Re: [Scouter_T] New Myscouting Tool: Training Validation

  • CubScoutDen@aol.com
    Message 1 of 24 , Jul 1, 2010
      Ahhhhh. You learn something new every day. = ) Thanks for sharing that!

      Lisa
      Mom to 3 boys
      Pack Trainer
      Assistant Scoutmaster
      District Activities Chair
      District Training Team
      Unofficial Wolf Den Leader
      and a good ole bobwhite too!

      In a message dated 7/1/2010 10:55:55 P.M. Eastern Daylight Time,
      dowrightbw@... writes:

      1911 means that Scoutnet know the person took the training, but not when.
      Scoutnet will not count the training until a valid date is submitted to the
      council for inputting.into Scoutnet.

    • Bill
      Message 2 of 24 , Jul 1, 2010
        Close your browser and reopen it. Log back in and it will work.

        Happened to me a couple of times too.

        Bill

        --- In scouter_t@yahoogroups.com, gottshalld@... wrote:

        > I got into my account once. Now when I go into training validation, I get this error:
        >
        > Object reference not set to an instance of an object.-DecodedQS=
        >
        > Dave Gottshall

      • Jamie Niss Dunn
        Message 3 of 24 , Jul 2, 2010
          >and some older folks (just in their 60's) have training that says 1911, LOL.
          I have a couple courses listed with the 1911 date, and I still have 5 years to go until I'm 60. I think its used as a default date for when a registrar goes back and cleans up training records. If the date of the course is unknown, then they use 1911.

          Jamie Niss Dunn
          Pack Trainer, Pack 512
          Blaine/Coon Rapids, MN
          Troop Committee, Troop 509
          Ham Lake, MN
          Secretary, Crew 849
          Coon Rapids, MN
          Cub Scout Training Coordinator
          Cub Scout Roundtable Commissioner
          Three Rivers District

        • mcquaidfam@comcast.net
          Message 4 of 24 , Jul 2, 2010
            I know the answer!  When Scoutnet converted from the previous records, dates may not have been entered (actually, I don't think they were), so the default was 1911.  Yes, you should notify the registrar or designee as to a correct date.  That doesn't mean it will get done, but...

            YiS

            Marian McQuaid

            >and some older folks (just in their 60's) have training that says 1911, LOL.
            I have a couple courses listed with the 1911 date, and  I still have 5 years to go until I'm 60. I think its used as a default date for when a registrar goes back and cleans up training records. If the date of the course is unknown, then they use 1911.

            Jamie Niss Dunn
            Pack Trainer, Pack 512
            Blaine/Coon Rapids, MN
            Troop Committee, Troop 509
            Ham Lake, MN
            Secretary, Crew 849
            Coon Rapids, MN
            Cub Scout Training Coordinator
            Cub Scout Roundtable Commissioner
            Three Rivers District

          • Jay
            Message 5 of 24 , Jul 2, 2010
              Mine has 11 pages 106 listings, some 1911 some 1980's 90's and 2000 until 2010...

              --- In scouter_t@yahoogroups.com, "leslie" <lbth@...> wrote:

              > Mine shows 41 courses, dating all the way back to the Cub Scout Leader Basic
              > Training on 10/11/1988
              > --------
              > Leslie
              > Cubmaster - Pack 101
              > Blue Water Council, Port Huron MI
              > C-S-T moderator
              >

              > > In a message dated 7/1/2010 5:39:34 P.M. Eastern Daylight Time,
              > > bnelson45@... writes:
              >

              > > It looks like it does querries upon Scoutnet training records.
              > >
              > > Log into myscouting.org
              > > Training Validation is in the menu at the left.
              > >
              > > Report what you find.

            • fox704
              Message 6 of 24 , Jul 7, 2010
                The 1911 date is from the conversion from Unix to ScoutNet that took place about 10 years ago. The courses transferred but not the actual dates.

                Laura

                > >and some older folks (just in their 60's) have training that says 1911, LOL.
                > I have a couple courses listed with the 1911 date, and I still have 5 years to go until I'm 60. I think its used as a default date for when a registrar goes back and cleans up training records. If the date of the course is unknown, then they use 1911.
                >

                > Jamie Niss Dunn
                > Pack Trainer, Pack 512
                > Blaine/Coon Rapids, MN
                > Troop Committee, Troop 509
                > Ham Lake, MN
                > Secretary, Crew 849
                > Coon Rapids, MN
                > Cub Scout Training Coordinator
                > Cub Scout Roundtable Commissioner
                > Three Rivers District

              • Frank Maynard
                Message 7 of 24 , Jul 8, 2010
                  Mine all seem to be there except for Wood Badge and the very first Cub
                  Leader Basic Training taken in 1999.

