RE: [Scouter_T] Re: Trainer's Developement Conference and The Trainer's Edge

  • Dawn Gent
    Message 1 of 26 , Jul 1, 2010
      I believe there have been many good points written about the subject of the Pack Trainer in this discussion.

      A point not mentioned, so far, relates to experience, "connectedness" of the trainer, and what is going on with training materials development and its continuity.

      Many of us have observed that due to the plethora of training materials for all programs, it is next to impossible to release new material without "dating" another piece of material. The consequence is that it really is not possible to pull a syllabus off the shelf, hand it to a trainer, and expect that they will know all of the current changes in order to deliver the most current material. (A classic example is the current Wood Badge 2010 material which has a the example of using planning a New Leader Essentials class in the planning section - most of us know that New Leader Essentials was replaced in spring 2009). I understand WHY this happens, but it takes diligent effort on the part of the training team to make sure that everyone is up to date.

      Which brings me to the point that while the concept of Pack Trainer is a good one, district training teams (and UCs) will have to work hard to keep them connected and CURRENT to prevent mis-information since human nature may lead the unit into a belief that they no longer need the assistance from the district. I have witnessed this effect on a few occasions, and not just in training.

      YIS,
      Dawn Gent
      Wilmington, DE

      Used to be an Eagle NE-211
      Used to be a Staffer NE-69

      "Rest is not idleness, and to lie sometimes on the grass on a summer day listening to the murmur of water, or watching the clouds float across the sky, is hardly a waste of time."
      - John Lubbock