RE: [Scouter_T] Re: New Myscouting Tool: Training Validation

  • Rick Rambo
    Message 1 of 24 , Jul 1 6:11 PM
      Did not have my WB trainings listed, but included OLD SM trainings and Scout
      Parent Fast Start twice with slightly different titles, but the same date.

      Rick

      "Facts are stubborn things; and whatever may be our wishes, our inclination,
      or the dictates of our passions, they cannot alter the state of facts and
      evidence." -John Adams

      "Democracy is two wolves and a lamb deciding what to have for dinner.
      Liberty is a well-armed lamb." Benjamin

    • gottshalld@aol.com
      Message 2 of 24 , Jul 1 6:26 PM
        I got into my account once. Now when I go into training validation, I get this error:

        Object reference not set to an instance of an object.-DecodedQS=

        Dave Gottshall

      • CubScoutDen@aol.com
        Message 3 of 24 , Jul 1 6:37 PM
          Mine goes back to 2001, which only leaves out my earliest training, which
          was in the spring of 2000. I like that you can look it up by number,
          because I'm pack trainer. Now with people's ID#'s, I can put their info on tour
          permits, remind them of training they might need, etc.

          Lisa
          Mom to 3 boys
          Pack Trainer
          Assistant Scoutmaster
          District Activities Chair
          District Training Team
          Unofficial Wolf Den Leader
          and a good ole bobwhite too!

          In a message dated 7/1/2010 5:39:34 P.M. Eastern Daylight Time,
          bnelson45@... writes:

          It looks like it does querries upon Scoutnet training records.

          Log into myscouting.org
          Training Validation is in the menu at the left.

          Report what you find.

        • leslie
          Message 4 of 24 , Jul 1 7:49 PM
            Mine shows 41 courses, dating all the way back to the Cub Scout Leader Basic
            Training on 10/11/1988
            --------
            Leslie
            Cubmaster - Pack 101
            Blue Water Council, Port Huron MI
            C-S-T moderator

          • CubScoutDen@aol.com
            Message 5 of 24 , Jul 1 7:51 PM
              I looked up some other people's (I do the charter, so I have the numbers)
              and some older folks (just in their 60's) have training that says 1911, LOL.

              Lisa
              Mom to 3 boys
              Pack Trainer
              Assistant Scoutmaster
              District Activities Chair
              District Training Team
              Unofficial Wolf Den Leader
              and a good ole bobwhite too!

              In a message dated 7/1/2010 10:49:45 P.M. Eastern Daylight Time,
              lbth@... writes:

              Mine shows 41 courses, dating all the way back to the Cub Scout Leader
              Basic
              Training on 10/11/1988
              --------
              Leslie
              Cubmaster - Pack 101
              Blue Water Council, Port Huron MI
              C-S-T moderator

              > In a message dated 7/1/2010 5:39:34 P.M. Eastern Daylight Time,
              > _bnelson45@..._ (mailto:bnelson45@...) writes:

              > It looks like it does querries upon Scoutnet training records.
              >
              > Log into myscouting.org
              > Training Validation is in the menu at the left.
              >
              > Report what you find.

            • Michael Crothers
              Message 6 of 24 , Jul 1 7:55 PM
                1911 means that Scoutnet know the person took the training, but not when. Scoutnet will not count the training until a valid date is submitted to the council for inputting.into Scoutnet.

                Yours In Scouting

                Mike Crothers

                and a good old staffer too NE-CS-13

                and I used to be a good old Fox WE4-57-06

              • CubScoutDen@aol.com
                Message 7 of 24 , Jul 1 8:06 PM
                  Ahhhhh. You learn something new every day. = ) Thanks for sharing that!

                  Lisa
                  Mom to 3 boys
                  Pack Trainer
                  Assistant Scoutmaster
                  District Activities Chair
                  District Training Team
                  Unofficial Wolf Den Leader
                  and a good ole bobwhite too!

                  In a message dated 7/1/2010 10:55:55 P.M. Eastern Daylight Time,
                  dowrightbw@... writes:

                  1911 means that Scoutnet know the person took the training, but not when.
                  Scoutnet will not count the training until a valid date is submitted to the
                  council for inputting.into Scoutnet.

                • Bill
                  Message 8 of 24 , Jul 1 10:17 PM
                    Close your browser and reopen it. Log back in and it will work.

