Re: Mandatory Training How is it Going?

  • Bill
    Message 1 of 28 , Jan 1, 2011
      Tiger Partners and Scout Parents and the Executive don't need to take any training. They are not considered registered leaders. It would be good if they do go through YPT so they know what the training is, but they don't have to.

      For details on who needs to take YPT see:
      http://www.scouting.org//filestore/training/pdf/YPT%20Requirements%20and%20Charter%20Renewal.pdf

      --- In scouter_t@yahoogroups.com, Thomas Brewer <brewerka@...> wrote:

      > On the Tiger Partners and Scout Parents - It is my understanding that Tiger
      > Partners and Scout Parents are Registered Adults and therefor are to have Youth
      > Protection before re-chartering.
      >
      > I have read through all trianing material and Scouting.org Youth protection and
      > I do not see were is states that Tiger Partners and Scout Parents do not have to
      > have YP.
      >
      > If you have a site were this is written,please let me know this is one area that
      > we are getting questions on.
      >
      > Thanks
      > Kim Brewer
      > District Training Coordinator
      > Last Frontier Council
      > Western Plains District
      >

      > ________________________________

    • Thomas Brewer
      Message 2 of 28 , Jan 1, 2011
        Thanks,  This will help a lot.  Will make a lot of people very happy.

        Thanks Again

        ________________________________
        Tiger Partners and Scout Parents and the Executive don't need to take any
        training. They are not considered registered leaders. It would be good if they
        do go through YPT so they know what the training is, but they don't have to.

        For details on who needs to take YPT see:
        http://www.scouting.org//filestore/training/pdf/YPT%20Requirements%20and%20Charter%20Renewal.pdf

        --- In scouter_t@yahoogroups.com, Thomas Brewer <brewerka@...> wrote:

        > On the Tiger Partners and Scout Parents - It is my understanding that Tiger
        > Partners and Scout Parents are Registered Adults and therefor are to have Youth
        >
        > Protection before re-chartering.
        >
        > I have read through all trianing material and Scouting.org Youth protection and
        >
        > I do not see were is states that Tiger Partners and Scout Parents do not have
        >
        > have YP.
        >
        > If you have a site were this is written,please let me know this is one area
        >that
        >
        > we are getting questions on.
        >
        > Thanks
        > Kim Brewer
        > District Training Coordinator
        > Last Frontier Council
        > Western Plains District
        >

        > ________________________________

      • Steven Powell
        Message 3 of 28 , Jan 1, 2011
          Bill, et al Here's an update that contradicts the earlier post:
          http://www.scouting.org/filestore/training/pdf/youthprotectionenglish.pdf

          Message 4 of 28 , Jan 1, 2011
            Now I am confussed.  Do Scout Parents have to have youth Protection?

            Thanks
            KimBrewer

            ________________________________

            Message 5 of 28 , Jan 1, 2011
              Sorry Steve, Bill is correct. Take a look at question # 9 at the link below.

              David

              http://www.scouting.org/Training/YouthProtection/QA.aspx

              ________________________________

              Message 6 of 28 , Jan 1, 2011
                That is not a contradiction. The question is "what is a registered leader?"
                And my question is - did anyone (any unit or any council) require Tiger
                Adult Partners to submit YPT before they turned in the Tiger applications?
                That is, after all, how a Tiger Adult Partner registers. I believe the
                answer will be "no" - certainly that is the case here - but our fall
                roundups were well after the mandatory "new adult leaders must have YPT."

                Teresa

                On Sat, Jan 1, 2011 at 2:13 PM, Steven Powell <foxscouter@...>wrote:

                > Bill, et al Here's an update that contradicts the earlier post:
                > http://www.scouting.org/filestore/training/pdf/youthprotectionenglish.pdf

              • Thomas Brewer
                Message 7 of 28 , Jan 1, 2011
                  WOW!!!

                  If an adult complete a registration (no matter what position) they are
                  considered a registered adult there for are required take YP.

                  The adult would not be showing up on the roaster if they did not complete a
                  registration form.

                  I think this is why there is such contraversy.  Tiger Partners and Scout Parents
                  are registared adults.  In our Pack for all Adult that registered in September
                  2010 we required YP.  This was for Tiger Partners and Scout Parents as well as
                  any other position.  The question is coming for Adults registered prior to
                  September 2010.

                  There is information going both direction on National Site.  It makes you wonder
                  if they made sure and updated all there information after the changes went into
                  effect.

