Den Chief Training Conference

  • Dawn
    Message 1 of 11 , Jun 25, 2010
      Just realized that my Den Chief training info was dated. Does anyone have an electronic version of the "current" training (#34450)

      I realize that it may need to be adjusted for the new Cub Scout delivery method...

      Dawn Gent
      Wilmington, DE
    • Michael Crothers
      Message 2 of 11 , Oct 24, 2011
        Excuse the cross posting.

        I am looking for a power point presentation for the Den Chief Training Conference.

        If you have one you are willing to share please e-mail me direct.

        Yours In Scouting

        Mike Crothers

        and a good old staffer too NE-CS-13

        and I used to be a good old Fox WE4-57-06

      • Gregory Olgin
        Message 3 of 11 , Oct 25, 2011
          Michael,
          It is available under Scouter_T site.  Look under training, den chief.  You can also do a search in the Yahoo! group site for the same thing.

          Greg Olgin

          I used to be a good old Fox C-36-09

          ________________________________

            Message 5 of 11 , Oct 27, 2011
              I don't mean to hurt anyone's feeling but who thing power point is a good way to train 14 year olds? More of a crutch for people who don't do presentations well?

              Herb D
              Chicago
            • A. Dukovic
              Message 6 of 11 , Oct 27, 2011
                Gotta remember Herb, it's just another "tool" a trainer can use to organize his/her (her/his?) thoughts; like the old JLT course, you do a few minutes of "classroom", do a practical exercise, do a short video and then repeat.  I went one step farther and turned a "one day" syllabus into a weekend event to break it up even more and the "message" was well received by every boy in attendance; the powerpoint process just gives a trainer something his/her audience can look at besides them??

                Powerpoint also has some neat features like "notes" pages, variations of handouts for notetaking, etc. any trainer can easily utilize to make their life simpler; we, as trainers, just need to insure that "death by powerpoint" never happens, cause it's real easy to do!!

                - Art
                I don't mean to hurt anyone's feeling but who thing power point is a good way to train 14 year olds? More of a crutch for people who don't do presentations well?

                Herb D
                Chicago

              • Chris Pearson
                Message 7 of 11 , Oct 27, 2011
                  It can be a crutch, and those power points are awful because they don't present well. I'm a professional trainer (and a former middle and high school teacher) and have seen some amazing trainings where power points were used by people who new what they were doing.
                  I don't use power points with youth, but I think thre real issue (in my experience) is a persons ability to teach. Feel free to rip this apart :)

                  Walking Softly,
                  Chris Pearson
                  Trainer/Consultant
                  Pearson Outdoor Education
                  www.pearsonoutdooreducation.com
                  (425) 686-9175

                  On Oct 27, 2011, at 10:02 AM, "A. Dukovic" <artdukovic@...> wrote:

                  > Gotta remember Herb, it's just another "tool" a trainer can use to organize his/her (her/his?) thoughts; like the old JLT course, you do a few minutes of "classroom", do a practical exercise, do a short video and then repeat. I went one step farther and turned a "one day" syllabus into a weekend event to break it up even more and the "message" was well received by every boy in attendance; the powerpoint process just gives a trainer something his/her audience can look at besides them??
                  >
                  > Powerpoint also has some neat features like "notes" pages, variations of handouts for notetaking, etc. any trainer can easily utilize to make their life simpler; we, as trainers, just need to insure that "death by powerpoint" never happens, cause it's real easy to do!!
                  >
                  > - Art

                • Herb
                  Message 8 of 11 , Oct 27, 2011
                    --- In scouter_t@yahoogroups.com, Chris Pearson
                    Exactly my point. Overheads (powerpont is included in this) are good "tools" for maps, pictures, diagrams. Any text beyond bullet points (IMO) is a total waste of time. To often used as a crutch because the presenter does not know the material.

                    Den chief training should be a simulated perfect den meeting, with all the trainees taking part, including doing a craft. A 14 year old learns nothing from a power point.

                    <ChristopherCPearson@...> wrote:

                    > It can be a crutch, and those power points are awful because they don't present well. I'm a professional trainer (and a former middle and high school teacher) and have seen some amazing trainings where power points were used by people who new what they were doing.
                    > I don't use power points with youth, but I think thre real issue (in my experience) is a persons ability to teach. Feel free to rip this apart :)
                    >
                    > Walking Softly,
                    > Chris Pearson
                    > Trainer/Consultant
                    > Pearson Outdoor Education
                    > www.pearsonoutdooreducation.com
                    > (425) 686-9175
                    >

                    > On Oct 27, 2011, at 10:02 AM, "A. Dukovic" <artdukovic@...> wrote:
                    >
                    > > Gotta remember Herb, it's just another "tool" a trainer can use to organize his/her (her/his?) thoughts; like the old JLT course, you do a few minutes of "classroom", do a practical exercise, do a short video and then repeat. I went one step farther and turned a "one day" syllabus into a weekend event to break it up even more and the "message" was well received by every boy in attendance; the powerpoint process just gives a trainer something his/her audience can look at besides them??
                    > >
                    > > Powerpoint also has some neat features like "notes" pages, variations of handouts for notetaking, etc. any trainer can easily utilize to make their life simpler; we, as trainers, just need to insure that "death by powerpoint" never happens, cause it's real easy to do!!
                    > >
                    > > - Art

                  • eaglemom53
                    Message 9 of 11 , Oct 27, 2011
                      I do. I'm a teacher, and most 14 year-olds are more geared into powerpoints than we are. It's the way they learn!

                      --- In scouter_t@yahoogroups.com, "Herb" <hadulzo@...> wrote:

                      > I don't mean to hurt anyone's feeling but who thing power point is a good way to train 14 year olds? More of a crutch for people who don't do presentations well?
                      >
                      > Herb D
                      > Chicago

                    • Chris Pearson
                      Message 10 of 11 , Oct 27, 2011
                        I agree, but again, it's really about the teacher or presenter and not the student (most times). The reason I don't isn't about it not working for youth, but about the way I connect with my students, which is what I've found is the way I am most effective as a teacher. Power points don't allow me personally, to make that same connection. That's one of the keys, is to teach to your strengths. The other issue is that teaching is both parts art and science, and is just to complicated ultimately to ever flush out here. The other thing to remember ( according to recent research and studies) is that the way the brain is wired to learn has been changing in recent generations, and it is because of access to technology. There are some great articles on this actually. If I can find them I will post a link.

                        On Oct 27, 2011, at 11:09 AM, "eaglemom53" <eaglemom53@...> wrote:

                        > I do. I'm a teacher, and most 14 year-olds are more geared into powerpoints than we are. It's the way they learn!
                        >
                        > --- In scouter_t@yahoogroups.com, "Herb" <hadulzo@...> wrote:
                        > >

                        > > I don't mean to hurt anyone's feeling but who thing power point is a good way to train 14 year olds? More of a crutch for people who don't do presentations well?
                        > >
                        > > Herb D
                        > > Chicago

                      • A. Dukovic
                        Message 11 of 11 , Oct 27, 2011
                          Again all, a "tool" for us as trainers; if your use of powerpoint doesn't lose your audience, young or old, then great, but I think the "issues" raised can confirm that it sometimes can be used incorrectly??  "Death by powerpoint" is a reality to avoid!!

                          The Den Chief topic that started this, I've never personally seen presented successfully using powerpoint, only the "hands-on" methods in the syllabus; what makes this training successful, I believe, is training the Den Leaders as well as how to correctly "utilize" their new Den Chiefs.  If you don't train both, then 1/2 of your "team" is missing the whole point of just why the Scouts are there??

                          - Art