Re: [Scouter_T] Re: Arrow of Light Den

  • Judy Yeager
    Message 1 of 11 , Aug 12, 2010
      On 8/11/2010 6:57 PM, James wrote:

      > Most of thedistricts in our council have been combining these sessions
      > for a while now, and presenting as a single module. . .

      We found that many people would come to training once, but would not
      return if they changed positions, i.e. moved from Tiger leader to Den
      leader, so our Council adopted a plan several years ago to do two split
      sessions - den leaders and pack leaders. We also felt that it was
      important to be considerate of their time and to give them the "big
      picture" rather than the tunnel vision of only one position. As a
      result of this change, our pack leaders are appreciative of our respect
      for their situations, our trained percentage has increased a lot and our
      retention rates have improved markedly.

      It has worked well for us, but, as always, your mileage may vary.

      Judy Yeager

    • corinnajones@hotmail.com
      Message 2 of 11 , Aug 12, 2010
        Judy,
        Would it work to run them though the specific portion during roundtable?
        After getting the idea about Tigers, it would be great to send them off into
        the summer with their DL training, and equipped for their over-the-summer
        planning. 45 minutes of the specifics to Wolves & Bears (how to count the
        arrow points, etc.), switching from shared leadership, possibly combining
        Wolves & Bears for small packs. The same thing would work for Webelos, and
        would be perfect for a slow or planning roundtable.
        Training a brand-new leader once as Tiger leader, and then letting them run
        all the way through Webelos (except the outdoor training) seems like it
        would make the switch to the next level rockier than it needs to be. Also,
        if you establish a culture of training, they will hopefully keep it up. 45
        minutes in a classroom + YPT online shouldn't be too much to ask.
        Corinna