Re: [Scouter_T] BSA Training: Model vs Reality? (WAS: A thought about on-line training)

  • Scouter Chuck
    Message 1 of 39 , Dec 12, 2010
      Glen Hoshizaki wrote:

      > How do the BSA training programs deviate from reality? Can anyone
      > give examples? How do troops deal with this?

      Example 1:
      A Boy Scout Troop with a "well run" program, but _every_ Troop
      Committee Member is also a member of the Troop _uniformed_
      leadership (i.e., an ASM/SA.)

      Example 2:
      "Boy run" unit. 'Nuf said?

      (One of the big problems with parents nowadays is that they don't
      believe that "Little Johnny" really can act like an adult, even
      when it's almost proven to them. A number of years ago, when I
      worked with a Troop, the Den Leader of one of the Webelos Dens
      that was expected to move into the Troop as a New Scout Patrol
      moved to another unit because the concept of "boy run" scared
      them.

      Example 3:
      Within the last year, our local Diocese implemented a policy that
      _none_ of the associated groups should have their own bank
      accounts, but instead have all their monies banked with the Church
      account. The result of this is that the Treasurer of the club or
      Troop Committee loses contact/access to and control of that money.

      One of the most recent problems with this policy was that the
      person in charge of the annual Womens Guild boutique snack bar
      being able to get a check in advance to cover the cost of the
      $550+ food supplies for the event.

      The Church Secretary was on her case for the report, before it was
      even possible to compile the information, let alone hand count the
      money. (The event ended Sunday afternoon, and she wanted the money
      Monday morning. There was unused product to be returned, and the
      books needed to be balanced out before anything else could be
      done.)

      I'm assuming that their Troop experiences the same sort of
      problems.

      Example 4:
      No matter how much training some adults get, the central concepts
      still don't "stick". They may have the training to know how things
      are supposed to be done, but still do them the way that they were
      done in the Troop they belonged to as a boy. As one of these
      leaders told me one time, "I don't really need this training, I
      know how a Troop works -- I was in Boy Scouts."

      Hope this helps...

      YiS,

      Chuck Bramlet -- Phoenix, Az. ----- antelope95@...
      I "used to be" an Antelope! -- WEM-10-95
      District Committee Member at Large
      -- Stephen R. Covey
    • Jamie Niss Dunn
      Message 39 of 39 , Jan 3, 2011
        <<Wouldn't BSA YPT efforts be more effective parents of scouts were trained? Seems to me if the parent is informed through training that there is no one on one contact with youth they would have a chance of catching Mr. Pervert Scout Leader or at least denying him the opportunity of using scouting as a venue.>>

        The official title of the DVD is Youth Protection Guidelines: Training for Leaders and Parents. So BSA does want parents to take the course. It is one of the reasons you can log in and take the online training without a membership number, so parent can access it.

        The challenge is to get parents to take it. We offer YPT a couple times a year in our troop for Scouts and adults (different content of course). Generally, I get the registered leaders and a couple parents, although we get parents sitting through the youth course, which is _some_ consolation. I explain two deep and no one-on-one to the Scouts and their parents. The youth sessions have good attendance.

        The problem comes with parents who know the rules and ignore them. We had an incident a couple years ago in my council, SM was taking kids camping with no second leader, grooming boys for private meetings, etc. Some of the parents/committee supposedly passed it off as "That's just "Bob", he's O.K.". A Scout finally told his parents and of course the SM was expelled. It has made some of us more cognizant of the training. We have provided every unit in our district with a DVD with all five adult and youth training courses on it, and encourage its use in every unit. The council has created a mechanism on their web site for us to record every training session we present, and who attended.

        I did a course in October for the pack which is associated with the troop I serve. More than 40 parents were in attendance.

        Jamie Niss Dunn
        Pack Trainer, Pack 512
        Blaine/Coon Rapids, MN
        Troop Committee, Troop 509