Re: Cub Leader Online Training: One Review

  • Ryan L
    Message 1 of 7 , Sep 8, 2010
      Phil said:
      > The pros are that the training will be more consistent as the training delivered will be thorough and will always ensure that all of the necessary information is delivered.

      Thanks for your review Phil. As someone that does this for a living your feedback was very interesting.

      I just completed the Tiger Cub online training. I thought it was very similar to other online offerings from BSA. I liked the convenience. I can read the books to fill in any other material in between.

      I took a snippet of your review above. I agree. Uniform presentation is a good thing. It bothers me when trainers give incorrect information in training courses. How many times have we heard, "at training they said..." followed by incorrect information. I've been doing Venturing training for several years and I cringe when TRAINERS say "VenturE" or "VenturE Scout" or any other incorrect term, let alone information.

      An aspect of the online training that I don't think has been mentioned yet, is that I hope the accessibility of this training online will hopefully reduce the work load of trainers. If the online training is successful I think this will be significant. For a few years I've been responsible for putting on LST courses for Varsity Scouting and Venturing and it is no small feat to recruit the instructors, advertise, arrange for the training facilities, gather equipment, etc. I like training, but I would love to have this time freed up so that I could put that time and effort into other scouting endeavors.

      Other feedback on the training:
      - I think that BSA is too fond of _lists_ in their trainings. There are lists of methods, purposes, core values, meeting order, and on and on and on... I think more often than not these lists are forgotten on the very next screen. I know they are for me and I have been involved in Scouting for several years.
      - I did the Tiger Cub training in two sittings, at two different computers and I was able to pick up where I left off which was nice. I think the introduction screen was repeated but that was ok. A one screen review of what was presented before would have been nice.

      I haven't had a chance to read the new Cub Scout syllabus, so I can't compare online to written yet.

      Overall, I liked the training. It was convenient and presented the information I needed to know. Now I'm Trained! ;-)

      Ryan
      Ore-Ida Council