                  -- Stephen R. Covey