Shooting Sports Belt Loops & Webelos Sportsman Activity Badge?

  • wbfergusoniii
    Message 1 of 3 , Jul 2, 2010
      Hi, All,

      Any idea why the Sportsman individual sports requirement does not list the archery and BB shooting belt loops as options (at least in my copy of the Webelos handbook)? Does National think that, if they were listed, some Scouters or parents, despite the retrictions stated in the Guide to Safe Scouting, might undertake shooting sports at the individual Scout, den, or pack levels? Their exclusion is unfortunate--archery and BB shooting are both fun individual sports that fulfill the spirit and letter of the requirement.

      YIS

      Bill Ferguson
      Den Leader and Pack Trainer, Pack 5 (Bronxville, NY)
      Training Chair, Four Rivers District, Westchester-Putnam Council (NY)
      BSA BB Range Officer / Instructor
      NRA Range Safety Officer
      "I used to be an Owl..." (Working My Ticket, NE-VII-15)
    • Corbin Sarchet
      Message 2 of 3 , Jul 2, 2010
        They are shown in the cub scout academics and sportsman awards and cub scout
        shooting sports booklets...however, I agree with you it is a puzzle why they
        are not actually referenced in the webelos handbook. Like you, I believe it
        is because they can only be earned at a day camp, or other setting such as
        fun in the sun, dad and son's events where there is a qualified range master
        in Cub Scout Shooting Sports.

        corb

      • jamestallen52
        Message 3 of 3 , Jul 4, 2010
          I agree the limits posed by National need revision, both could be safely conducted on a Pack or Den level by requiring a Trained Range Officer to be present at all times that they are being conducted and that they be conducted at a Certified Scout Camp Range.