                  Kim Brewer

                  ________________________________

                • mcquaidfam@comcast.net
                  Message 8 of 28 , Jan 1, 2011
                    Simply put:
                    Tiger Parents and Scout Parents do NOT pay registration fees. They are NOT subject to Background checks. They do NOT fill out adult applications. They are NOT required to take YPT.

                    Honest. It is that easy. If you fill out an adult application for the position, you get a background check and have to submit proof of Youth Protection Training Completion. This includes Executive Board members, by the way.

                    Yours in Scouting.
                    Marian McQuaid
                    Boston Minuteman Council
                    Registrar
                    That is not a contradiction. The question is "what is a registered leader?"
                    And my question is - did anyone (any unit or any council) require Tiger
                    Adult Partners to submit YPT before they turned in the Tiger applications?
                    That is, after all, how a Tiger Adult Partner registers. I believe the
                    answer will be "no" - certainly that is the case here - but our fall
                    roundups were well after the mandatory "new adult leaders must have YPT."

                    Teresa

                    On Sat, Jan 1, 2011 at 2:13 PM, Steven Powell <foxscouter@...>wrote:

                    > Bill, et al Here's an update that contradicts the earlier post:
                    > http://www.scouting.org/filestore/training/pdf/youthprotectionenglish.pdf

                  • von Schmacht, Jim
                    Message 9 of 28 , Jan 1, 2011
                      As council Registrar, Marian is the final word on this subject. Let's take the answer and move on. :)

                      Jim von Schmacht
                      Loma Prieta District Training Chair
                      MBAC

                      Sent from my iPad

                      Message 10 of 28 , Jan 1, 2011
                        If I may,
                        The difference lies in the words "registered adult" vs. "registered leader" a registered adult is not the same as a registered leader. I believe when the original edict came out they intended to include all registered volunteers no matter what position they hold. As with most things that national throws out there without really thinking about us here in the real world it was too broad and unwieldy and when they discovered how difficult they had made it. I mean it is a nightmare trying to get all of the newly minted Tiger parents to even turn in applications let alone take a training first!!  So they backed off a bit and took out the need for the them to do so...............

                        Just throwing it out there. By now anyone who has been on this list for any length of time has got to see the pattern here. And for anyone joining this program in session..........hang on. I would like to say it gets easier, but it doesn't. What we have here though is a group of dedicated leaders that want to help.............

                        Connie

                        --- On Sat, 1/1/11, Thomas Brewer <brewerka@...> wrote:

                        WOW!!!
                        If an adult complete a registration (no matter what position) they are
                        considered a registered adult there for are required take YP.
                        The adult would not be showing up on the roaster if they did not complete a
                        registration form.

                        I think this is why there is such contraversy.  Tiger Partners and Scout Parents
                        are registared adults.  In our Pack for all Adult that registered in September
                        2010 we required YP.  This was for Tiger Partners and Scout Parents as well as
                        any other position.  The question is coming for Adults registered prior to
                        September 2010.

                        There is information going both direction on National Site.  It makes you wonder
                        if they made sure and updated all there information after the changes went into
                        effect.

                      • Lisa Titus
                        Message 11 of 28 , Jan 1, 2011
                          On 01/01/2011 6:07 PM, mcquaidfam@... wrote:
                          > Simply put:
                          > Tiger Parents and Scout Parents do NOT pay registration fees. They are NOT subject to Background checks. They do NOT fill out adult applications. They are NOT required to take YPT.
                          >
                          > Honest. It is that easy. If you fill out an adult application for the position, you get a background check and have to submit proof of Youth Protection Training Completion. This includes Executive Board members, by the way.

                          So Marian -- let me throw a wrench into the works.

                          We've had a situation where the Tiger Partner was not the parent or
                          legal guardian. We were told they had to complete a separate adult
                          application. (not just the bottom of the Scout's app) While they do
                          use the position code for Tiger Partner (AP?) and have to supply their
                          social security number - do they get background checked? Are they
                          still exempt from YPT?

                            Message 13 of 28 , Jan 1, 2011
                              David, Teresa, et al…the contradiction is in the link that Bill provided. If you read the document his link sends you to…it states: “Youth Protection training must be taken every two years. Beginning with this renewal cycle, all direct contact leaders’ Youth Protection training records must be current at the time of recharter, or the volunteer will not be reregistered. The following position codes are defined as direct contact leaders: CM, CA, TL, DL, DA, WL, WA, SM, SA, 10, VC, VA, NL, NA, SK, MT, EA, AA, 42, 49, 88, 96, E38, and E46”.

