A thought about on-line training

  • Scouter Chuck
    Message 1 of 39 , Dec 7, 2010
      I haven't commented about on-line training much, because even
      though I didn't think it was a good idea, I hadn't experienced an
      on-line course to see what was done, and how, to e able to make an
      experienced comment.

      Last night, I took the on-line YPT course.

      One thing I noted from the "credibility" standpoint, is that in my
      experience, the COR knows less about the Scouting program that the
      untrained leaders. That struck me as a bit odd, that the COR would
      be the one who would know that much. It may be different in other
      councils across the country, but that's been my experience during
      my involvement here over the last 20 years. I found that to be a

      Moving past that problem, the training is _sterile_. You get the
      same info, in the same order. There is no opportunity for any
      questions, clarifications, or any other type of informational

      Between PC-email, IMs, and cell phones with the texting, we've
      become quite impersonal. Too impersonal, IMHO. While I realize
      that this is catering to the younger generation, it's also over-
      whelming the older one.

      Is there no room left for them? Or the older ways of training
      that worked? And if not, why are we being asked to take training
      like "Trainer's EDGE"?

      I "used to be" an Antelope! -- WEM-10-95
      District Committee Member at Large
      -- Stephen R. Covey
    • Jamie Niss Dunn
      Message 39 of 39 , Jan 3, 2011
        <<Wouldn't BSA YPT efforts be more effective parents of scouts were trained? Seems to me if the parent is informed through training that there is no one on one contact with youth they would have a chance of catching Mr. Pervert Scout Leader or at least denying him the opportunity of using scouting as a venue.>>

        The official title of the DVD is Youth Protection Guidelines: Training for Leaders and Parents. So BSA does want parents to take the course. It is one of the reasons you can log in and take the online training without a membership number, so parent can access it.

        The challenge is to get parents to take it. We offer YPT a couple times a year in our troop for Scouts and adults (different content of course). Generally, I get the registered leaders and a couple parents, although we get parents sitting through the youth course, which is _some_ consolation. I explain two deep and no one-on-one to the Scouts and their parents. The youth sessions have good attendance.

        The problem comes with parents who know the rules and ignore them. We had an incident a couple years ago in my council, SM was taking kids camping with no second leader, grooming boys for private meetings, etc. Some of the parents/committee supposedly passed it off as "That's just "Bob", he's O.K.". A Scout finally told his parents and of course the SM was expelled. It has made some of us more cognizant of the training. We have provided every unit in our district with a DVD with all five adult and youth training courses on it, and encourage its use in every unit. The council has created a mechanism on their web site for us to record every training session we present, and who attended.

        I did a course in October for the pack which is associated with the troop I serve. More than 40 parents were in attendance.

        Jamie Niss Dunn
        Pack Trainer, Pack 512
        Blaine/Coon Rapids, MN
        Troop Committee, Troop 509