Re: [Scouter_T] BSA Training: Model vs Reality? (WAS: A thought about on-line training)

  • Teresa Hall
    Message 1 of 39 , Dec 9, 2010
      My example is pack-based and financial, too. In my district all packs charge
      annual dues, collected at the start of the school year. No one collects
      weekly dues. But in contrast to Jamie's experience, many packs do the annual
      budget process along with annual planning. They use the budget plan to set
      their popcorn goals and evaluate whether they need to increase dues.

      Teresa Hall

      On Thu, Dec 9, 2010 at 5:00 PM, Jamie Niss Dunn <JNDunnMN@...> wrote:

      > <<Many packs meet right after school when few parents are available, and
      > therefore many tiger dens are run like wolf and bear dens- with no
      > partners.>>
      >

      > Do packs in your area really do that? There are 39 packs in my district,
      > and I don't know of one which doesn't meet in the evening, either for den or
      > pack meetings. Those same parents who can't make it to after school den
      > meetings are the leaders who only have evenings available.
      >
      > My example of reality vs. the ideal is unit finances. Each unit is supposed
      > to make an annual budget and use that as the basis for its finances. Maybe
      > 10% really do that.
      >

      > Jamie Niss Dunn
      > Pack Trainer, Pack 512
      > Blaine/Coon Rapids, MN
      > Troop Committee, Troop 509
      > Ham Lake, MN
      > Secretary, Crew 849
      > Coon Rapids, MN
      > Cub Scout Training Coordinator
      > Cub Scout Roundtable Commissioner
      > Three Rivers District

    • Jamie Niss Dunn
      Message 39 of 39 , Jan 3, 2011
        <<Wouldn't BSA YPT efforts be more effective parents of scouts were trained? Seems to me if the parent is informed through training that there is no one on one contact with youth they would have a chance of catching Mr. Pervert Scout Leader or at least denying him the opportunity of using scouting as a venue.>>

        The official title of the DVD is Youth Protection Guidelines: Training for Leaders and Parents. So BSA does want parents to take the course. It is one of the reasons you can log in and take the online training without a membership number, so parent can access it.

        The challenge is to get parents to take it. We offer YPT a couple times a year in our troop for Scouts and adults (different content of course). Generally, I get the registered leaders and a couple parents, although we get parents sitting through the youth course, which is _some_ consolation. I explain two deep and no one-on-one to the Scouts and their parents. The youth sessions have good attendance.

        The problem comes with parents who know the rules and ignore them. We had an incident a couple years ago in my council, SM was taking kids camping with no second leader, grooming boys for private meetings, etc. Some of the parents/committee supposedly passed it off as "That's just "Bob", he's O.K.". A Scout finally told his parents and of course the SM was expelled. It has made some of us more cognizant of the training. We have provided every unit in our district with a DVD with all five adult and youth training courses on it, and encourage its use in every unit. The council has created a mechanism on their web site for us to record every training session we present, and who attended.

        I did a course in October for the pack which is associated with the troop I serve. More than 40 parents were in attendance.