Varsity Committee Chair & Members Training Requirements

  • Mike C
    Message 1 of 4 , Apr 16 6:48 AM
      In addition to "Youth Protection" and "This is Scouting" what other training is required (if any) for a Varsity committee chair & member to be considered trained?

      Mike Crothers
      ADC Lagonda District
      Tecumseh Council
    • Mark Ellis
      Message 2 of 4 , Apr 16 2:33 PM
        Fast Start for Varsity Leaders and Varsity Leader Specific Training. Some
        folks say only the Varsity Scout Coach and Assistant Coaches take VLST, and
        Varsity Committee members should take Troop Committee Challenge instead.
        That's incorrect. All Varsity leaders take VLST.

        Yours In Scouting,

        Mark Ellis

        Training Chair

        Aquia District

        Stafford, VA

        (703) 376-4150

        "Lead, follow, or get out of the way." -- Thomas Paine, 1737 - 1809

      • corinnajones@hotmail.com
        Message 3 of 4 , Apr 17 6:00 AM
          I've never seen either offered. Would it be more commonly available in the
          LDS community?
          Thanks,
          Corinna

          Message 4 of 4 , Apr 17 2:52 PM
            You would think. But, sadly, no. Typically (in the areas I have lived),
            the Varsity leaders take SM training and then a (hopefully) knowledgeable
            person teaches the leader the differences.

            The Varsity Leader Specific is pitiful. It really is the Scoutmaster
            training with a few words changed. It does not really teach the Varsity
            program well becasue there are major differences in the program other than
            simply wording changes.

            Brian
            Midland MI