Re: To theme or not to theme... That is the core question...

  • Bert
    Message 1 of 6 , Sep 8, 2010
      On the concept that "National promotional material said the Core Values would tie in across the den meetings into the pack meetings", that's probably an overstatement in those promotional materials or in mentions from the National BSA, as I don't think it was implemented that BOTH the Pack Meeting AND the Den Meetings at all levels would, during a specific month, all focus on the very same exact Core Values.

      While that may well be a fine idea in concept, in practice, because Rank Advancement "Character Connections" are tied into different substantive achievement activities, they sort of get done when they get done, and in many cases the Den Meeting plans are laid out to cover stuff that would happen to be "good for that time of year" assuming one is on a school year calendar (granted, this is a rough approximation given weather variances between Nome and Key West), and not because it tied in with the Pack Meeting's Core Value theme.

      However, as Packs describe what they are going to do in the Pack Meeting, and Dens gear up for their piece of that Pack Meeting, because the idea is to have the Pack Meeting fun stuff reinforce a Core Value, as the Den prepares for the Pack Meeting during a Den Meeting's "talk time" (uh, I mean "Business Items"), well . . . a Den Meeting can prepare for the fun and the Core Value.

      Also, Den Leaders will do the meetings in a different order, and they can do them in whatever order fits their Den and Families best (e.g., use your resources and have Parent Guest activity leaders when it fits Parent Schedules, not necessarily in the Guide's numerical order). So, as it turns out, even if the numerical order of Den Meetings DID line up with the monthly Pack Meeting Core Value, some Dens will not be in sync with it anyway since they will have made use of local or family resources and changed the order.

      As far as I can tell, it probably won't hurt any Scout to get a dose of two Core Values in a month (one in a Pack Meeting, and one in a Character Connection in a Den Meeting)!

      Bert Bender
      Pack and District Trainer
      South Fulton District, Atlanta Area Council
      Everyone do the Same Thing Now: KISMIF!

      --- In scouter_t@yahoogroups.com, "Todd Block" <uc80526@...> wrote:

      > Hi Wendell, . . . The original National promotional material said the Core Values would tie in across the den meetings into the pack meetings. That does not seem to be the case. . . .
    • Wendell Brown
      Message 2 of 6 , Sep 8, 2010
        On Wed, Sep 8, 2010 at 12:54 PM, Bert <bbender@...> wrote:

        > As far as I can tell, it probably won't hurt any Scout to get a dose of
        > two Core Values in a month (one in a Pack Meeting, and one in a Character
        > Connection in a Den Meeting)!

        That is absolutely true, however it does make doing a Roundtable a lot more
        challenging when you have to prepare 4 or 5 (of 12 possible) core values
        every month (one for the pack meeting, one for Webelos, etc.).

      • Bert
        Message 3 of 6 , Sep 8, 2010
          On the concept of Roundtables and whether "you have to prepare 4 or 5 (of 12 possible) core values every month", I suspect that that a Roundtable Commissioner would never actually have to prepare for all of those in a single month, but would focus on the Pack Meeting Core Value for that month.

          I think that would be the case, because I suspect that in a Cub Roundtable one isn't actually trying to do a full walkthough or even outline of each of (1) the Pack Meeting, and (2) the 10 Den Meetings that might pop up in that upcoming month (either the Core Value parts or the Activity parts).

          Yeah, Pack Meeting ideas will definately be covered and should be covered (so that folks see how to add fun into the meetings), and I would assume some Den Meeting selections would be covered as well (but not all, or even many), to give Den Leaders some ideas in some areas.

          Message 4 of 6 , Sep 8, 2010
            What does the RT program guide say? That would be a good place to start. I have been Boy Scout RT Commish for years but used to be the Cub one..........and am still a UC for a few packs. Would be interested to know what is being done.

            connie