Hows the National Training Initiative Going?

  • Bill
    Message 1 of 3 , Jul 3 6:55 AM
      Those of you in pilot councils, share your experiences.
    • David Wildschuetz
      Message 2 of 3 , Jul 3 7:38 PM
        Well, for us there seems to be a bit of confusion on what the council wants to do, or in other words the left hand has a different opinion from the right hand.

        At the Summer Camp leaders meeting in March we were told that ASM/SM and OLS training would be offered, both to adult leaders and to 17 year olds who would be turning 18 before we recharter. But after our boys registered online, they were contacted by someone at Council telling them that they were un-registered and that they should be having fun and earning badges their last year at camp as a youth.

        The reason these boys wanted to take the training at camp was because the only district training given between now and the end of the year occurs during a time of year where they are busy with sports, so camp time worked out best.

        They tried going to the class for SM/ASM which occurred on day 3, and they were again turned away. We brought this up at the leaders meeting and were told that TPTB held a meeting that morning and decided that the boys could attend the training after all. However, the SM/ASM training was already half done, and would not be offered again this session. They did say that the OLS was still available for them to take, as it was given later in the session.

        Fortunately, another district had a trainer down to work with one of their troops, and our boys were invited to come attend that training, so all is well.

        David

        Those of you in pilot councils, share your experiences.

        __.

        Message 3 of 3 , Jul 13 1:56 PM
          Our council Great Lakes Council in Michigan, decided to opt out as the difficulties that National is having with Scoutnet was making this so difficult. And since we are a newly formed council it was just one more thing that was taking away from the other more important issues that a new council faces.

          connie