Re: [Scouter_T] New YPT Policy FAQ

  • Dan Kurtenbach
    Message 1 of 8 , Jun 4, 2010
      I sent the following out to my district today.  (References are to our Council website, and the phone numbers are to our Council office.)

      Dan Kurtenbach
      Fairfax, VA
      --------------------------------------

      As many of you have heard, the Boy Scouts of America has instituted a new training requirement for all registered adults, effective as of June 1, 2010.  Following is the text of the important documents linked from the National Capital Area Council web page, www.boyscouts-ncac.org.  The documents are also attached to this email.   Please note the following:

      * MERIT BADGE COUNSELORS ARE required to take Youth Protection Training.

      * You CAN take Youth Protection Training online even if you are not (or not yet) registered.  See below for Directions for Completing Youth Protection Training.  PARENTS are strongly encouraged to take the online training even if not registered as leaders.

      * Be sure to print out the course completion certificate when you have completed the training.

      * If you ARE registered but can't find your BSA registration number, contact your unit leader or unit Advancement Chair.  The registration numbers (as well as registration cards) are available in the Internet Advancement System.

      * Tiger Cub Adult Partners appear on the Pack roster, but are NOT registered positions and do not need to take the training (though it is stongly encouraged).

      * The "Executive Officer" of the Chartered Organization that sponsors the unit (for example, the PTA president, the church pastor, the chairman of the organization's board) appears on the unit roster, but is NOT a registered position and does not need to take the training (though it is strongly encouraged).  However, the CHARTERED ORGANIZATION REPRESENTATIVE (COR) IS a registered position and must take the training.

      Important Changes to the Boy Scouts of America’s Youth Protection Training Policies
       Youth safety is the No. 1 concern of the BSA.

      To increase awareness of this societal problem and to create even greater barriers to abuse than already exist today in Scouting, the Boy Scouts of America is implementing several important changes to further enhance its Youth Protection policies:
       Effective June 1, 2010:

      - If you do not know your member ID number, contact your unit leader or committee chairman. Your council can also assist you.

      - If you have taken Youth Protection Training online but did not input your member ID number, please log back on to the Training section of MyScouting and input your member ID so the training will be linked with your records.

      - If you have taken Youth Protection Training within the past two years but did not take the course online, log on to MyScouting to ensure your records are up to date, or contact your council and have them verify that your Youth Protection Training records are accurate.

      Finally, please share these important changes with other Scouters.

      Youth Protection Training is available online at http://www.scouting.org/Training/YouthProtection.aspx.

      To find out more about the Youth Protection policies of the Boy Scouts of America and how to help Scouting keep your family safe, see the information available in any of the Cub Scouting or Boy Scouting handbooks, or go to http://www.scouting.org/Training/YouthProtection.aspx.
       Thank you for your commitment to our nation’s young people and to Scouting. _______________________________________________

      DIRECTIONS FOR COMPLETING YOUTH PROTECTION TRAINING
      If you ARE currently a registered adult Scout volunteer:
      1. Log onto www.MyScouting.org.
      2. Complete the Youth Protection Training. (NOTE: The test quiz is not part of the actual training.)
      3. Provide a copy of the completion certificate to the Council either by fax to (240) 395-0610 or email to kim.nelson@...
      If you are NOT currently a registered adult Scout volunteer:
      1. Complete an official BSA NEW ADULT APPLICATION.
      2. Register on www.MyScouting.org to create a user name and password.
      3. Choose “I am not a member.”
      4. Complete the Youth Protection Training. (NOTE: The test quiz is not part of the actual training.)
      5. Provide a copy of the completion certificate to the Council either by fax to (240) 395-0610 or email to kim.nelson@....
       IMPORTANT
      * You may need to refresh your screen or log out then back in to view your certificate.
      * Once your Youth Protection Training completion certificate has been received, your application will be processed as usual.
       QUESTIONS? Contact Registration at 301-214-9187 or 301-214-9172.

      Boy Scouts of America
      Youth Protection Training Policy Changes Questions and Answers June 3, 2010

      The recent changes in Youth Protection requirements have generated a number of questions. The following are answers to some of the questions we have received. We will send regular updates to this information.

      Q: Does the executive officer (Institutional Head) of a unit need to take Youth Protection training?
      A: If the executive officer is not a registered leader, he or she is not required to complete Youth Protection training, although it is strongly recommended. If the executive officer is registered as an adult leader, then he or she must complete Youth Protection training.
       Q: I am a Tiger Cub adult partner and ScoutParent. Do I need to take Youth Protection training?
      A: The Tiger Cub adult partner and ScoutParent designations are not registered adult positions; therefore, mandatory Youth Protection training is not required. It is strongly recommended, however, that all adults involved in Scouting take Youth Protection training. All registered adults are required to take Youth Protection training.
       Q: I am sure I know all there is to know about youth protection. Can I "test out" by only taking the Youth Protection online quiz?
      A: No. You must complete the entire online training in order for your Youth Protection certificate to be valid. This ensures you receive the latest information on BSA Youth Protection.

