Program Planning

  • Elaine D. Boyd
    Message 1 of 4 , May 18, 2010
      I promise - this is my last request for the day! <grin> This was
      supposed to be my quiet week and things changed quickly last night.

      What sort of tid-bits of wisdom would you give to Scout leaders on
      program planning? My audience will be a mix of Cub Scout, Boy Scout and
      Venturing leaders. I am looking for more than just a rehash of what you
      would give as part of their basic training.

      I was asked by the council training chair to fill in for her this
      Saturday at our council's program kickoff (event with lots of info about
      anything and everything "Scout" in our council. Each district will have
      a table, as well as each of our camps, popcorn, training, Wood Badge,
      etc.). In addition to information being available, we also do some
      limited training. The session I have been asked to help with is
      entitled: Program Planning, budgets and funding. Someone from council
      will be doing the budget and funding part. I'll be doing the program
      planning part. The total time for this training is 45 minutes. I have
      an email into council to see if anyone there has an outline for the
      training.

      ~Elaine Boyd
      I used to be a Bear NE I-220
      And a good old staffer too! NE I-243, NE I-250, NE I-269, NE I-272
      Abnaki District ~ Daniel Webster Council ~ NH

    • bljohnson95901@comcast.net
      Message 2 of 4 , May 18, 2010
        Try this site.  http://www.crossroadsbsa.org/ProgramsofScoutingMenu/BoyScouts/ProgramPlanning/tabid/441/Default.aspx

        You need to cover the annual planning session followed by the monthly planning updates conducted in the committee meetings.

        Bruce

      • tomb@optonline.net
        Message 3 of 4 , May 19, 2010
          The Boy Scout program planning presentation at crossroadsbsa.org contains major errors. It was written by someone familiar with cub scout planning, not boy scout planning.

          The patrol leaders' council, not the adult leaders, is responsible for planning and conducting the troop's activities. The patrol leaders' council is composed of the following voting members: senior patrol leader, assistant senior patrol leader, patrol leaders, troop guide, Venture crew chief, Varsity team captain.
          The troop's activities are selected and planned at the annual program planning conference. The troop's yearly plan is then submitted to the troop committee for approval. The troop committee either approves the plan or makes alternative suggestions for the patrol leaders' council to consider. At its monthly meetings, the patrol leaders' council organizes and assigns activity responsibilities for the weekly troop meetings. The troop committee interacts with the patrol leaders' council through the Scoutmaster.

          Google "boy scout annual planning" to see boy scout annual planning power points from many troops and unit commissioners.

          YIS,
          Tom Brenner
        • Frank Toothaker