Youth Protection Training and Tiger Parents

    Message 1 of 18 , Oct 5, 2010
      Hello all,
      I was at a very interesting conference over the weekend. It was an Area 2 conference. Among lots of new ideas I learned a few things as well. I went to a commissioner break out session and the discussion turned towards how it was going in the units getting the YP all done. I moaned a bit and talked about all of the follow up as far as getting not only the leaders but the parents of all of those new Tigers. I was told just recently the requirement for the parents had been rolled back.........can anyone confirm this?  Also I got the new requirements for the "permanent" quality unit awards that start next year. Very interesting.........

      connie

    • Alan Davison
      Message 2 of 18 , Oct 5, 2010
        Any chance you would be willing to share the requirements?

        Alan Davison
        Asst. District Commissioner
        Ft. Vancouver District
        Cascade Pacific Council

        "It's awful hard to get people interested in corruption unless they can get
        some of it." --humorist Will Rogers

        > Also I got the new requirements for the "permanent" quality unit awards
        > that start next year. Very interesting.........
        >
        > connie

      • Ben Ward
        Message 3 of 18 , Oct 5, 2010
          can you post these? Also I got the new requirements for the "permanent" quality
          unit awards that start next year. Very interesting.........
          Yours in Scouting,

          Ben Ward

          Eagle Scout Class 1999
          Heart of Virginia Council # 602

          ________________________________

          Message 4 of 18 , Oct 5, 2010
            On 10/5/2010 4:32 PM, Connie Knie wrote:
            > Hello all,
            > I was at a very interesting conference over the weekend. It was an Area 2 conference. Among lots of new ideas I learned a few things as well. I went to a commissioner break out session and the discussion turned towards how it was going in the units getting the YP all done. I moaned a bit and talked about all of the follow up as far as getting not only the leaders but the parents of all of those new Tigers. I was told just recently the requirement for the parents had been rolled back.........can anyone confirm this? Also I got the new requirements for the "permanent" quality unit awards that start next year. Very interesting.........

            Connie,

            Are you trying to be a tease? We want to know too! :-)

            Lisa Titus
            CM Pack 358 http://www.pack358.us
            ASM Troop 459 http://www.troop459.us
            Daniel Webster Council http://www.nhscouting.org/
            I used to be a Bear ... NE-I-250
            I used to be a Staffer ... NE-I-272

            Message 5 of 18 , Oct 5, 2010
              Ok,
              As soon as I get back from my Commissioner meeting tonight. I will figure out how to get these into the files. I guess I can scan first and then upload?? But come one guys how bout an answer to my question?  Tit for Tat.......LOL

              connie

                On 10/5/2010 4:32 PM, Connie Knie wrote:
              > Hello all,
              > I was at a very interesting conference over the weekend. It was an Area 2 conference. Among lots of new ideas I learned a few things as well. I went to a commissioner break out session and the discussion turned towards how it was going in the units getting the YP all done. I moaned a bit and talked about all of the follow up as far as getting not only the leaders but the parents of all of those new Tigers. I was told just recently the requirement for the parents had been rolled back.........can anyone confirm this?  Also I got the new requirements for the "permanent" quality unit awards that start next year. Very interesting.........

              Connie,

              Are you trying to be a tease?   We want to know too!   :-)

              Lisa Titus
              CM Pack 358 http://www.pack358.us
              ASM Troop 459 http://www.troop459.us
              Daniel Webster Council http://www.nhscouting.org/
              I used to be a Bear ... NE-I-250
              I used to be a Staffer ... NE-I-272

            • The Rooneys
              Message 6 of 18 , Oct 5, 2010
                I heard the same at our Council Training Committee. YPT will only be required for Cub Scout registered unit leaders (leaving out the Scout Parent Coordinator and Scout Parents for Tigers).

                ---
                Jim Rooney
                Pioneer Trails Training Chair, Denver Area Council

                I was at a very interesting conference over the weekend. It was an Area 2 conference. Among lots of new ideas I learned a few things as well. I went to a commissioner break out session and the discussion turned towards how it was going in the units getting the YP all done. I moaned a bit and talked about all of the follow up as far as getting not only the leaders but the parents of all of those new Tigers. I was told just recently the requirement for the parents had been rolled back.........can anyone confirm this? Also I got the new requirements for the "permanent" quality unit awards that start next year. Very interesting.........

                connie

              • Mark Ellis
                Message 7 of 18 , Oct 5, 2010
                  From the YPT Q & A on the BSA website at
                  http://scouting.org/Training/YouthProtection/QA.aspx:

                  Q9: I am a Tiger Cub adult partner and ScoutParent. Do I need to take Youth
                  Protection training?