                              My point is ALL REGISTERED LEADERS….notwithstanding the Tiger Partner, Scout Parent and Executives (only if they are not registered otherwise). The link I provided states: “Effective June 1, 2010: Youth Protection training is required for all BSA registered volunteers, regardless of their position”. This clearly contradicts the notion of only DIRECT CONTACT LEADERS in the previous post. The link I provided is referencing the actual policy released by the Nation al Office under their signature (and issued right after the Oregon trial…I’m thinking they decided to rethink the Direct Contact aspect). Bill’s link refers to the renewal of your membership and the YPT requirements. If you look in his document to the bottom (line before “Thank you…”) you’ll see this link: http://www.scouting.org/Training/YouthProtection.aspx and that takes you National’s website to the same information…second paragraph, first line that I provided, to wit: Youth Protection training is required for all BSA registered volunteers, regardless of their position. This is commonly referred to as an internal contradiction. Sorry David.

                              S.

                              Happy New Years everyone!! J

                              Message 14 of 28 , Jan 1, 2011
                                Lisa
                                Now that's an interesting one. I do know that the code AP (Tiger parent) does NOT trigger a registration charge. And neither does PS (Scout Parent). As far as I know, it also doesn't trigger a background check. To trigger a background check, you need to be in position that triggers a fee. That could be a Den Leader Asst. or Member Committee. Then YPT requirements need to be met.

                                hmm.....If you want, I can inquire more come Monday.

                                YiS,
                                Marian

                                Message 15 of 28 , Jan 1, 2011
                                  Volunteers do not get a background check if they do not fill out the adult application. That gives the BSA the permission to do the background check, also the required SSN.

                                  Only those filling out adult volunteer application need YPT.

                                  Bill

                                  Message 16 of 28 , Jan 1, 2011
                                    Steven,

                                    My understanding is the same as yours. The link I provided was the one given to the Registrars this year. Take it for what it is worth (to them it was gospel).

                                    Bill
                                  • Lisa Titus
                                    Message 17 of 28 , Jan 2, 2011
                                      Bill - In this situation where the Tiger's Adult Partner is not his
                                      parent or legal guardian, we are required to have the Adult partner
                                      complete an adult application. I'm sure they are not required to have
                                      YPT because of their position code (AP) and I suspect they are not
                                      background checked even though they do give their SS# on the application.

                                      That's why I was wondering.

                                      On 01/01/2011 7:43 PM, Bill wrote:
                                      > Volunteers do not get a background check if they do not fill out the adult application. That gives the BSA the permission to do the background check, also the required SSN.
                                      >
                                      > Only those filling out adult volunteer application need YPT.
                                      >
                                      > Bill
                                      >
                                      > --- In scouter_t@yahoogroups.com, mcquaidfam@... wrote:
                                      >> Lisa
                                      >> Now that's an interesting one. I do know that the code AP (Tiger parent) does NOT trigger a registration charge. And neither does PS (Scout Parent). As far as I know, it also doesn't trigger a background check. To trigger a background check, you need to be in position that triggers a fee. That could be a Den Leader Asst. or Member Committee. Then YPT requirements need to be met.

                                    • Scouter Chuck
                                      Message 18 of 28 , Jan 3, 2011
                                        Lisa Titus wrote:

                                        > Bill - In this situation where the Tiger's Adult Partner is not
                                        > his parent or legal guardian, we are required to have the Adult
                                        > partner complete an adult application. I'm sure they are not
                                        > required to have YPT because of their position code (AP) and I
                                        > suspect they are not background checked even though they do give
                                        > their SS# on the application.
                                        >
                                        > That's why I was wondering.

                                        I'm not Bill, but let me throw in my answer. This seems to be
                                        another one of the "exceptions that prove the rule".

                                        I'm not sure how it works, now, but it used to be that the Tiger
                                        boys were accompanied by a parent or guardian to the Den meeting.
                                        Since there is no 1-on-1 contact at that meeting between the leader
                                        and the boys, it would seem that YPT is not required. _Assuming_
                                        that model is still working. If the Tiger is now a regular Den,
                                        then the model for the regular Den would seem to apply.

                                        HOWEVER:
                                        In the case of a Tiger Adult Partner who is not the parent or
                                        legal guardian, taking YPT would be wise for them just to make
                                        sure that there are no questions about the registration or
                                        relationship.

                                        That is, of course, applying what I consider to be "common sense"
                                        to the issue.

                                        I "used to be" an Antelope! -- WEM-10-95
                                        District Committee Member at Large
                                        -- Stephen R. Covey