First Impressions of Cub Scout Online Training

  • Bill
    Message 1 of 2 , Aug 31, 2010
      I took the Cubmaster and Pack Trainer Specific courses last night. Here are my impressions:

      1) Easy course. Can get them done in less than 1 hour
      2) Biggest impression is that there is literature out there and go to the Scout Shop to get it.
      3) Also there is a webpage, if I remembered to write it down, which, of course I didn't.
      4) A new person takig the course would learn very little about when and where Roundtables are or who to call with questions going forward.

      I think a resource page, by council (like they do for YPT) should be provided at the end. It would help immensely

      My recommendation at this point is for new leaders to attend an instructor led course at least once.
    • Dan Kurtenbach
      Message 2 of 2 , Sep 2, 2010
        [Bill Nelson wrote:]
        4)  A new person takig the course would learn very little about when and where
        Roundtables are or who to call with questions going forward.
        [/Bill]

        An excellent point.  Personally, I'm very happy that courses are coming online
        and am not particularly sad about the reduction or loss of in-person courses (at
        least low quality, highly inconvenient courses).  However, a critical element
        that is lost is the introduction to district staff and other unit Scouters, the
        feeling that you are joining a community of dedicated, super-nice people, and
        the invitation to come and get together again at Roundtable and other local
        events.  This comes during an era when Unit Commissioner staffs in many areas
        are very weak and unable to regularly visit units and get to know unit Scouters
        and provide that connection to the larger Scouting community.

        I think it is really hard for a Scouter to get to know what Scouting is really
        all about when the only other Scouters you know are the ones in your own unit,
        and the only style of Scouting you have experience with is what happens in your
        own unit.

        Dan Kurtenbach
        Fairfax, VA