Re: Tour Permits

  • JamieD
    Message 1 of 34 , Sep 1, 2010
      --- In scouter_t@yahoogroups.com, "Herb" <hadulzo@...> wrote:

      > Curious if scouters in councils that don't "require" them file them anyway. Or even if the council would process such a request. We always looked at tour permits as kind of an insurance policy. Telling the council what your unit is doing and then the council giving approval.

      We are only required to file tour permits for overnights, water activities and trips more that 25 miles from our Chartered Organization. We are discouraged from filing tour permits for "short, in-town trips" (Fire stations, libraries, tv station, etc.). With hundreds of packs and literally thousands of dens if every den leader filed a TP for field trips or den outings the office staff would be inundated each week.

      > I am thinking if a council gives there approval for your outing they are part of any legal action should anything happen. So are councils not requiring tour permits trying to side step liability issues?
      >
      > Case in point> Several years ago a boy was killed on a ski trip. Leaders followed all the rules including tour permit and permission slips). The victim parents sued everyone but it was the council that settled the suit. No liability for the leader because he followed the rules.

      We've been assured that insurance coverage and council backing has less to do with filing the Tour Permit than with operating the outing properly. As long as the activity is not on the list of prohibited activities and conducted according to the Guide to Safe Scouting, you're covered.

      AFAIK the idea that the Tour Permit is a requirement to be covered by the BSA insurance is an urban myth, unfortunately one perpetuated by trainers :(

      Jamie Niss Dunn
      Northern Star Council
    • Brian Duane
      Message 34 of 34 , Sep 2, 2010
        Personally, I have always felt that completing a tour permit whenever we
        left town was a good idea as it did serve as a planning tool (must be
        completed in advance) and a good check list of sorts. Also, it removed any
        doubts about when a tour permit is required. Because in our council, tour
        permits are.

        not required unless you leave the council

        Except 1) when the location requires it (there are out of council scout
        camps in our council area), 2) when there is swimming, 3) when there is
        water involved (boats, etc), 4) when there is climbing, and other exceptions
        that come up from time to time.

        However, we have had situations where council seems upset with us and
        rejects a tour permit because "you don't need one". Weird but true.

        Brian Duane