Re: [Scouter_T] Youth Protection Training and Tiger Parents

  • Alan Davison
    Message 1 of 18 , Oct 5, 2010
      Any chance you would be willing to share the requirements?

      Alan Davison
      Asst. District Commissioner
      Ft. Vancouver District
      Cascade Pacific Council

      "It's awful hard to get people interested in corruption unless they can get
      some of it." --humorist Will Rogers

      > Also I got the new requirements for the "permanent" quality unit awards
      > that start next year. Very interesting.........
      >
      > connie

    • Ben Ward
      Message 2 of 18 , Oct 5, 2010
        can you post these? Also I got the new requirements for the "permanent" quality
        unit awards that start next year. Very interesting.........
        Yours in Scouting,

        Ben Ward

        Eagle Scout Class 1999
        Heart of Virginia Council # 602

        ________________________________
        Message 3 of 18 , Oct 5, 2010
          On 10/5/2010 4:32 PM, Connie Knie wrote:
          > Hello all,
          > I was at a very interesting conference over the weekend. It was an Area 2 conference. Among lots of new ideas I learned a few things as well. I went to a commissioner break out session and the discussion turned towards how it was going in the units getting the YP all done. I moaned a bit and talked about all of the follow up as far as getting not only the leaders but the parents of all of those new Tigers. I was told just recently the requirement for the parents had been rolled back.........can anyone confirm this? Also I got the new requirements for the "permanent" quality unit awards that start next year. Very interesting.........

          Connie,

          Are you trying to be a tease? We want to know too! :-)

          Lisa Titus
          CM Pack 358 http://www.pack358.us
          ASM Troop 459 http://www.troop459.us
          Daniel Webster Council http://www.nhscouting.org/
          I used to be a Bear ... NE-I-250
          I used to be a Staffer ... NE-I-272

          Message 4 of 18 , Oct 5, 2010
            Ok,
            As soon as I get back from my Commissioner meeting tonight. I will figure out how to get these into the files. I guess I can scan first and then upload?? But come one guys how bout an answer to my question?  Tit for Tat.......LOL

            connie

              On 10/5/2010 4:32 PM, Connie Knie wrote:
            > Hello all,
            > I was at a very interesting conference over the weekend. It was an Area 2 conference. Among lots of new ideas I learned a few things as well. I went to a commissioner break out session and the discussion turned towards how it was going in the units getting the YP all done. I moaned a bit and talked about all of the follow up as far as getting not only the leaders but the parents of all of those new Tigers. I was told just recently the requirement for the parents had been rolled back.........can anyone confirm this?  Also I got the new requirements for the "permanent" quality unit awards that start next year. Very interesting.........

            Connie,

            Are you trying to be a tease?   We want to know too!   :-)

            Lisa Titus
            CM Pack 358 http://www.pack358.us
            ASM Troop 459 http://www.troop459.us
            Daniel Webster Council http://www.nhscouting.org/
            I used to be a Bear ... NE-I-250
            I used to be a Staffer ... NE-I-272

          • The Rooneys
            Message 5 of 18 , Oct 5, 2010
              I heard the same at our Council Training Committee. YPT will only be required for Cub Scout registered unit leaders (leaving out the Scout Parent Coordinator and Scout Parents for Tigers).

              ---
              Jim Rooney
              Pioneer Trails Training Chair, Denver Area Council

              I was at a very interesting conference over the weekend. It was an Area 2 conference. Among lots of new ideas I learned a few things as well. I went to a commissioner break out session and the discussion turned towards how it was going in the units getting the YP all done. I moaned a bit and talked about all of the follow up as far as getting not only the leaders but the parents of all of those new Tigers. I was told just recently the requirement for the parents had been rolled back.........can anyone confirm this? Also I got the new requirements for the "permanent" quality unit awards that start next year. Very interesting.........

              connie

            • Mark Ellis
              Message 6 of 18 , Oct 5, 2010
                From the YPT Q & A on the BSA website at
                http://scouting.org/Training/YouthProtection/QA.aspx:

                Q9: I am a Tiger Cub adult partner and ScoutParent. Do I need to take Youth
                Protection training?

                A9: The Tiger Cub adult partner and ScoutParent designations are not
                registered adult positions; therefore, mandatory Youth Protection training
                is not required. It is strongly recommended, however, that all adults
                involved in Scouting take Youth Protection training. All registered adults
                are required to take Youth Protection training.

