Re: Arrow of Light Den

  • G.J.
    Message 1 of 11 , Aug 11, 2010
      Once upon a time, Cub Scout Basic Leader Training was a day long course that covered all leadership positions: TCDL, CSDL, WDL, CM, and CCs. One one had it was a long day, but on another you got A) training done at one time and B) had an understanding of how all the other leader positions work, and gave you a foundation of knowledge.

      I know of districts that have combined the various DL positions into one session, esp since there are alot of similarities in the levels.

      Haven't seen the new syllabus yet, but with it being online in the (hopefully) near future, we may not be running formal training session. One idea is to use a computer lab we have access to, and have everyone use it at one time with and instructor or two to answer questions.

      Also never heard of AOL den before. maybe it's someone form national who doesn't have a foundation in scouting?
    • Bert
      Message 2 of 11 , Aug 11, 2010
        An "Arrow of Light" Den is what was (and perhaps shall continue to be) referred to as a "Webelos II" Den, and (this is sheer conjecture) perhaps it received the re-naming in the new Guide and related material in order to provide "advancement focus" (Web Is work on the Webelos Badge, Web IIs aim for Arrow of Light, so why not name 'em after their Badges like the other 3 ranks).

        All conjecture is local . . .

        Bert Bender
        Pack and District Trainer
        South Fulton District, Atlanta Area Council

        --- In scouter_t@yahoogroups.com, Frank Toothaker <ftooth@...> wrote:

        > What is an "arrow of light den"?
      • John Halter
        Message 3 of 11 , Aug 11, 2010
          Why not just call them Webelos?

          Thank you,

          John Halter
          Assistant Council Commissioner
          Central FL Council, B.S.A.
          http://commissioners.cflscouting.org
          "PackDude" at www.Scoutboard.com
          (Scoutboard.com is online again!)
          ...and a good 'ol Bobwhite too! SR442

          On 11-Aug-10 09:29 AM, Bert wrote:

          > An "Arrow of Light" Den is what was (and perhaps shall continue to be)
          > referred to as a "Webelos II" Den, and (this is sheer conjecture)
          > perhaps it received the re-naming in the new Guide and related
          > material in order to provide "advancement focus" (Web Is work on the
          > Webelos Badge, Web IIs aim for Arrow of Light, so why not name 'em
          > after their Badges like the other 3 ranks).
          >
          > All conjecture is local . . .
          >
          > Bert Bender
          > Pack and District Trainer
          > South Fulton District, Atlanta Area Council
          >
          > --- In scouter_t@yahoogroups.com <mailto:scouter_t%40yahoogroups.com>,
          > Frank Toothaker <ftooth@...> wrote:
          > >
          > > What is an "arrow of light den"?

          This email and its attachments may be confidential and are intended solely for the use of the individual whom it is addressed. Any views or opinions expressed are solely those of the author and do not necessarily represent those of "CFI/Westgate Resorts". If you are not the intended recipient of this email and its attachments, you must take no action based upon them, nor must copy or show them to anyone. Please contact the sender if you believe you have received this email in error.
        • David Wildschuetz
          Message 4 of 11 , Aug 11, 2010
            I believe the reason was listed in his posting....

            A den of 2nd graders working on the Wolf patch is called a Wolf Den.A den of 3rd
            graders working on the Bear patch is called a Bear Den.

            so...

            Why not call a den of 1st year Webelos a Webelos Den and the 2nd year Webelos
            den an Arrow of Light Den.

            David

            ________________________________

            Why not just call them Webelos?

            > An "Arrow of Light" Den is what was (and perhaps shall continue to be)
            > referred to as a "Webelos II" Den, and (this is sheer conjecture)
            > perhaps it received the re-naming in the new Guide and related
            > material in order to provide "advancement focus" (Web Is work on the
            > Webelos Badge, Web IIs aim for Arrow of Light, so why not name 'em
            > after their Badges like the other 3 ranks).
            >
            > All conjecture is local . . .
            >
            > Bert Bender
            > Pack and District Trainer
            > South Fulton District, Atlanta Area Council

          • James
            Message 5 of 11 , Aug 11, 2010
              Most of thedistricts in our council have been combining these sessions for a while now, and presenting as a single module to train the captive audience. (runs a little longer to cover all the level specific info.) We give them credit for all three courses, then we don't have to chase them the next year or two to come back for training when they've graduated with their den. Also gives them a little insight into planning for the next stage and some of the leadership position inter-reationships. With mandatory training on the horizon, I think BSAs intent was to train the captive audience.