                    Happened to me a couple of times too.

                    Bill

                    --- In scouter_t@yahoogroups.com, gottshalld@... wrote:

                    > I got into my account once. Now when I go into training validation, I get this error:
                    >
                    > Object reference not set to an instance of an object.-DecodedQS=
                    >
                    > Dave Gottshall

                  • Jamie Niss Dunn
                    Message 9 of 24 , Jul 2 8:20 AM
                      >and some older folks (just in their 60's) have training that says 1911, LOL.
                      I have a couple courses listed with the 1911 date, and I still have 5 years to go until I'm 60. I think its used as a default date for when a registrar goes back and cleans up training records. If the date of the course is unknown, then they use 1911.

                      Jamie Niss Dunn
                      Pack Trainer, Pack 512
                      Blaine/Coon Rapids, MN
                      Troop Committee, Troop 509
                      Ham Lake, MN
                      Secretary, Crew 849
                      Coon Rapids, MN
                      Cub Scout Training Coordinator
                      Cub Scout Roundtable Commissioner
                      Three Rivers District

                    • mcquaidfam@comcast.net
                      Message 10 of 24 , Jul 2 9:16 AM
                        I know the answer!  When Scoutnet converted from the previous records, dates may not have been entered (actually, I don't think they were), so the default was 1911.  Yes, you should notify the registrar or designee as to a correct date.  That doesn't mean it will get done, but...

                        YiS

                        Marian McQuaid

                        >and some older folks (just in their 60's) have training that says 1911, LOL.
                        I have a couple courses listed with the 1911 date, and  I still have 5 years to go until I'm 60. I think its used as a default date for when a registrar goes back and cleans up training records. If the date of the course is unknown, then they use 1911.

                        Jamie Niss Dunn
                        Pack Trainer, Pack 512
                        Blaine/Coon Rapids, MN
                        Troop Committee, Troop 509
                        Ham Lake, MN
                        Secretary, Crew 849
                        Coon Rapids, MN
                        Cub Scout Training Coordinator
                        Cub Scout Roundtable Commissioner
                        Three Rivers District

                      • Jay
                        Message 11 of 24 , Jul 2 4:48 PM
                          Mine has 11 pages 106 listings, some 1911 some 1980's 90's and 2000 until 2010...

                          --- In scouter_t@yahoogroups.com, "leslie" <lbth@...> wrote:

                          > Mine shows 41 courses, dating all the way back to the Cub Scout Leader Basic
                          > Training on 10/11/1988
                          > --------
                          > Leslie
                          > Cubmaster - Pack 101
                          > Blue Water Council, Port Huron MI
                          > C-S-T moderator
                          >

                          > > In a message dated 7/1/2010 5:39:34 P.M. Eastern Daylight Time,
                          > > bnelson45@... writes:
                          >

                          > > It looks like it does querries upon Scoutnet training records.
                          > >
                          > > Log into myscouting.org
                          > > Training Validation is in the menu at the left.
                          > >
                          > > Report what you find.

                        • fox704
                          Message 12 of 24 , Jul 7 4:54 AM
                            The 1911 date is from the conversion from Unix to ScoutNet that took place about 10 years ago. The courses transferred but not the actual dates.

                            Laura

                            > >and some older folks (just in their 60's) have training that says 1911, LOL.
                            > I have a couple courses listed with the 1911 date, and I still have 5 years to go until I'm 60. I think its used as a default date for when a registrar goes back and cleans up training records. If the date of the course is unknown, then they use 1911.
                            >

                            > Jamie Niss Dunn
                            > Pack Trainer, Pack 512
                            > Blaine/Coon Rapids, MN
                            > Troop Committee, Troop 509
                            > Ham Lake, MN
                            > Secretary, Crew 849
                            > Coon Rapids, MN
                            > Cub Scout Training Coordinator
                            > Cub Scout Roundtable Commissioner
                            > Three Rivers District

                          • Frank Maynard
                            Message 13 of 24 , Jul 8 6:39 AM
                              Mine all seem to be there except for Wood Badge and the very first Cub
                              Leader Basic Training taken in 1999.

                              What is the "official" completion date for Wood Badge? Is it the last day
                              of the course, or the day your Troop Guide accepts your completed ticket,
                              or the day the Course Director accepts your ticket, or the day of your
                              beading? Or none of the above?