                  What is the "official" completion date for Wood Badge? Is it the last day
                  of the course, or the day your Troop Guide accepts your completed ticket,
                  or the day the Course Director accepts your ticket, or the day of your
                  beading? Or none of the above?

                  Frank Maynard, NF8M
                  CC, Troop 407; CR, Pack 54, Novi, Michigan
                  Ottawa District Training Chair, Great Lakes Council
                  http://scouting.fmaynard.com
                • oldscouter283
                  Message 8 of 24 , Jul 8, 2010
                    I checked my Training Validation, and it only has the training that I took since 2003 (which is just after I moved to West Virginia). It doesn't show any training from the time when I first became an adult volunteer in 1981, including Scoutmaster Fundamentals, Outdoor Leader Training, Wood Badge, etc., nor does it show any of my professional training (I used to be a DE).

                    John Whiteley
                    Council Training Chair, Tri-State Area Council
                    Assistant District Commissioner, Pioneer District (Buckskin Council)
                    Vice Commodore for Training, Central Region Area 4 Sea Scouts

                    --- In scouter_t@yahoogroups.com, "Bill" <bnelson45@...> wrote:

                    > It looks like it does querries upon Scoutnet training records.
                    >
                    > Log into myscouting.org
                    > Training Validation is in the menu at the left.
                    >
                    > Report what you find.

                  • Jamie Niss Dunn

                      Message 10 of 24 , Jul 9, 2010
                        John,

                        Jamie is correct that when you change councils you must obtain a copy of your records (known as your person profile-honors, awards, etc.), and turn that in with your application. This must be done every time you change councils, even now with ScoutNET.

                        Also, your BSA Professional Training (NEI, PDL, PM) will NOT appear in your training record. These records are kept by the Center for Professional Development.

                        Yours in Scouting,
                        Brian Sutilla
                        District Director

                        > <<I checked my Training Validation, and it only has the training that I took since 2003 (which is just after I moved to West Virginia). It doesn't show any training from the time when I first became an adult volunteer in 1981, including Scoutmaster Fundamentals, Outdoor Leader Training, Wood Badge, etc., nor does it show any of my professional training (I used to be a DE).>>
                        >
                        > From what I understand, your member # changes when you change councils, so training taken in another council doesn't automatically follow you. I believe when you transfer councils you have to take your record from your old council to the new council and have the training manually entered.
                        >

                        > Jamie Niss Dunn
                        > Pack Trainer, Pack 512
                        > Blaine/Coon Rapids, MN
                        > Troop Committee, Troop 509
                        > Ham Lake, MN
                        > Secretary, Crew 849
                        > Coon Rapids, MN
                        > Cub Scout Training Coordinator
                        > Cub Scout Roundtable Commissioner
                        > Three Rivers District

                      • spatula751
                        Message 11 of 24 , Jul 9, 2010
                          All (and Frank),

                          Wood Badge (along with Philmont Training Courses, National Camp School Courses, etc.) is a little weird when it comes to data entry.

                          Registrars only enter the information in which they are officially given. When it comes to trainings, this means they have received a Training Report. For special courses like Wood Badge, the registrar is never given a training completion report. So s/he has no way to know to actually enter it into the system.

                          But Wood Badge has been around forever... yep, but in the course director's guide (Wood Badge Administration Guide) the 19-Month Report is given to several place but never says give to the registrar. Thus the registrar never gets anything to say: these people have completed the course, add it to their record.

                          For courses like, National Camp School and Philmont, you actually need to make a copy of your certificate and give it to the registrar and ask them to add it to your training record.

                          This is just another example of why it is crucial training records get to the registrar at the completion of any training course. We are in the middle of updating our training records right now; we have found a number of people to a IOLS, SMS, etc. and no training report was ever submitted to "the council."

                          For your question as to which date...IMHO, it should be the completion date of the Wood Badge Ticket. Why? That is the actual date an individual completes the full course. If you don't complete your ticket you have not completed Wood Badge.