      Q: Are parents who attend weekly meetings, weekend campouts, or summer resident camp required to take Youth Protection
      training?
      A: Only if they are registered leaders. However, it is highly recommended that any adult participating with your unit activities take Youth Protection training. Having them register as adult leaders is also highly recommended.
       Q: What is the deadline to meet the new Youth Protection training standard?
      A: All registered leaders should take or renew their Youth Protection training so that it is current as of today. A unit will not be able to recharter without its key registered adults being up-to-date on Youth Protection training. No individual leader will be able to register without being up-to-date on his or her Youth Protection training.
       Q: Can a council or district organize Youth Protection group training for its adults?
      A: Yes. It is encouraged that adults take the training via the online module, but the instructor-led model is still acceptable as long as the most current version of the Youth Protection DVD (Item No. 610327 or 36121) is used and the end-of-course quiz is proctored by the trainer at the end of the training session. Reminder: It is critical that training completion certificates be issued after successful completion and that a formal training record roster is submitted to the council registrar so proper credit can be recorded in the profiles of each participant.
       Q: Why a new training policy on such short notice?
      A: Youth safety is the No. 1 concern of the BSA. It is important to implement this training at all levels of the organization. The BSA is always reevaluating and reassessing its policies to ensure the safest youth program and the best training is being offered. The BSA's Youth Protection training has been in existence long enough for it to be understood and accepted as a mandated training for all registered BSA adult leaders.

      Q: The new policy indicates that a Youth Protection certificate of completion must be submitted "at the time of application."
      What does that mean?
      A: A BSA application should only be collected from a prospective leader after they have fully completed the form, attached a copy of their Youth Protection certificate of completion, and submitted that to the Council Service Center.
       Q: Will both the regular and Venturing leader versions of Youth Protection training meet the requirement?
      A: Yes, as long as they use the most current versions of the DVDs for group training. The online version is the preferred method, as it allows for those taking the training to get one-on-one training and take all the time they need for review. The online quiz does not require printing of any test pages. They are issued an immediate certificate of completion and it allows for the updating of their ScoutNet record.
       Q: Do leaders need to wait until they have final clearance on the background check to meet with youth?
      A: No. As long as their application is fully completed, approved, and submitted to the Council Service Center, their fee is paid, and Youth Protection training is certified, they will be able to interact with youth while the Criminal Background Check (CBC) is still pending.

      Q: If a unit's leaders' Youth Protection training is not current, should we not register any new youth to their units until they do so, or will those who are not current be dealt with through the recharter process?
      A: This policy does not affect youth registrations. However, if a unit's leadership has not complied with the new Youth Protection standard by the next rechartering period, the unit will NOT be able to complete its registration.
       Q: Will the system be able to handle the overload of people taking training at the last minute?A: The system platform that houses E-Learning is expected to be able to handle the high volume.
       Q: Will the new adult applications have this information?
      A: Yes. All new applications will reflect these changes.

      Q: When does the change go into effect?
      A: As of June 1, 2010, all registered adult volunteers must complete Youth Protection training prior to beginning their volunteer service.
       Q: Do merit badge counselors need to take Youth Protection training?A: Yes. A merit badge counselor is a registered volunteer position.
       Q: If a person is not a registered leader, how can he or she log in and take the Youth Protection training?
      A: A person does not have to be a registered volunteer to take Youth Protection training. To take the training, log in to www. and create an account. From the myscouting.org portal, click on E-training and take Youth Protection. Upon myscouting.orgcompletion, print a certificate and submit with a new application or submit to the unit leader for processing at the local council.
       Q: Can units that have some adults that have not completed Youth Protection training be rechartered?
      A: In order for a unit to be rechartered, it must have all the required positions filled with Youth Protection trained adults. Adults who have not completed Youth Protection training will not be reregistered.
       Q: Is there a grace period to get all adults trained?
      A: No. If a leader's Youth Protection training is not current, the volunteer must take or renew their training immediately. Every effort should be taken so that all adults involved in Scouting have a current certificate of completion of the Youth Protection training.

      Q: Does all volunteers mean all volunteers-even board members and council presidents?
      A: Yes. The goal is to have all registered volunteers Youth Protection-trained. This is an important statement for us an organization and shows our commitment to the well-being of our youth members.- If you have not taken Youth Protection Training within the past two years, please log on to MyScouting and take the training. Be sure to have your member ID number. The number can be found on your Boy Scouts of America membership card. Youth Protection Training is required for all registered volunteers.   New leaders are required to take Youth Protection Training before they submit their application for registration. The certificate of completion for this training must be submitted at the time application is made and before volunteer service with youth begins.   Youth Protection Training must be taken every two years.  If a volunteer’s Youth Protection Training record is not current at the time of recharter, the volunteer will not be reregistered. To
      ensure these policies are fully implemented, please take the following steps:

    • Dan Kurtenbach
      Message 2 of 8 , Jun 4, 2010
        Instructions for getting to the Youth Protection trainng -- I also sent the following out to my district today.

