Training costs

  • smithds913
    Message 1 of 9 , Nov 1, 2010
      Going through our council fall budget process and I have a general question to this audience. Previously we have offered specific leader training events at no costs, trying to minimize costs (participant bring lunch, minimal handouts, etc.). My council wants to start charging for these events (we typically hold them all together in a 'Super Saturday of Adult Training' format). Would like to get feedback from this group to find out:
      1. What are you charging for the specific leader trainings, if at all?
      2. What are they getting for their fees? (training materials, food, etc.)
      Would greatly appreciate the feedback!

      Scott Smith
      Catalina Council Training Chair
    • Sandra Martens
      Message 2 of 9 , Nov 1, 2010
        we charge $20 for CS specific except Webelos.  They get leader book and the new resource book, handouts, card, and trained patch.  Webelos are $25 they get all the above plus the Webelos leader guide.

        BS we charge $50.  they get SM book, all 4 resource books, handouts, etc.  for the outdoor we charge nothing- they supply their own food.

        Sandy OWL

        Message 3 of 9 , Nov 1, 2010
          Our district provides a CD with all handouts for each section of Leader
          Specific Training and we have a cracker barrel (snacks and drinks) about
          half way through the training. They also receive a trained patch. The cost
          is $5.
          > Going through our council fall budget process and I have a general
          > question to this audience. Previously we have offered specific leader
          > training events at no costs, trying to minimize costs (participant bring
          > lunch, minimal handouts, etc.). My council wants to start charging for
          > these events (we typically hold them all together in a 'Super Saturday of
          > Adult Training' format). Would like to get feedback from this group to
          > find out:
          > 1. What are you charging for the specific leader trainings, if at all?
          > 2. What are they getting for their fees? (training materials, food, etc.)
          > Would greatly appreciate the feedback!
          >
          > Scott Smith
          > Catalina Council Training Chair

        • Dan Smith
          Message 4 of 9 , Nov 1, 2010
            In the Chattahoochee District, Northeast Georgia Council, we offer the position specific trainings at no cost and charge only a minimal fee to cover food at IOLS and Baloo. It is hard enough to convince people to attend the training without inserting the obstacle (could be called an easy excuse for not attending) to as full participation as possible.

            YIS,
            Dan Smith
            Chattahoochee District Commissioner
            Northeast Georgia Council, B.S.A.

            Sent from my iPhone

            On Nov 1, 2010, at 6:20 PM, "smithds913" <smithds@...> wrote:

            > Going through our council fall budget process and I have a general question to this audience. Previously we have offered specific leader training events at no costs, trying to minimize costs (participant bring lunch, minimal handouts, etc.). My council wants to start charging for these events (we typically hold them all together in a 'Super Saturday of Adult Training' format). Would like to get feedback from this group to find out:
            > 1. What are you charging for the specific leader trainings, if at all?
            > 2. What are they getting for their fees? (training materials, food, etc.)
            > Would greatly appreciate the feedback!
            >
            > Scott Smith
            > Catalina Council Training Chair

          • Michael Crothers
            Message 5 of 9 , Nov 1, 2010
              We let the district decide the fee they charge (about 1 to 2 dollars) IOLS & OLSFWL we charge $40.00, BALOO $10.00 and The Trainers Edge (inc lunch) $8.00.

              All handouts are copied at the council office for free.

              We are talking about assessing a $0.50 per participant next year to cover training material cost, such as posters, syllabus, etc.

              Yours In Scouting

              Mike Crothers

              Council Training Chair
              Tecumseh Council

              and a good old staffer too NE-CS-13

              and I used to be a good old Fox WE4-57-06

              From: smithds913 <smithds@...>

              To: scouter_t@yahoogroups.com

              Message 6 of 9 , Nov 1, 2010
                Our classroom sessions run $5 for 1/2 day courses (Safe Swim, Den Chief, Troop Commitee Challenge, etc.) and $11 for longer courses (Cub, SM/ASM, Venturing position specific). We typically offer courses for several programs at the same date and time. Lunch is available for $5-6. We generally have to pay for our training sites, which is why our costs are higher than some others. We are required to use council standardized handouts, for which we are charged $1.00 per packet. Council supplies multiple projectors for PowerPoint projection at no cost.

                We used to include Cub Leader books and SM handbooks in the fee - now we check out a selection of materials from the Scout Shop and sell them to attendees as options.

                Jamie Niss Dunn
                Pack Trainer, Pack 512
                Blaine/Coon Rapids, MN
                Troop Committee, Troop 509
                Ham Lake, MN
                Secretary, Crew 849
                Coon Rapids, MN
                Cub Scout Training Coordinator
                Cub Scout Roundtable Commissioner
                Three Rivers District

              • Chad C. Cooper
                Message 7 of 9 , Nov 1, 2010
                  In Northern Star Council we allow the districts to decide. For Cub
                  training, partial day sessions with no food involved (maybe snacks)
                  usually runs $5. For the full-day sessions where lunch and snacks are
                  provided it runs in the $10 range. A number of our districts have to
                  pay for their training facilities and this will drive up those costs.
                  For the $5, the get a copy of our Council calendar/policies/resources
                  guide and the G2SS. We will often have copies of the other Cub
                  publications from supply division on sale at cost. We have to submit a
                  budget and our Council requires a 15% contingency estimate that they
                  pocket if we stay within budget.

                  - Chad Cooper
                  Chief Black Dog, Northern Star Council
                • ed5870@aol.com
                  Message 8 of 9 , Nov 2, 2010
                    For CLST we are charging $5 to cover copies coffee and rolls.
                    For SASLAT we are charging $10 to cover copies breakfast and lunch.

                    Ed Harvey
                    Dutchess District Training Chair
                    Every Scout Deserves a Trained Leader

                    In a message dated 11/1/2010 6:24:51 P.M. Eastern Daylight Time,
                    smithds@... writes:

                    Going through our council fall budget process and I have a general question
                    to this audience. Previously we have offered specific leader training
                    events at no costs, trying to minimize costs (participant bring lunch, minimal
                    handouts, etc.). My council wants to start charging for these events (we
                    typically hold them all together in a 'Super Saturday of Adult Training'
                    format). Would like to get feedback from this group to find out:
                    1. What are you charging for the specific leader trainings, if at all?
                    2. What are they getting for their fees? (training materials, food, etc.)
                    Would greatly appreciate the feedback!

                    Scott Smith
                    Catalina Council Training Chair

                  • Brant Lippincott
                    Message 9 of 9 , Nov 2, 2010
                      We run a big "Day of Training" where we offer:
                      Cub Leader Essentials (This is Scouting and How We Have Fun)
                      Leader-Specific Courses (Tiger, Cub, Webelos, Pack Committee, Cubmaster & Pack
                      Trainer)
                      We charge $5 each for these to cover the cost of copying and bagels and coffee.

                      We run BALOO and OWL outdoors at a council camp.
                      The BALOO folks have the option of camping over night, but most just come out
                      for the day.
                      We charge $20 for BALOO - covers handouts - LOTS - including LNT cards and
                      Breakfast & Lunch
                      We charge $30 if they stay overnight - to also cover Dinner & Breakfast the next
                      day.
                      OWL is $40 - due to more handouts and things like Fireman Chit cards.

                      Brant Lippincott
                      Great Plains District