Re: New Cub Leader Training Syllabus

  • Bill
    Message 1 of 23 , May 12 10:29 AM
      It should be available for purchase in your local Scout Shop some time this month. It is currently available via Scoutstuff.org. Select: LITERATURE >> LEADERS & TRAINING

      Bill

      --- In scouter_t@yahoogroups.com, "Elaine D. Boyd" <edboyd@...> wrote:

      > Has anyone held the syllabus in their hands yet? I'm assuming that they
      > are not available to buy, but will be given out to training chairs?
      >
      > I did the Den Leader Fast start training online. I thought it was quite
      > good.
      >

      > ~Elaine Boyd
      > Scouter in NH

    • Jamie Niss Dunn
      Message 2 of 23 , May 12 10:43 AM
        I bought it today. So far what I've seen its mostly like the previous course. Some more emphasis on more hands on activities. Updated slides, and the Den Leader sub-modules as Teresa said. Basically, there's a common introduction to being a den leader and then position specific sections, based on Tiger Cub, Cub Scout or Webelos Scout advancement and den meeting activities. I envision that we will still run separate breakouts for each type of den leader.

        I haven't had a chance to review it in depth, but so far I like what I see.

        Jamie Niss Dunn
        Pack Trainer, Pack 512
        Blaine/Coon Rapids, MN
        Troop Committee, Troop 509
        Ham Lake, MN
        Secretary, Crew 849
        Coon Rapids, MN
        Cub Scout Training Coordinator
        Cub Scout Roundtable Commissioner
        Three Rivers District

      • Elaine D. Boyd
        Message 3 of 23 , May 12 10:46 AM
          Thanks! Didn't even think to look there. I'll have to place my order
          tonight.

          Question for the group. Are you going to continue doing live training
          similar to how you are doing it now or are you going to use the DVD
          option? Of course, none of us has seen the DVD yet... I am assuming
          the DVD will be similar to the online version - kinda like what BSA did
          with the This is Scouting DVD.

          Still so many unanswered questions!

          ~Elaine Boyd
          Scouter in NH

          Message 4 of 23 , May 12 11:53 AM
            To answer Elaine's question of "Are you going to continue doing live training similar to how you are doing it now or are you going to use the DVD option?", we probably ought to turn this into Monty Hall on "Let's Make A Deal!": so trainers, are you going to keep your live training, or trade it in for the DVD behind this curtain. Or, the one that will be there in July! ;^)

            Oooh, Monty . . . I think I . . . maybe I . . . I don't know I . . . oh darn it, I want to keep my live training . . . (but can I have a peek behind the curtain?).

            (Kidding!)

            Truth be told, assuming that the production quality and content is as good as the new Fast Starts (psst: check it out on www.myscouting.org) and that it will replicate what is "on line" (so it won't be super secret handshake stuff only for those in the BOCAT, or Brotherhood Of Cub Adult Trainers), an ideal time to rely on greater DVD use is when you've got a crowd of mainly Pack Trainer types (anyone who is going to take the word back to the parents and potential leaders, so it may be someone who is primarily signed up as a COR, Chair or Cubmaster), who are then going to take the DVD back to their own packs.

            By using more DVD in that sort of audience, you (and they, when they take the DVD as trained Pack Trainers) can use it for the bulk of the information download, and then you (and they) can spice it up where the DVD will need supplemental information, action, questions, games, songs and silly stuff. (Cue someone on EDGE method.)

            Even where you can't identify that group as the "audience", I suspect I will use some DVD in any live training, if for no other reason than to "hook" them into looking at it (or the on line training) later, when they want to either show it to someone else, or when they want to revisit the segment of the class that came before lunch that was on something really really important but they zoned out at that point and all they remembered was staring at the sandwiches that just came into the room and wondering "do you think they have a roast beef with my name on it over there" . . .

