Re: Troop Committee Challenge - Puzzle Board and Pieces

  • James
    Message 1 of 19 , Sep 17 3:34 AM
      --- In scouter_t@yahoogroups.com, "keishascarlin" <king_sized_poppa@...> wrote:

      > " ¡ Troop Committee Challenge is now available on CD as well as on the Web site. It is catalog No. 36125. "
      >
      > This is taken from the scouting.org training updates archives dated December 2009(the most recent information put out by national about this course), so I believe the live option is still an option....

      The actual item for the DVD "Troop Committee Challenge" is 610034 and it sells for $3.99 + freight. It is basically the same as the online version, and is meant to be used in the same manner as the "This Is Scouting" and "Youth Protection Guidelines" DVDs. In our council that means a trainer is on hand to facilitate the session and file a Training Attendance Report.

      Jim
    • Herb
      Message 2 of 19 , Sep 17 6:06 AM
        It appears they sell the same course that is online on a DVD. Teaching using the puzzle and the old syllabus/videos would not be teaching the current training. don't get me wrong, I really like the puzzle.

        But this kind of morphs into old vs new.
        They updated the time to tell video to indclude bullies. do we use the old one because we like it better or use the current materials?

        herb d
      • Dawn Gent
        Message 3 of 19 , Sep 18 5:04 AM
          This summer, I was able to attend a training related course at the Philmont Training Center. The word from the top (of training) was that many of the courses that are online would also have a DVD version for in-person use - this, according to the source, included the new online Cub Scout Specifics. As mentioned in the group, this was because we may need to address the needs of different types of learners as trainers.

          I would also mention that it was observed that what was "current" was viewed differently amongst the attendees at the conference. The word from the top was "to use what you had for training and consider it current". (I found this very surprising).

          Food for thought...(and possible discussion).

          Dawn Gent
          Wilmington, DE

          "Volunteers do not necessarily have the time; they just have the heart"
          -Elizabeth Andrew

        • meiyobushi522
          Message 4 of 19 , Sep 18 12:03 PM
            I just got home from doing a District Training Session... One of the trainer went online and purposly missed every question and it passed him on the new Online training... (Personally this makes zero sense to me) and we had someone training today said they took the online training and find that it was missing alot of stuff they got from the live training... They are telling their Pack to do the live training because of the info that is missing on the online...

            YIS,
            Shilo Nichols
            Eastern Asst. District Commissioner
            Eastern Cub Scout Training Committee
            Andrew Jackson Council, Jackson, MS
            --- In scouter_t@yahoogroups.com, "Dawn Gent" <dlougent@...> wrote:

            > This summer, I was able to attend a training related course at the Philmont Training Center. The word from the top (of training) was that many of the courses that are online would also have a DVD version for in-person use - this, according to the source, included the new online Cub Scout Specifics. As mentioned in the group, this was because we may need to address the needs of different types of learners as trainers.
            >
            > I would also mention that it was observed that what was "current" was viewed differently amongst the attendees at the conference. The word from the top was "to use what you had for training and consider it current". (I found this very surprising).
            >
            > Food for thought...(and possible discussion).
            >
            > Dawn Gent
            > Wilmington, DE
            >
            > "Volunteers do not necessarily have the time; they just have the heart"
            > -Elizabeth Andrew

          • Herb
            Message 5 of 19 , Sep 20 7:57 AM
              The strategy appears to make it as easy as possible to make all the scouters trained. Some aspects work, some don't. Hopefully national will continue to refine this till they get it right.

              herb d

              --- In scouter_t@yahoogroups.com, "meiyobushi522" <shilochristy@...> wrote:

              > I just got home from doing a District Training Session... One of the trainer went online and purposly missed every question and it passed him on the new Online training... (Personally this makes zero sense to me) and we had someone training today said they took the online training and find that it was missing alot of stuff they got from the live training... They are telling their Pack to do the live training because of the info that is missing on the online...
              >
              > YIS,
              > Shilo Nichols
              > Eastern Asst. District Commissioner
              > Eastern Cub Scout Training Committee
              > Andrew Jackson Council, Jackson, MS
              > --- In scouter_t@yahoogroups.com, "Dawn Gent" <dlougent@> wrote:
              > >
              > > This summer, I was able to attend a training related course at the Philmont Training Center. The word from the top (of training) was that many of the courses that are online would also have a DVD version for in-person use - this, according to the source, included the new online Cub Scout Specifics. As mentioned in the group, this was because we may need to address the needs of different types of learners as trainers.
              > >
              > > I would also mention that it was observed that what was "current" was viewed differently amongst the attendees at the conference. The word from the top was "to use what you had for training and consider it current". (I found this very surprising).
              > >
              > > Food for thought...(and possible discussion).
              > >
              > > Dawn Gent
              > > Wilmington, DE
              > >
              > > "Volunteers do not necessarily have the time; they just have the heart"
              > > -Elizabeth Andrew

            • scouter_fox
              Message 6 of 19 , Sep 24 2:25 AM
                Hello Rick,
                I would love scans of the TCC puzzle pieces... please, please please? Should I dare ask what other treasures you may have? :)

                Btw, love your quotes. Thanks much.

                Always yiS,
                Scouter_Fox