Re: BSA Rules and Regulations

  • Michael Brown
    Message 1 of 4 , Aug 23, 2001
      --- In scouter_t@y..., jmadaio@y... wrote:
      > Does anyone know where I can find an online version of the BSA
      > Charter and Bylaws and/or the Rules and Regulations.
      >
      > I'm trying to align my Troop's with NAtional's.

      There is no on-line version of the BSA R&R or the Charter & Bylaws.
      Your only source will be to ask your Council Exec to see the copy he
      has.

      There should be nothing in your Troop Bylaws that you necessarily need
      to 'align' with National's. Your Troop Bylaws should deal with how
      your troop is organized and run, and this should follow what is stated
      in works like the SMHB & BSHB. It should not deal with policies like
      requirements and the like, or things best left at the National level.
      Thus it should deal with things like: troop officer duties, term of
      office, succession, requirements, election procedure, composition of
      plc, troop dues, and the like. You could include stuff like your
      troop neckerchief and hat. However, dealing with stuff like
      membership requirements, advancement requirements and the like should
      be left out.

      You should have a clause in your Troop Bylaws which states that the
      National Bylaws takes precidence. This is pretty standard for such
      things.

      I have thought about putting together a document to advise units that
      want to develop bylaws, but didn't know if there would be much
      interest in it.

      Michael Brown
      Venturing Crew #1838
      Member, National Association of Parliamentarians, Plantation Unit
      Member, American Institute of Parliamentarians