Re: [Scouter_T] Strictly Hypothetical YP Question

  • Corinna Jones
    Message 1 of 6 , Dec 4, 2010
      Chad,
      Yes, I agree, since the den leader is the person the cub scout knows best.
      Of course there is a possibility that the den leader is the abuser. In that
      case things get a lot trickier, and completely depend on the setting the
      disclosure was made in (worse case scenario: den leaders house).
      Corinna

      Message 2 of 6 , Dec 4, 2010
        If a youth chooses to confide in another youth (Den Chief or otherwise) this may indicate that he is not comfortable approaching an adult. If you instruct the Den Chief to stop the discussion, then the abuse may go undisclosed thereby allowing the abuse to continue. I would instruct the Den Chief to listen carefully, and then privately report what he has been told to the adult leaders. The adult leaders would then follow the reporting procedures in their council, and allow the experts to take it from there.

        --- In scouter_t@yahoogroups.com, "ChadCCooper" <chadc@...> wrote:

        > (really, this is only hypothetical...)
        >
        > I'm gearing up for a Den Chief training tomorrow and a question was suggested... What if a Cub Scout attempts to disclose abuse to a den chief? What advise/direction should we give to the den chief and adult leadership?
        >
        > My gut reaction was... The den chief should gently stop the discussion at the beginning and let the cub scout know that they need to go together to talk with the den leader. To me, this seemed obvious. But, I'm interested to hear if there are other opinions or if BSA has published something on this point.
        >
        > - Chad
        > Chief Black Dog, Northern Star Council
        > Apple Valley, MN

      • The Rooneys
        Message 3 of 6 , Dec 4, 2010
          Anyone know where I can get a PDF version of this manual? Thanks,

          ---
          Jim Rooney
          Training Chair, Pioneer Trails District, Denver Area Council
          (I used to be a Bobwhite..., and a Good Ol' Staffer too)

        • Michael Crothers
          Message 4 of 6 , Dec 4, 2010
            It has been replaced by Administration of Commissioner Service. It can be downloaded at the below link:
            http://scouting.org/sitecore/content/Home/Commissioners/Manuals.aspx

            Yours In Scouting

            Mike Crothers

            and a good old staffer too NE-CS-13
            and I used to be a good old Fox WE4-57-06

            Message 5 of 6 , Dec 4, 2010
              Its been incorporated in the new "Administration of Commissioner Service Manual"

              "The new Administration of Commissioner Service manual will be available as a BSA Supply item in late March 2009. The online version is available for viewing now in PDF format. This manual has combined the previous editions of the Administration of Commissioner Service, Basic Commissioner Training, and Continuing Education of Commissioners. Some great additions have been made to the manual to support council-level commissioners and their support to districts, as well as some new sessions of commissioner training to be offered at all levels."
              Source: http://scouting.org/sitecore/content/Home/Commissioners/Manuals.aspx

              PDF of the admin manual is here: http://www.scouting.org/filestore/pdf/34501.pdf See Section III, page 101.

              Jamie Niss Dunn
              Pack Trainer, Pack 512