                Mark Ellis

              • mcquaidfam@comcast.net
                Message 7 of 18 , Oct 5, 2010
                  Hi,
                  According to National, and all the information I received as Registrar:

                  The following are exempt from required YPT:
                  Institutional Head
                  ScoutParents
                  Tiger Partners

                  NOW, if they are registered in another position, they must take YPT. Also, if you are registered in a Crew, you must take Venturing Youth Protection. If you are registered in a Troop, and multipled in a Crew, you must take BOTH the General YPT, and the Venturing Youth Protection.

                  Yours in Scouting,
                  Marian McQuaid

                    Message 9 of 18 , Oct 5, 2010
                      Martin: Reference your statement about those registered with both a Troop
                      and a Crew having to take both. Can you please post the information from
                      National on the need to take both? I would like to show that to District
                      and Council folks.

                      Thanks

                      Mark Ellis

                      Message 10 of 18 , Oct 5, 2010
                        Mark,

                        I do know that was said, as I asked it in a webinar on Youth Protection Training Updates and Ethnicity reporting. That is what I was told.

                        As a Registrar, I got an email from the membership specialist that had a spreadsheet attached. It was in there. Your registrar should have it. I will look for it and send it along in a minute.

                        Marian

                        Message 11 of 18 , Oct 5, 2010
                          Ok, I hate it when I reply to myself.

                          I have a newsletter from National to Registrars that has an excel spreadsheet imbedded. Tell your registrar it is in the Sept News and Notes from National. They should be able to print it and share it. That newsletter also has a nice piece for giving directions on how to sign in to MyScouting, and take YPT. I might be using it in my recharter packages.

                          YiS,
                          Marian

                          I do know that was said, as I asked it in a webinar on Youth Protection Training Updates and Ethnicity reporting. That is what I was told.

                          As a Registrar, I got an email from the membership specialist that had a spreadsheet attached. It was in there. Your registrar should have it. I will look for it and send it along in a minute.

                          Marian

                        • Lisa Titus
                          Message 12 of 18 , Oct 5, 2010
                            On 10/5/2010 5:55 PM, Connie Knie wrote:
                            > Ok,
                            > As soon as I get back from my Commissioner meeting tonight. I will figure out how to get these into the files. I guess I can scan first and then upload?? But come one guys how bout an answer to my question? Tit for Tat.......LOL

                            I was told ScoutParents and Tiger Partners were not included in the
                            registered leader YPT requirement.

                            Lisa Titus
                            CM Pack 358 http://www.pack358.us
                            ASM Troop 459 http://www.troop459.us
                            Daniel Webster Council http://www.nhscouting.org/
                            I used to be a Bear ... NE-I-250
                            I used to be a Staffer ... NE-I-272

                          • Dave
                            Message 13 of 18 , Oct 5, 2010
                              There are different requirements and ages between a Troop and a Venturing
                              Crew, thus if you are registered in both, you must take both to qualify as
                              taken YPT for each. I would also add that the latest newsletter sent out by
                              the NCAC also said, "Any adult leaders that have not taken YPT are NOT
                              covered by the Council's insurance". YMMV. Something to think on.

                              Yours in all steps of Scouting,

                              Dave Place

                              Advisor, Crew 270 (crew270.com) Venturing! Scouting's NEXT Step!

                              Committee, Troop 270 (troop270.com)
                              Committee, Pack 270 (cubpack270.com)

                              Committee, Catoctin Mt. District (boyscouts-ncac.org/catoctinmountain)

                              District Venturing Youth Development Chair, Catoctin Mt. District

                              Venturing Roundtable Commissioner, Catoctin Mt. District

                              National Capital Area Council, BSA

                              I used to be a Bear, I'll always be an Eagle...

                              Message 14 of 18 , Oct 5, 2010
                                Yes that is correct, also (IH) Institutional Head or sponsor are exempted from taking Youth Protection training unless they are also registered in another position. .

                                Yours In Scouting

                                Mike Crothers

                                and a good old staffer too NE-CS-13

                                and I used to be a good old Fox WE4-57-06

                                  Message 16 of 18 , Oct 5, 2010
                                    Can someone post this newsletter and spreadsheet?????

                                    Yours in Scouting,

                                    Ben

                                    Message 17 of 18 , Oct 6, 2010
                                      Can you send this newsletter out?