            Plus, I'll just chuck in the DVD when I feel like phoning it in (kidding!!), like when I feel like Mrs. Krabappel when teaching Bart Simpson: http://www.thesimpsons.com/bios/bios_school_krabappel.htm

            Bert Bender
            Pack and District Trainer
            South Fulton District, Atlanta Area Council
            Pipe Down, I'm about to Start Another Filmstrip (kidding!)
          • Teresa Hall
            Message 5 of 23 , May 12 12:03 PM
              I've informally polled my leaders and formally polled my trainers. We are
              going to continue our normal schedule of trainer-led trainings until people
              just quit coming, using the new syllabus that I ordered last week (along
              with the Den and Pack Meeting Resource Guide). We still think it is the
              most effective way to train a new leader, so we'll soldier on.

              Teresa Hall
              Vulcan District Cub Training Chair
              Greater AL Council

              Message 6 of 23 , May 12 12:09 PM
                Burt - too funny! I am glad that I did not have a mouthful of liquid
                when reading your reply!

                Can I officially call myself old now??? I remember film strips in grade
                school. I always wanted to be selected to advance the film at the sound
                of the beep. What a flash back!

                Yours in Scouting,

                ~Elaine

                Message 7 of 23 , May 12 12:29 PM
                  I like Burt's answer better than mine! <grin> ...

                  both the funny parts, and the speculation about using the DVD to enhance
                  trainer-led sessions and to seed future training by others.

                  Teresa

                  Message 8 of 23 , May 12 12:34 PM
                    <<We are going to continue our normal schedule of trainer-led trainings until people just quit coming, using the new syllabus that I ordered last week (along
                    with the Den and Pack Meeting Resource Guide). We still think it is the
                    most effective way to train a new leader, so we'll soldier on.>>
                    Ditto - and the DVD is not live action - it's PowerPoint slides - it still needs the live trainer to facilitate the course. You can't just plug in the DVD and let it run. There is narration and facilitation of the hands on portions of the training, which have to be delivered by a live trainer.

                    Jamie Niss Dunn
                    Pack Trainer, Pack 512
                    Blaine/Coon Rapids, MN
                    Troop Committee, Troop 509
                    Ham Lake, MN
                    Secretary, Crew 849
                    Coon Rapids, MN
                    Cub Scout Training Coordinator
                    Cub Scout Roundtable Commissioner
                    Three Rivers District

                  • Elaine Ziegler
                    Message 9 of 23 , May 12 1:46 PM
                      We plan to continue "live" training. That constant interaction makes
                      it easier for folks to ask questions and not just listen all the time.

                      Elaine Ziegler
                      Arrowhead Training Chair
                      Greater AL Council

                      On May 12, 2010, at 2:03 PM, Teresa Hall wrote:

                      > I've informally polled my leaders and formally polled my trainers.
                      > We are
                      > going to continue our normal schedule of trainer-led trainings
                      > until people
                      > just quit coming, using the new syllabus that I ordered last week
                      > (along
                      > with the Den and Pack Meeting Resource Guide). We still think it is
                      > the
                      > most effective way to train a new leader, so we'll soldier on.
                      >
                      > Teresa Hall
                      > Vulcan District Cub Training Chair
                      > Greater AL Council
                      >
                      > On Wed, May 12, 2010 at 12:46 PM, Elaine D. Boyd <edboyd@cri-
                      > mms.com> wrote:
                      >
                      > > Thanks! Didn't even think to look there. I'll have to place my order
                      > > tonight.
                      > >
                      > > Question for the group. Are you going to continue doing live
                      > training
                      > > similar to how you are doing it now or are you going to use the DVD
                      > > option? Of course, none of us has seen the DVD yet... I am assuming
                      > > the DVD will be similar to the online version - kinda like what
                      > BSA did
                      > > with the This is Scouting DVD.
                      > >
                      > > Still so many unanswered questions!
                      > >
                      > > ~Elaine Boyd
                      > > Scouter in NH

                    • Dawn Gent
                      Message 10 of 23 , May 12 2:30 PM
                        <and the DVD is not live action - it's PowerPoint slides - it still needs the live trainer to facilitate the course. You can't just plug in the DVD and let it run. There is narration and facilitation of the hands on portions of the training, which have to be delivered by a live trainer.>

                        I've already divided up the 217 PowerPoint slides for use by my trainers in the breakout sessions. The improvement I see is that the slides now include the notes so it is more easily transferable to other users, and still useful if someone forgets the book.