                  A9: The Tiger Cub adult partner and ScoutParent designations are not
                  registered adult positions; therefore, mandatory Youth Protection training
                  is not required. It is strongly recommended, however, that all adults
                  involved in Scouting take Youth Protection training. All registered adults
                  are required to take Youth Protection training.

                  Mark Ellis

                • mcquaidfam@comcast.net
                  Message 8 of 18 , Oct 5, 2010
                    Hi,
                    According to National, and all the information I received as Registrar:

                    The following are exempt from required YPT:
                    Institutional Head
                    ScoutParents
                    Tiger Partners

                    NOW, if they are registered in another position, they must take YPT. Also, if you are registered in a Crew, you must take Venturing Youth Protection. If you are registered in a Troop, and multipled in a Crew, you must take BOTH the General YPT, and the Venturing Youth Protection.

                    Yours in Scouting,
                    Marian McQuaid

                      Message 10 of 18 , Oct 5, 2010
                        Martin: Reference your statement about those registered with both a Troop
                        and a Crew having to take both. Can you please post the information from
                        National on the need to take both? I would like to show that to District
                        and Council folks.

                        Thanks

                        Mark Ellis

                        Message 11 of 18 , Oct 5, 2010
                          Mark,

                          I do know that was said, as I asked it in a webinar on Youth Protection Training Updates and Ethnicity reporting. That is what I was told.

                          As a Registrar, I got an email from the membership specialist that had a spreadsheet attached. It was in there. Your registrar should have it. I will look for it and send it along in a minute.

                          Marian

                          Message 12 of 18 , Oct 5, 2010
                            Ok, I hate it when I reply to myself.

                            I have a newsletter from National to Registrars that has an excel spreadsheet imbedded. Tell your registrar it is in the Sept News and Notes from National. They should be able to print it and share it. That newsletter also has a nice piece for giving directions on how to sign in to MyScouting, and take YPT. I might be using it in my recharter packages.

                            YiS,
                            Marian

                            Message 13 of 18 , Oct 5, 2010
                              On 10/5/2010 5:55 PM, Connie Knie wrote:
                              > Ok,
                              > As soon as I get back from my Commissioner meeting tonight. I will figure out how to get these into the files. I guess I can scan first and then upload?? But come one guys how bout an answer to my question? Tit for Tat.......LOL

                              I was told ScoutParents and Tiger Partners were not included in the
                              registered leader YPT requirement.

                              Lisa Titus
                              CM Pack 358 http://www.pack358.us
                              ASM Troop 459 http://www.troop459.us
                              Daniel Webster Council http://www.nhscouting.org/
                              I used to be a Bear ... NE-I-250
                              I used to be a Staffer ... NE-I-272

                            • Dave
                              Message 14 of 18 , Oct 5, 2010
                                There are different requirements and ages between a Troop and a Venturing
                                Crew, thus if you are registered in both, you must take both to qualify as
                                taken YPT for each. I would also add that the latest newsletter sent out by
                                the NCAC also said, "Any adult leaders that have not taken YPT are NOT
                                covered by the Council's insurance". YMMV. Something to think on.

                                Yours in all steps of Scouting,

                                Dave Place

                                Advisor, Crew 270 (crew270.com) Venturing! Scouting's NEXT Step!

                                Committee, Troop 270 (troop270.com)
                                Committee, Pack 270 (cubpack270.com)

                                Committee, Catoctin Mt. District (boyscouts-ncac.org/catoctinmountain)

                                District Venturing Youth Development Chair, Catoctin Mt. District

                                Venturing Roundtable Commissioner, Catoctin Mt. District

                                National Capital Area Council, BSA

                                I used to be a Bear, I'll always be an Eagle...

                                Message 15 of 18 , Oct 5, 2010
                                  Yes that is correct, also (IH) Institutional Head or sponsor are exempted from taking Youth Protection training unless they are also registered in another position. .

                                  Yours In Scouting

                                  Mike Crothers

                                  and a good old staffer too NE-CS-13

                                  and I used to be a good old Fox WE4-57-06

                                    Message 17 of 18 , Oct 5, 2010
                                      Can someone post this newsletter and spreadsheet?????

                                      Yours in Scouting,

                                      Ben

                                      Message 18 of 18 , Oct 6, 2010
                                        Can you send this newsletter out?