Re: [Scouter_T] A thought about on-line training

  • Dan Kurtenbach
    Message 1 of 39 , Dec 8, 2010
      Chuck Bramlet wrote:

      > Moving past that problem, the training is _sterile_. You get the
      > same info, in the same order. There is no opportunity for any
      > questions, clarifications, or any other type of informational
      > interchange.
      > . . .
      > Is there no room left for them? Or the older ways of training
      > that worked? And if not, why are we being asked to take training
      > like "Trainer's EDGE"?

      I think we have more and more online training now because lots of people asked,
      "Is there no room for newer ways of training? More convenient ways? Ways that
      suit my learning style rather than someone else's teaching style?" I think the
      new BSA training paradigm is this: If the purpose of the training is simply to
      pass on information that leaders need to know, then the easiest, least costly,
      most convenient, and most consistent way to do this is via an online course. If
      the purpose of the training is to develop skills, we still need to do it
      "live." Yes, some opportunities for interaction and questions are lost with
      online training; but that makes other opportunities for interaction and
      questions -- such as Roundtable -- more important.

      As for the COR being knowledgeable about Scouting, I find that BSA's training is
      often written to reflect BSA's ideal or "model" program, even when long
      experience proves that the ideal or model is simply not realistic, not
      practical, or a rare bird.

      Dan Kurtenbach
      Fairfax, VA
    • Jamie Niss Dunn
      Message 39 of 39 , Jan 3, 2011
        <<Wouldn't BSA YPT efforts be more effective parents of scouts were trained? Seems to me if the parent is informed through training that there is no one on one contact with youth they would have a chance of catching Mr. Pervert Scout Leader or at least denying him the opportunity of using scouting as a venue.>>

        The official title of the DVD is Youth Protection Guidelines: Training for Leaders and Parents. So BSA does want parents to take the course. It is one of the reasons you can log in and take the online training without a membership number, so parent can access it.

        The challenge is to get parents to take it. We offer YPT a couple times a year in our troop for Scouts and adults (different content of course). Generally, I get the registered leaders and a couple parents, although we get parents sitting through the youth course, which is _some_ consolation. I explain two deep and no one-on-one to the Scouts and their parents. The youth sessions have good attendance.

        The problem comes with parents who know the rules and ignore them. We had an incident a couple years ago in my council, SM was taking kids camping with no second leader, grooming boys for private meetings, etc. Some of the parents/committee supposedly passed it off as "That's just "Bob", he's O.K.". A Scout finally told his parents and of course the SM was expelled. It has made some of us more cognizant of the training. We have provided every unit in our district with a DVD with all five adult and youth training courses on it, and encourage its use in every unit. The council has created a mechanism on their web site for us to record every training session we present, and who attended.

        I did a course in October for the pack which is associated with the troop I serve. More than 40 parents were in attendance.

        Jamie Niss Dunn
        Pack Trainer, Pack 512
        Blaine/Coon Rapids, MN
        Troop Committee, Troop 509