RE: [Scouter_T] RE: BSA Training: Model vs Reality?

  • R Fisher
    Message 1 of 39 , Dec 12 2:16 PM
      Adding to what Dan mentioned, at least in our Troop the PLC at the annual
      planning conference plans to go to specific venues for specific activities
      that aren't necessarily covered in the Troop Program Features.

      The meeting plans don't account for things like supplemental activities or
      things outside the norm. For instance, our Troop is sponsored by a VFW
      Post. In November, they do a ceremony honoring veterans and remembering
      MIA/POW's and ask the Troop to assist with a flag ceremony and the
      construction of a "tiger cage" for the event. Yea, this is "pioneering"
      but not like any pioneering project most have ever seen or in any books, and
      the Post has a specific plan to the flag presentation that is different from
      what the Scouts normally see. So one or two meetings in late October or
      November fall off the chart as far as planned activities go.

      And this is just one example.

      I think Dan makes a good point in that for many Troops modifying the Troop
      Program Features to fit the actual situation is harder than just starting
      from scratch and working up a program (that will probably need to be
      modified before the first activity is completed).

      Roy Fisher

      The
      > campout program plans assume good weather. (3) The meeting plans
      > assume that everything listed there gets done within the time allotted and
      > everyone knows about and does everything they are supposed to. Yes, the
      > plans could be adapted for each troop's circumstances, but that would be
      as
      > much work as just coming up with your own plan.
      >
      > Speculation on why other troops don't use them -- (1) Poor initial
      impression.
      > Taking a look at the list of features right inside the cover (and on the
      back
      > cover), what are energetic, adventuresome, outdoor-oriented boys going to
      > see?
      > Program features for Business, Citizenship, Communications, Cultural
      > Awareness, Forestry, Health Care, Hobbies, Leadership, Mechanics, Nature,
      > Physical Fitness, Public Service, Safety, Science, Special Cooking, and
      Wildlife
      > Management.
      > That's nearly half of the Program Features. Who wants to do a month-long
      > Boy Scout program (and campout) on the theme of Business, or Health Care,
      > or Safety?
      > Booooorrrrrriiiiiinnnnnnngggg. (2) The programs, especially the
      campouts,
      > are over-scheduled. A typical campout program has boys scheduled from
      > 6:30 AM to
      > 10:00 PM. That looks like work, not fun. (3) The Program Features look
      like
      > they would take a lot of work and advance preparation and planning to pull
      > off.
      > Why can't we just go camping, cook some food, play some games, and have
      > a campfire? (4) Most troops already have lots of resources to draw ideas
      > from without needing Program Features; things like past troop activities
      and
      > things that leaders hear about from other leaders and ideas for activities
      that
      > the boys come up with themselves. Really, the problem in planning a troop
      > program is not coming up with ideas, it is whittling down the ideas to a
      > manageable number. Program Features aren't needed for ideas.
      >
      > Dan Kurtenbach
      > Fairfax, VA

    • Jamie Niss Dunn
      Message 39 of 39 , Jan 3, 2011
        <<Wouldn't BSA YPT efforts be more effective parents of scouts were trained? Seems to me if the parent is informed through training that there is no one on one contact with youth they would have a chance of catching Mr. Pervert Scout Leader or at least denying him the opportunity of using scouting as a venue.>>

        The official title of the DVD is Youth Protection Guidelines: Training for Leaders and Parents. So BSA does want parents to take the course. It is one of the reasons you can log in and take the online training without a membership number, so parent can access it.

        The challenge is to get parents to take it. We offer YPT a couple times a year in our troop for Scouts and adults (different content of course). Generally, I get the registered leaders and a couple parents, although we get parents sitting through the youth course, which is _some_ consolation. I explain two deep and no one-on-one to the Scouts and their parents. The youth sessions have good attendance.

        The problem comes with parents who know the rules and ignore them. We had an incident a couple years ago in my council, SM was taking kids camping with no second leader, grooming boys for private meetings, etc. Some of the parents/committee supposedly passed it off as "That's just "Bob", he's O.K.". A Scout finally told his parents and of course the SM was expelled. It has made some of us more cognizant of the training. We have provided every unit in our district with a DVD with all five adult and youth training courses on it, and encourage its use in every unit. The council has created a mechanism on their web site for us to record every training session we present, and who attended.

        I did a course in October for the pack which is associated with the troop I serve. More than 40 parents were in attendance.

        Jamie Niss Dunn
        Pack Trainer, Pack 512
        Blaine/Coon Rapids, MN
        Troop Committee, Troop 509