                        Dawn Gent
                        Wilmington, DE

                        "True leadership lies in guiding others to success. In ensuring that everyone is performing at their best, doing the work they are pledged to do and doing it well."
                        - Bill Owens

                      • Geoffrey Mayer
                        Message 11 of 23 , May 13 4:40 AM
                          One advantage of the new course is that the slides are PowerPoint again. If you are into tweaking
                          or correcting or whatever, you don't need additional software as was needed with the previous PDF
                          slides.

                          God bless!

                          Geoffrey Mayer
                          Black Swamp Area Council
                          Northwestern Ohio
                        • tttrack@aol.com
                          Message 12 of 23 , May 13 6:29 AM
                            I have the syllabus in a pdf file. It is about 90mg. If someone will
                            tell me how, I will post it!!

                            Tom Travis
                            OHC Training Chair
                            Trail Quail

                            In a message dated 5/13/2010 7:40:38 A.M. Eastern Daylight Time,
                            geoffrey@... writes:

                            One advantage of the new course is that the slides are PowerPoint again. If
                            you are into tweaking
                            or correcting or whatever, you don't need additional software as was
                            needed with the previous PDF
                            slides.

                            God bless!

                            Geoffrey Mayer
                            Black Swamp Area Council
                            Northwestern Ohio

                          • Mike
                            Message 13 of 23 , May 13 2:43 PM
                              To the comment about having Den Leader break-out sessions with the new material, I had also considered that option when I looked the Den Leader curriculum. However, if the idea is to have one training course and not have a Den Leader come back (hence the name "Den Leader Training"), then they should be exposed to all the 3 components. This would be especially true of new Tiger Den Leaders.

                              On the other hand, there are about 76 slides in total (although there is still a little repetition between sections) and that is a lot to cover.

                              It'll be interesting to see how the on-line materials handles the groups. For my first classes, I will probably schedule more time for Den Leaders and do all sections for all Den Leaders.

                              I was curious what others are thinking.

                              Yours in Scouting,
                              Mike Reep
                              NCAC Cub Scout Leader Training Chair
                            • Steve
                              Message 14 of 23 , May 14 10:27 AM
                                All,
                                I have posted the syllabus to my online file storage site. Having the digital does not replace having a hardcopy, but now you can send sections to your staff so they can prep for the training.

                                http://www.mediafire.com/?sharekey=500ff354a344ba110de4fc1039a01674f7e589a71a722cc2f88875faa4c6c51e

                                Yours In Scouting,
                                Steve McDanal
                                Cub Scout Leadership Development Chair
                                Western Shore District, BSA

                                I used to be an Eagle and a Good Ol Staffer Too...

                                Once an Eagle, Always an Eagle

                                --- In scouter_t@yahoogroups.com, tttrack@... wrote:

                                > I have the syllabus in a pdf file. It is about 90mg. If someone will
                                > tell me how, I will post it!!
                                >
                                > Tom Travis
                                > OHC Training Chair
                                > Trail Quail
                                >

                                > In a message dated 5/13/2010 7:40:38 A.M. Eastern Daylight Time,
                                > geoffrey@... writes:
                                >

                                > One advantage of the new course is that the slides are PowerPoint again. If
                                > you are into tweaking
                                > or correcting or whatever, you don't need additional software as was
                                > needed with the previous PDF
                                > slides.
                                >
                                > God bless!
                                >
                                > Geoffrey Mayer
                                > Black Swamp Area Council
                                > Northwestern Ohio

                              • Elaine Ziegler
                                Message 15 of 23 , May 14 10:51 AM
                                  Steve, I just downloaded the CSLST syllabus and after page 9 it only
                                  has the odd number pages, no evens. Have I done something wrong?

