Re: [Scouter_T] Webelos to Scout transition class

  • Eric Crimmins
    Message 1 of 3 , Apr 7, 2010
      Not sure who your audience is, for this topic the emphasis of your class will vary dramatically based on the audience.  I taught this class to Cub Scout Leaders, was mostly Webelos Den Leaders with a few Cubmasters and Den Leaders mixed in.  If this seems like your audience the one bit of advice I would have is to focus mostly on how Boy Scouts operate.  When I started talking I could tell very quickly that no one had any idea of how a troop operated, its one thing for a Cub Scout Leader to know that a Troop is different, its another thing entirely for them to understand what the phrase means.

      The original emphasis of my class was going to be on get them out camping, visiting multiple troops, preparing the parents as well as the boys, the mechanics and when to do things throughout Webelos on the way to crossover, etc.  We still covered this stuff, but in a very abridged version, we spent probably 40+ minutes of a 50 minute class talking about how Troops operated, boy led, the activities they did, etc.  Really we focused on if the 10th purpose of Cub Scouts is Preparation for Boy Scouts then what exactly are we preparing them for, its hard to get somewhere if you don't know where you're going.  If I taught this class again to the same audience I think I would do it the same way again (although planned this time,) the feedback was very positive and despite being a large group (30+) during the last class of the day most everyone seemed very engaged.

      If your audience is Boy Scout leaders or Commissioners your approach will be completely different but this is what worked with the Cub Scouts.

      Eric J. Crimmins
      In every walk with nature one receives far more than he seeks. - John Muir