                              Frank Maynard, NF8M
                              CC, Troop 407; CR, Pack 54, Novi, Michigan
                              Ottawa District Training Chair, Great Lakes Council
                              http://scouting.fmaynard.com
                            • oldscouter283
                              Message 14 of 24 , Jul 8 7:08 AM
                                I checked my Training Validation, and it only has the training that I took since 2003 (which is just after I moved to West Virginia). It doesn't show any training from the time when I first became an adult volunteer in 1981, including Scoutmaster Fundamentals, Outdoor Leader Training, Wood Badge, etc., nor does it show any of my professional training (I used to be a DE).

                                John Whiteley
                                Council Training Chair, Tri-State Area Council
                                Assistant District Commissioner, Pioneer District (Buckskin Council)
                                Vice Commodore for Training, Central Region Area 4 Sea Scouts

                                --- In scouter_t@yahoogroups.com, "Bill" <bnelson45@...> wrote:

                                > It looks like it does querries upon Scoutnet training records.
                                >
                                > Log into myscouting.org
                                > Training Validation is in the menu at the left.
                                >
                                > Report what you find.

                              • Jamie Niss Dunn

                                  Message 16 of 24 , Jul 9 5:27 AM
                                    John,

                                    Jamie is correct that when you change councils you must obtain a copy of your records (known as your person profile-honors, awards, etc.), and turn that in with your application. This must be done every time you change councils, even now with ScoutNET.

                                    Also, your BSA Professional Training (NEI, PDL, PM) will NOT appear in your training record. These records are kept by the Center for Professional Development.

                                    Yours in Scouting,
                                    Brian Sutilla
                                    District Director

                                    > <<I checked my Training Validation, and it only has the training that I took since 2003 (which is just after I moved to West Virginia). It doesn't show any training from the time when I first became an adult volunteer in 1981, including Scoutmaster Fundamentals, Outdoor Leader Training, Wood Badge, etc., nor does it show any of my professional training (I used to be a DE).>>
                                    >
                                    > From what I understand, your member # changes when you change councils, so training taken in another council doesn't automatically follow you. I believe when you transfer councils you have to take your record from your old council to the new council and have the training manually entered.
                                    >

                                    > Jamie Niss Dunn
                                    > Pack Trainer, Pack 512
                                    > Blaine/Coon Rapids, MN
                                    > Troop Committee, Troop 509
                                    > Ham Lake, MN
                                    > Secretary, Crew 849
                                    > Coon Rapids, MN
                                    > Cub Scout Training Coordinator
                                    > Cub Scout Roundtable Commissioner
                                    > Three Rivers District

                                  • spatula751
                                    Message 17 of 24 , Jul 9 5:48 AM
                                      All (and Frank),

                                      Wood Badge (along with Philmont Training Courses, National Camp School Courses, etc.) is a little weird when it comes to data entry.

                                      Registrars only enter the information in which they are officially given. When it comes to trainings, this means they have received a Training Report. For special courses like Wood Badge, the registrar is never given a training completion report. So s/he has no way to know to actually enter it into the system.

                                      But Wood Badge has been around forever... yep, but in the course director's guide (Wood Badge Administration Guide) the 19-Month Report is given to several place but never says give to the registrar. Thus the registrar never gets anything to say: these people have completed the course, add it to their record.

                                      For courses like, National Camp School and Philmont, you actually need to make a copy of your certificate and give it to the registrar and ask them to add it to your training record.

                                      This is just another example of why it is crucial training records get to the registrar at the completion of any training course. We are in the middle of updating our training records right now; we have found a number of people to a IOLS, SMS, etc. and no training report was ever submitted to "the council."

                                      For your question as to which date...IMHO, it should be the completion date of the Wood Badge Ticket. Why? That is the actual date an individual completes the full course. If you don't complete your ticket you have not completed Wood Badge.