              Jim Bradley
              Council Training Comm.
              Yankee Clipper Council

              --- In scouter_t@yahoogroups.com, Elaine Ziegler <egziegler@...> wrote:

              > What we did last spring was to lump those three together for the
              > common part and then break into the separate TL, DL and WL parts. It
              > worked fine that way.
              >
              > Elaine Ziegler
              > Arrowhead District, Greater Al Council
              >

              > On Aug 10, 2010, at 9:53 PM, ChadCCooper wrote:
              >
              > > Fellow Trainers,
              > >
              > > What do you all think of the new Cub DL Position Specific training
              > > syllabus?
              > >
              > > Am I correct in understanding that we should now be lumping TDL, DL
              > > and WDL into one course and presenting the whole scope of material?
              > > Page 4 suggests that the position specific sessions should only
              > > include Committee, DL, Cubmaster and Pack Trainer. However, the
              > > table of contents and the handouts suggest that TDL/DL/WDL are
              > > considered separately trained position. Combining everything into
              > > one session will make a fine mess of the training codes. And, boy
              > > can I see the poor Tiger DLs eyes glaze over as we answer detailed
              > > Webelos uniforming questions.
              > >
              > > I'm really not sure how BSA expects us to structure these
              > > breakouts. My strongest inclination is to start patching the
              > > materials into complete and separate sessions for each of the three
              > > DL positions.
              > >
              > > This looks like another "mostly baked" product from BSA that may
              > > have been rushed.
              > >
              > > Also, has anyone else seen BSA refer to the 2nd year Webelos as an
              > > Arrow of Light Den as they display on the starter page for the
              > > Webelos section of the slides? I checked the new Leader Book and I
              > > don't find this terminology used.
              > >
              > > From what I can see, they have gutted the Webelos section of the PS.
              > >
              > > - Chad
              > > Chief Black Dog, Northern Star Council
              > > Apple Valley, MN

            • Judy Yeager
              Message 6 of 11 , Aug 12, 2010
                On 8/11/2010 6:57 PM, James wrote:

                > Most of thedistricts in our council have been combining these sessions
                > for a while now, and presenting as a single module. . .

                We found that many people would come to training once, but would not
                return if they changed positions, i.e. moved from Tiger leader to Den
                leader, so our Council adopted a plan several years ago to do two split
                sessions - den leaders and pack leaders. We also felt that it was
                important to be considerate of their time and to give them the "big
                picture" rather than the tunnel vision of only one position. As a
                result of this change, our pack leaders are appreciative of our respect
                for their situations, our trained percentage has increased a lot and our
                retention rates have improved markedly.

                It has worked well for us, but, as always, your mileage may vary.

                Judy Yeager

              • corinnajones@hotmail.com
                Message 7 of 11 , Aug 12, 2010
                  Judy,
                  Would it work to run them though the specific portion during roundtable?
                  After getting the idea about Tigers, it would be great to send them off into
                  the summer with their DL training, and equipped for their over-the-summer
                  planning. 45 minutes of the specifics to Wolves & Bears (how to count the
                  arrow points, etc.), switching from shared leadership, possibly combining
                  Wolves & Bears for small packs. The same thing would work for Webelos, and
                  would be perfect for a slow or planning roundtable.
                  Training a brand-new leader once as Tiger leader, and then letting them run
                  all the way through Webelos (except the outdoor training) seems like it
                  would make the switch to the next level rockier than it needs to be. Also,
                  if you establish a culture of training, they will hopefully keep it up. 45
                  minutes in a classroom + YPT online shouldn't be too much to ask.
                  Corinna