Re: [Scouter_T] New YPT Policy FAQ

  • Dan Kurtenbach
    Message 1 of 8 , Jun 4, 2010
      Instructions for getting to the Youth Protection trainng -- I also sent the following out to my district today.

      Dan Kurtenbach
      Fairfax, VA
      --------------------------------

      Navigating To The Online Youth Protection Training

      In order to take BSA's online Youth Protection Training, you need a MyScouting account.  THIS IS NOT THE SAME AS BEING REGISTERED AS A MEMBER OF THE BSA.  They are two separate things.  The MyScouting account gives you access to online training and other features of the MyScouting website.  Some of those features may require a BSA Member ID number, which you get when you complete an application form and submit it to Council to become a registered member of BSA.

      In short, you can take the Youth Protection Training even if you are NOT YET a registered member of the BSA, but you still need a MyScouting account, which you can get even if you are not a registered member of the BSA.

      WHETHER YOU ARE REGISTERED AS A BSA MEMBER OR NOT, HERE IS HOW TO GET A MYSCOUTING ACCOUNT SO THAT YOU CAN TAKE THE YOUTH PROTECTION TRAINING.
      1.  Browse to www.myscouting.org.
      2.  Under "New to MyScouting?", click on the "Create an Account" button.
      3.  Work through the registration pages.  Select a username, tell the system whether you ARE currently registered as a member of BSA ("I am a Member") or are NOT currently registered as a member of BSA ("I am not a Member"), enter your address information, type out the letters/numbers in the little image box, and then check your email (including the spam/junk folders, if it doesn't appear in your Inbox) for the link that creates your account.
      4.  Once you have your MyScouting account set up, go take the Youth Protection Training.

      So, to take the Youth Protection Training, browse to www.myscouting.org.
      1.  Sign in.
      2.  At the MyScouting homepage, select E-Learning from the left sidebar.
      3.  Click on the "General" tab.  Under "Basic Training," find "Youth Protection Training."  Click on the "Take Course" link.
      4.  When finished, print out the course completion certificate.

      When you're done with Youth Protection Training, check out the other online training that is available in the E-Learning section of MyScouting.org.

    • Scott Smith
      Message 2 of 8 , Jun 8, 2010
        I am trying to locate information on training materials in Spanish. In
        particular, I would like to understand if their is a copy of Youth
        Protection and This Is Scouting in Spanish. If so, what are those DVD's
        order numbers? Does one procure them through the Scout Shop or some other
        way via National. Thanks for the help.

        Scott Smith
        Catalina Council Training Chair

      • Bill
        Message 3 of 8 , Jun 8, 2010
          Youth Protection Guidelines (video and leader's guide) (No. 94-126)
          This is the Spanish-dubbed translation of the full-length Youth Protection Training for Leaders.

          For more information see:

          http://scouting.org/sitecore/content/HispanicInitiatives/Resources.aspx

          http://www.scouting.org/Training/YouthProtection/CubScout.aspx?sc_lang=en

          --- In scouter_t@yahoogroups.com, Scott Smith <smithds@...> wrote:

          > I am trying to locate information on training materials in Spanish. In
          > particular, I would like to understand if their is a copy of Youth
          > Protection and This Is Scouting in Spanish. If so, what are those DVD's
          > order numbers? Does one procure them through the Scout Shop or some other
          > way via National. Thanks for the help.
          >
          > Scott Smith
          > Catalina Council Training Chair

        • Jamie Niss Dunn
          Message 4 of 8 , Jun 8, 2010
            There was a version of NLE in Spanish, so I would hope they've done This is Scouting.

            See: http://www.scouting.org/sitecore/content/Home/MultiCultural/HispanicLatino.aspx

            Here's the contact info for the Multicultural Markets team:

            Contact Information
            Phone: (972) 580–2119
            Fax: (972) 580–7870
            multicultural@...
            http://www.scouting.org/scoutsource/MultiCultural/Resources.aspx

            They should be able to help you.

            Jamie Niss Dunn
            Pack Trainer, Pack 512
            Blaine/Coon Rapids, MN
            Troop Committee, Troop 509
            Ham Lake, MN
            Secretary, Crew 849
            Coon Rapids, MN
            Cub Scout Training Coordinator
            Cub Scout Roundtable Commissioner
            Three Rivers District

          • Michael Crothers
            Message 5 of 8 , Jun 8, 2010
              This is the scouting.org Spanish resource page which list everything available in Spanish

              http://www.scouting.org/sitecore/content/HispanicInitiatives/Resources.aspx

              Yours In Scouting

              Mike Crothers

              and a good old staffer too NE-CS-13

              and I used to be a good old Fox WE4-57-06

              Message 6 of 8 , Jun 8, 2010
                Another idea...

                My council's Scoutreach professional had copies of EVERYthing available in
                Spanish in her office, ready to use. I've only put on training in Spanish
                once, and she supplied everything we needed. Sure saved a lot not having to
                invest in the syllabus and related publications. But if you are going to be
                doing this repeatedly, it might be easier to invest.

                And my apologies if someone else posted this, I haven't been reading
                everything.

                Teresa
                Vulcan District Cub Training Chair
                Greater AL Council