                          Yours in Scouting,
                          Brian Sutilla
                          District Director

                          --- In scouter_t@yahoogroups.com, Frank Maynard <scouter@...> wrote:

                          > Mine all seem to be there except for Wood Badge and the very first Cub
                          > Leader Basic Training taken in 1999.
                          >
                          > What is the "official" completion date for Wood Badge? Is it the last day
                          > of the course, or the day your Troop Guide accepts your completed ticket,
                          > or the day the Course Director accepts your ticket, or the day of your
                          > beading? Or none of the above?
                          >
                          > --
                          > Yours in Scouting,
                          > Frank Maynard, NF8M
                          > CC, Troop 407; CR, Pack 54, Novi, Michigan
                          > Ottawa District Training Chair, Great Lakes Council
                          > Trustee, WB8BSA ...and a good old Bobwhite too! (C-23-04)
                          > http://scouting.fmaynard.com

                        • spatula751
                          Message 12 of 24 , Jul 9, 2010
                            All,

                            The 1911 date: The first thing I need to say is a great programing/data entry phrase..."Garbage in = Garbage out"

                            If bad information get entered, then you will get things like this 1911 date.

                            So why would your record have a 1911 date:

                            1. Yes, Laura is correct. When the data transfer happened from the Old System to ScoutNET, training records were not initially transfered. Then their was a piece meal transfer; many trainings in the old system did not have dates. ScoutNET requires a date...Thus 1911.

                            2. Jamie is correct, it is used as "dummy data." (note not all registrars use this date some use another) When the person entering the information can't obtain a date this is what is used. Many times it happens when a Scouter says "I took XXXX course, I'm trained." [note: I am not opening the philosophical can of worms here as to whether or not we take volunteers at their word.]

                            3. If you can remember when adult applications had a one box "Trained?" response for F, B, T (Fast Start, Basic, Trained). At one point that was all that was kept track of. This could be another reason for the 1911 date.

                            Their may be others, these are just the main ones.

                            How do someone get it fixed? They need to follow their council's protocols for record corrections (like an address change) and get the correct dates.

                            Remember a computer only does what someone has told it to do. Thus if you feed it "garbage" you will get "garbage" back.

                            Yours in Scouting,
                            Brian Sutilla

                            --- In scouter_t@yahoogroups.com, "fox704" <fox704@...> wrote:

                            > The 1911 date is from the conversion from Unix to ScoutNet that took place about 10 years ago. The courses transferred but not the actual dates.
                            >
                            > Laura
                            >

                            > --- In scouter_t@yahoogroups.com, Jamie Niss Dunn <JNDunnMN@> wrote:
                            > >

                            > > >and some older folks (just in their 60's) have training that says 1911, LOL.
                            > > I have a couple courses listed with the 1911 date, and I still have 5 years to go until I'm 60. I think its used as a default date for when a registrar goes back and cleans up training records. If the date of the course is unknown, then they use 1911.
                            > >

                            > > Jamie Niss Dunn
                            > > Pack Trainer, Pack 512
                            > > Blaine/Coon Rapids, MN
                            > > Troop Committee, Troop 509
                            > > Ham Lake, MN
                            > > Secretary, Crew 849
                            > > Coon Rapids, MN
                            > > Cub Scout Training Coordinator
                            > > Cub Scout Roundtable Commissioner
                            > > Three Rivers District

                          • C. J. Johnson
                            Message 13 of 24 , Jul 9, 2010
                              That's correct. After I moved out here I received a new card from my new
                              council. It never occurred to me to check the numbers so when I logged on
                              with my new council card....everything was gone. So, we had to go back to
                              my old council and get the records to manually reconcile them. You'd think
                              there would be a better process by now.

                              C. J. Johnson, BHS, NREMT-P (Ret.)
                              District Training Chair
                              Big Pines District
                              Crater Lake Council
                              Medford, Oregon

                              <<I checked my Training Validation, and it only has the training that I took
                              since 2003 (which is just after I moved to West Virginia). It doesn't show
                              any training from the time when I first became an adult volunteer in 1981,
                              including Scoutmaster Fundamentals, Outdoor Leader Training, Wood Badge,
                              etc., nor does it show any of my professional training (I used to be a
                              DE).>>

                              From what I understand, your member # changes when you change councils, so
                              training taken in another council doesn't automatically follow you. I
                              believe when you transfer councils you have to take your record from your
                              old council to the new council and have the training manually entered.

                              Jamie Niss Dunn
                              Pack Trainer, Pack 512
                              Blaine/Coon Rapids, MN
                              Troop Committee, Troop 509