Re: Trainer's Developement Conference and The Trainer's Edge

  • Gerry
    Message 1 of 26 , Jun 30, 2010
      Perhaps I oversimplified, CJ. I didn't mean to lessen the importance of the position - I treasured my time as one and took it seriously. The point in the job description that reads "Encouraging pack leaders to attend Cub Scout Leader Basic Training, which includes New Leader Essentials (which we know no longer exists)and Cub Scout Leader Specific Training" was simplified in my comment to "shepherd them to the classes". My comment also extends to "Encouraging pack leaders to attend ongoing training such as Youth Protection training, roundtable, pow wow, BALOO, Outdoor Leader Skills for Webelos Leaders, and Wood Badge".

      I believe that where we have different perspectives is in "Conducting other training as designated by the district and/or council". Our experiences differ here. One thing is certain, and that is that one's perspective will always induce another to offer a rebuttal.

      FEEDBACK IS A GIFT. Thanks!

      --- In scouter_t@yahoogroups.com, "techrescuemedic" <tazmed@...> wrote:
      > I'm sorry, but I have to take exception with this. Your description makes the Pack Trainer sound like a nanny (nothing against nannies) who could be replaced by a newsletter or even an email. I'm trying to remember, but I don't think I've ever seen a "Job Description" for PT that included shepherding. By making the statement "they exist to know about what the trainers are doing" really gives me the impression that you have a training cadre that reminds me of the Wood Badge staff "clique" syndrome that we struggled to overcome. I hope I'm wrong.
      > I've worked with quite a few PT's, and I was one for two years; we did a huge chunk of the cub leader training around the council and the other PT's were some of the most dedicated instructors I've ever worked with. Having been a professional educator, I've worked with a bunch. Just a few examples of what the PT's were doing include coordinating and teaching all of the position specific courses, program director for University of Scout Leader Training, Pow Wow Director, BALOO and OLSWL Director/Instructor, TDC staff, Trainer's EDGE staff, Wood Badge staff...the list goes on. Oh yeah, you can add District Training Chair to the list.
      > Maybe I was just part of a "Super Council" and we were the exception, but we really advocated having Pack Trainers and we utilized them for all sorts of training, not just telling people what was going on so someone else could teach them. In my opinion (and I know all about opinions) the Pack Trainer should be your "Subject Matter Expert" and a resource for all of the pack leadership and parents. In addition to presenting the different courses the Pack Trainer should be mentoring the new leaders.
      > I appologize for the rant, but this just kind of struck a nerve with me. Pack Trainers are probably under-utilized in most places and I see that as a problem. "Every boy deserves a trained leader" isn't just something catchy to say in classes, it's actually a true statement. I recently relocated across the country and I'm in the process of building a cadre of instructors for my new council...you can be sure that I'll be recruiting and training as many Pack Trainers as I can find. The position isn't something that units should have just to "Check the box".
      > Climbing off the soap-box now...
      > C. J. Johnson, BHS, NREMT-P (Ret.)
      > Big Pines District Training Chair
      > Crater Lake Council
      > Medford, Oregon
      > I used to be an Owl!!! SR-878
      > I used to be a Troop Guide SR-985
      > I used to be a Quartermaster SR-1057
      > --- In scouter_t@yahoogroups.com, "Gerry" <gerrymoon32817@> wrote:

> [...]
    • Dawn Gent
      Message 2 of 26 , Jul 1, 2010
        I believe there have been many good points written about the subject of the Pack Trainer in this discussion.

        A point not mentioned, so far, relates to experience, "connectedness" of the trainer, and what is going on with training materials development and its continuity.

        Many of us have observed that due to the plethora of training materials for all programs, it is next to impossible to release new material without "dating" another piece of material. The consequence is that it really is not possible to pull a syllabus off the shelf, hand it to a trainer, and expect that they will know all of the current changes in order to deliver the most current material. (A classic example is the current Wood Badge 2010 material which has a the example of using planning a New Leader Essentials class in the planning section - most of us know that New Leader Essentials was replaced in spring 2009). I understand WHY this happens, but it takes diligent effort on the part of the training team to make sure that everyone is up to date.

        Which brings me to the point that while the concept of Pack Trainer is a good one, district training teams (and UCs) will have to work hard to keep them connected and CURRENT to prevent mis-information since human nature may lead the unit into a belief that they no longer need the assistance from the district. I have witnessed this effect on a few occasions, and not just in training.

        Dawn Gent
        Wilmington, DE

        Used to be an Eagle NE-211
        Used to be a Staffer NE-69

        "Rest is not idleness, and to lie sometimes on the grass on a summer day listening to the murmur of water, or watching the clouds float across the sky, is hardly a waste of time."
        - John Lubbock