Troop Committee Challenge - When to Do In Person?

  • The Rooneys
    Message 1 of 3 , Sep 16, 2010
      This is a good idea for a topic. When should Troop Committee Challenge be done in person (vs. online)?

      Our District Training Team does not as a rule conduct this training in person. However at the request of a unit commissioner and (new) troop committee, we are doing the training for the troop's entire committee. The troop is struggling a bit and both the UC and TCC feel that an "all hands" training is warranted. In that context the training team felt the in-person class was warranted.

      At what other times/circumstances does this list feel an in-person class is appropriate (or not appropriate)?

      Message 2 of 3 , Sep 16, 2010
        You described exactly when our local training committee does send somebody
        over for training.

        When a unit is suddenly dysfunctional for some reason. Either due to a
        large turn over in the Committee, a number of them not having taken
        training, or the committee is suddenly having infighting about who is
        responsible for what.

        What I have seen is that over time a unit can have a few that stick around
        and during the years of doing the job they slowly trade some parts and
        pieces with others... Somebody does press announcements but not the
        secretary because they are in the business, web site and those
        communications are done by another because they know how and the secretary
        has held that position for the last 2x years and really only does word
        documents, reads and sends e-mail. Secretary then leaves and as they go out
        the door mis-trains the new person based on last 2 years of experience. The
        committee is used to it until another new person or two come in and they get
        trained and complain about how things are not running right but nobody wants
        to fix it.

        _____

        --- In scouter_t@yahoogroups.com <mailto:scouter_t%40yahoogroups.com> , The
        Rooneys <rooney-family@...> wrote:

        > Does anyone have an electronic copy of the TCC puzzle board and pieces ?
        Thanks in advance...

        > YiS,
        >
        > ---
        > Jim Rooney
        > District Training Chair, Pioneer Trails District, Denver Area Council
        > (I used to be a Bobwhite..., and a Good Ol' Staffer too)

      • Gerry
        Message 3 of 3 , Sep 16, 2010
          I might suggest that in an effort to get new committee people into the loop, have them take the online training. It's better than no training. The online training will (hopefully) make them come up with a list of questions that are note addressed specifically by the online course. That's when the in-person training comes in handy. We offer it a couple times a year and it's popular. And helpful. And only a half-day, so it doesn't blow a whole Saturday.