Re: Youth Protection Guidelines Conflict?

  • Mark Huber
    Message 1 of 39 , Dec 15, 2010
      Sorry to "spin off" of your original intent, Chuck. But I thought you brought up an interesting question. This is especially relevant to trainers who deliver YPT, so I thought it important to make sure it's clear.

      The wording in the GSS as follows:
      "the child should be told that you have to tell the proper authorities but that you will not tell anyone else."

      The purpose of this statement is to reassure the child that you will keep the matter confidential. It says you will tell PROPER AUTHORITIES (plural) and no one else.

      I have not personally taken the Catholic Church's Safe Environment training, but I'm going to guess that that's the intent of their policy as well. Can you point us to a written reference from this training? Perhaps the folks who delivered the program to you are not interpreting it correctly.

      It's also important to note that each state has established reporting requirements - so it may actually be unlawful to withold reporting from other authorities.

      --- In scouter_t@yahoogroups.com, Scouter Chuck <antelope95@...> wrote:

      > Again, the only reason I made the comment in the first place was
      > as an illustration of a point where the BSA model deviates from
      > real life. This wasn't intended to become a topic all on its own.

    • Jamie Niss Dunn
      Message 39 of 39 , Jan 3, 2011
        <<Wouldn't BSA YPT efforts be more effective parents of scouts were trained? Seems to me if the parent is informed through training that there is no one on one contact with youth they would have a chance of catching Mr. Pervert Scout Leader or at least denying him the opportunity of using scouting as a venue.>>

        The official title of the DVD is Youth Protection Guidelines: Training for Leaders and Parents. So BSA does want parents to take the course. It is one of the reasons you can log in and take the online training without a membership number, so parent can access it.

        The challenge is to get parents to take it. We offer YPT a couple times a year in our troop for Scouts and adults (different content of course). Generally, I get the registered leaders and a couple parents, although we get parents sitting through the youth course, which is _some_ consolation. I explain two deep and no one-on-one to the Scouts and their parents. The youth sessions have good attendance.

        The problem comes with parents who know the rules and ignore them. We had an incident a couple years ago in my council, SM was taking kids camping with no second leader, grooming boys for private meetings, etc. Some of the parents/committee supposedly passed it off as "That's just "Bob", he's O.K.". A Scout finally told his parents and of course the SM was expelled. It has made some of us more cognizant of the training. We have provided every unit in our district with a DVD with all five adult and youth training courses on it, and encourage its use in every unit. The council has created a mechanism on their web site for us to record every training session we present, and who attended.

        I did a course in October for the pack which is associated with the troop I serve. More than 40 parents were in attendance.

        Jamie Niss Dunn
        Pack Trainer, Pack 512
        Blaine/Coon Rapids, MN
        Troop Committee, Troop 509