                                  Elaine Ziegler
                                  Arrowhead District Training Chair
                                  Greater AL Council

                                  On May 14, 2010, at 12:27 PM, Steve wrote:

                                  > All,
                                  > I have posted the syllabus to my online file storage site. Having
                                  > the digital does not replace having a hardcopy, but now you can
                                  > send sections to your staff so they can prep for the training.
                                  >
                                  > http://www.mediafire.com/?
                                  > sharekey=500ff354a344ba110de4fc1039a01674f7e589a71a722cc2f88875faa4c6c
                                  > 51e
                                  >
                                  > Yours In Scouting,
                                  > Steve McDanal
                                  > Cub Scout Leadership Development Chair
                                  > Western Shore District, BSA
                                  >
                                  > I used to be an Eagle and a Good Ol Staffer Too...
                                  >
                                  > Once an Eagle, Always an Eagle
                                  >
                                  > --- In scouter_t@yahoogroups.com, tttrack@... wrote:
                                  > >
                                  > > I have the syllabus in a pdf file. It is about 90mg. If someone will
                                  > > tell me how, I will post it!!
                                  > >
                                  > > Tom Travis
                                  > > OHC Training Chair
                                  > > Trail Quail
                                  > >

                                  > > In a message dated 5/13/2010 7:40:38 A.M. Eastern Daylight Time,
                                  > > geoffrey@... writes:
                                  > >

                                  > > One advantage of the new course is that the slides are PowerPoint
                                  > again. If
                                  > > you are into tweaking
                                  > > or correcting or whatever, you don't need additional software as was
                                  > > needed with the previous PDF
                                  > > slides.
                                  > >
                                  > > God bless!
                                  > >
                                  > > Geoffrey Mayer
                                  > > Black Swamp Area Council
                                  > > Northwestern Ohio

                                • Michael Crothers
                                  Message 16 of 23 , May 14 11:13 AM
                                    If you look at the second half of the download you will find the even pages

                                    Yours In Scouting

                                    Mike Crothers

                                    Cub Scout Roundtable Commissioner

                                    Assistant District Commissioner

                                    District Web Master

                                    Lagonda District,

                                    Relationship Committee Member

                                    Tecumseh Council

                                    and a good old staffer too NE-CS-13

                                    and I used to be a good old Fox WE4-57-06

                                    Steve, I just downloaded the CSLST syllabus and after page 9 it only

                                    has the odd number pages, no evens. Have I done something wrong?

                                    Elaine Ziegler

                                    Arrowhead District Training Chair

                                    Greater AL Council

                                    On May 14, 2010, at 12:27 PM, Steve wrote:

                                    > All,

                                    > I have posted the syllabus to my online file storage site. Having

                                    > the digital does not replace having a hardcopy, but now you can

                                    > send sections to your staff so they can prep for the training.

                                    > http://www.mediafire.com/?

                                    > sharekey=500ff354a344ba110de4fc1039a01674f7e589a71a722cc2f88875faa4c6c

                                    > 51e

                                    > Yours In Scouting,

                                    > Steve McDanal

                                    > Cub Scout Leadership Development Chair

                                    > Western Shore District, BSA

                                    > I used to be an Eagle and a Good Ol Staffer Too...

                                    > Once an Eagle, Always an Eagle

                                    > --- In scouter_t@yahoogroups.com, tttrack@... wrote:

                                    > > I have the syllabus in a pdf file. It is about 90mg. If someone will

                                    > > tell me how, I will post it!!

                                    > > Tom Travis

                                    > > OHC Training Chair

                                    > > Trail Quail

                                    > > In a message dated 5/13/2010 7:40:38 A.M. Eastern Daylight Time,

                                    > > geoffrey@... writes:

                                    > > One advantage of the new course is that the slides are PowerPoint

                                    > again. If

                                    > > you are into tweaking

                                    > > or correcting or whatever, you don't need additional software as was

                                    > > needed with the previous PDF

                                    > > slides.

                                    > > God bless!

                                    > > Geoffrey Mayer

                                    > > Black Swamp Area Council

                                    > > Northwestern Ohio

                                  • Elaine Ziegler
                                    Message 17 of 23 , May 14 12:31 PM
                                      Thanks, Mike. It is indeed there. Messed up, but there. :-)

                                      Elaine Ziegler