                                      Yours in Scouting,
                                      Brian Sutilla
                                      District Director

                                      --- In scouter_t@yahoogroups.com, Frank Maynard <scouter@...> wrote:

                                      > Mine all seem to be there except for Wood Badge and the very first Cub
                                      > Leader Basic Training taken in 1999.
                                      >
                                      > What is the "official" completion date for Wood Badge? Is it the last day
                                      > of the course, or the day your Troop Guide accepts your completed ticket,
                                      > or the day the Course Director accepts your ticket, or the day of your
                                      > beading? Or none of the above?
                                      >
                                      > --
                                      > Yours in Scouting,
                                      > Frank Maynard, NF8M
                                      > CC, Troop 407; CR, Pack 54, Novi, Michigan
                                      > Ottawa District Training Chair, Great Lakes Council
                                      > Trustee, WB8BSA ...and a good old Bobwhite too! (C-23-04)
                                      > http://scouting.fmaynard.com

                                    • spatula751
                                      Message 18 of 24 , Jul 9 6:06 AM
                                        All,

                                        The 1911 date: The first thing I need to say is a great programing/data entry phrase..."Garbage in = Garbage out"

                                        If bad information get entered, then you will get things like this 1911 date.

                                        So why would your record have a 1911 date:

                                        1. Yes, Laura is correct. When the data transfer happened from the Old System to ScoutNET, training records were not initially transfered. Then their was a piece meal transfer; many trainings in the old system did not have dates. ScoutNET requires a date...Thus 1911.

                                        2. Jamie is correct, it is used as "dummy data." (note not all registrars use this date some use another) When the person entering the information can't obtain a date this is what is used. Many times it happens when a Scouter says "I took XXXX course, I'm trained." [note: I am not opening the philosophical can of worms here as to whether or not we take volunteers at their word.]

                                        3. If you can remember when adult applications had a one box "Trained?" response for F, B, T (Fast Start, Basic, Trained). At one point that was all that was kept track of. This could be another reason for the 1911 date.

                                        Their may be others, these are just the main ones.

                                        How do someone get it fixed? They need to follow their council's protocols for record corrections (like an address change) and get the correct dates.

                                        Remember a computer only does what someone has told it to do. Thus if you feed it "garbage" you will get "garbage" back.

                                        Yours in Scouting,
                                        Brian Sutilla

                                        --- In scouter_t@yahoogroups.com, "fox704" <fox704@...> wrote:

                                        > The 1911 date is from the conversion from Unix to ScoutNet that took place about 10 years ago. The courses transferred but not the actual dates.
                                        >
                                        > Laura
                                        >

                                        > --- In scouter_t@yahoogroups.com, Jamie Niss Dunn <JNDunnMN@> wrote:
                                        > >

                                        > > >and some older folks (just in their 60's) have training that says 1911, LOL.
                                        > > I have a couple courses listed with the 1911 date, and I still have 5 years to go until I'm 60. I think its used as a default date for when a registrar goes back and cleans up training records. If the date of the course is unknown, then they use 1911.
                                        > >

                                        > > Jamie Niss Dunn
                                        > > Pack Trainer, Pack 512
                                        > > Blaine/Coon Rapids, MN
                                        > > Troop Committee, Troop 509
                                        > > Ham Lake, MN
                                        > > Secretary, Crew 849
                                        > > Coon Rapids, MN
                                        > > Cub Scout Training Coordinator
                                        > > Cub Scout Roundtable Commissioner
                                        > > Three Rivers District

                                      • C. J. Johnson
                                        Message 19 of 24 , Jul 9 6:08 AM
                                          That's correct. After I moved out here I received a new card from my new
                                          council. It never occurred to me to check the numbers so when I logged on
                                          with my new council card....everything was gone. So, we had to go back to
                                          my old council and get the records to manually reconcile them. You'd think
                                          there would be a better process by now.

                                          C. J. Johnson, BHS, NREMT-P (Ret.)
                                          District Training Chair
                                          Big Pines District
                                          Crater Lake Council
                                          Medford, Oregon

                                          <<I checked my Training Validation, and it only has the training that I took
                                          since 2003 (which is just after I moved to West Virginia). It doesn't show
                                          any training from the time when I first became an adult volunteer in 1981,
                                          including Scoutmaster Fundamentals, Outdoor Leader Training, Wood Badge,
                                          etc., nor does it show any of my professional training (I used to be a
                                          DE).>>

                                          From what I understand, your member # changes when you change councils, so
                                          training taken in another council doesn't automatically follow you. I
                                          believe when you transfer councils you have to take your record from your
                                          old council to the new council and have the training manually entered.

                                          Jamie Niss Dunn
                                          Pack Trainer, Pack 512
                                          Blaine/Coon Rapids, MN
                                          Troop Committee, Troop 509