        Dan Kurtenbach
        Fairfax, VA
        --------------------------------

        Navigating To The Online Youth Protection Training

        In order to take BSA's online Youth Protection Training, you need a MyScouting account.  THIS IS NOT THE SAME AS BEING REGISTERED AS A MEMBER OF THE BSA.  They are two separate things.  The MyScouting account gives you access to online training and other features of the MyScouting website.  Some of those features may require a BSA Member ID number, which you get when you complete an application form and submit it to Council to become a registered member of BSA.

        In short, you can take the Youth Protection Training even if you are NOT YET a registered member of the BSA, but you still need a MyScouting account, which you can get even if you are not a registered member of the BSA.

        WHETHER YOU ARE REGISTERED AS A BSA MEMBER OR NOT, HERE IS HOW TO GET A MYSCOUTING ACCOUNT SO THAT YOU CAN TAKE THE YOUTH PROTECTION TRAINING.
        1.  Browse to www.myscouting.org.
        2.  Under "New to MyScouting?", click on the "Create an Account" button.
        3.  Work through the registration pages.  Select a username, tell the system whether you ARE currently registered as a member of BSA ("I am a Member") or are NOT currently registered as a member of BSA ("I am not a Member"), enter your address information, type out the letters/numbers in the little image box, and then check your email (including the spam/junk folders, if it doesn't appear in your Inbox) for the link that creates your account.
        4.  Once you have your MyScouting account set up, go take the Youth Protection Training.

        So, to take the Youth Protection Training, browse to www.myscouting.org.
        1.  Sign in.
        2.  At the MyScouting homepage, select E-Learning from the left sidebar.
        3.  Click on the "General" tab.  Under "Basic Training," find "Youth Protection Training."  Click on the "Take Course" link.
        4.  When finished, print out the course completion certificate.

        When you're done with Youth Protection Training, check out the other online training that is available in the E-Learning section of MyScouting.org.

      • Scott Smith
        Message 3 of 8 , Jun 8, 2010
          I am trying to locate information on training materials in Spanish. In
          particular, I would like to understand if their is a copy of Youth
          Protection and This Is Scouting in Spanish. If so, what are those DVD's
          order numbers? Does one procure them through the Scout Shop or some other
          way via National. Thanks for the help.

          Scott Smith
          Catalina Council Training Chair

        • Bill
          Message 4 of 8 , Jun 8, 2010
            Youth Protection Guidelines (video and leader's guide) (No. 94-126)
            This is the Spanish-dubbed translation of the full-length Youth Protection Training for Leaders.

            For more information see:

            http://scouting.org/sitecore/content/HispanicInitiatives/Resources.aspx

            http://www.scouting.org/Training/YouthProtection/CubScout.aspx?sc_lang=en

            --- In scouter_t@yahoogroups.com, Scott Smith <smithds@...> wrote:

            > I am trying to locate information on training materials in Spanish. In
            > particular, I would like to understand if their is a copy of Youth
            > Protection and This Is Scouting in Spanish. If so, what are those DVD's
            > order numbers? Does one procure them through the Scout Shop or some other
            > way via National. Thanks for the help.
            >
            > Scott Smith
            > Catalina Council Training Chair

          • Jamie Niss Dunn
            Message 5 of 8 , Jun 8, 2010
              There was a version of NLE in Spanish, so I would hope they've done This is Scouting.

              See: http://www.scouting.org/sitecore/content/Home/MultiCultural/HispanicLatino.aspx

              Here's the contact info for the Multicultural Markets team:

              Contact Information
              Phone: (972) 580–2119
              Fax: (972) 580–7870
              multicultural@...
              http://www.scouting.org/scoutsource/MultiCultural/Resources.aspx

              They should be able to help you.

              Jamie Niss Dunn
              Pack Trainer, Pack 512
              Blaine/Coon Rapids, MN
              Troop Committee, Troop 509
              Ham Lake, MN
              Secretary, Crew 849
              Coon Rapids, MN
              Cub Scout Training Coordinator
              Cub Scout Roundtable Commissioner
              Three Rivers District

            • Michael Crothers
              Message 6 of 8 , Jun 8, 2010
                This is the scouting.org Spanish resource page which list everything available in Spanish

                http://www.scouting.org/sitecore/content/HispanicInitiatives/Resources.aspx

                Yours In Scouting

                Mike Crothers

                and a good old staffer too NE-CS-13

                and I used to be a good old Fox WE4-57-06

                Message 7 of 8 , Jun 8, 2010
                  Another idea...

                  My council's Scoutreach professional had copies of EVERYthing available in
                  Spanish in her office, ready to use. I've only put on training in Spanish
                  once, and she supplied everything we needed. Sure saved a lot not having to
                  invest in the syllabus and related publications. But if you are going to be
                  doing this repeatedly, it might be easier to invest.

                  And my apologies if someone else posted this, I haven't been reading
                  everything.

                  Teresa
                  Vulcan District Cub Training Chair
                  Greater AL Council