Re: Cub Scouts 2010 - New Presentation and Roll-out Questions

  • Darlene
    Message 1 of 12 , Mar 26 8:13 PM
      I agree, Jay - not too big a change here.
      I trained New Leader Specifics and handed out materials for the Leader Specific training warning of this change already this spring.

      I've also been training, stressing the Fast Tracks as the easiest and most efficient way of running a den for the past 2 years. People LOVE it.

      The only changes I see are good ones. Less stressing over "what to do" each week... just follow the plan that you set out at the beginning of the year using Fast Tracks. If you look closely at the sample resource guide available on line, it is really just Program Helps with different themes. Actually, better themes, if you ask me....how can you go wrong with the Core Values?

      I was a Den Leader for both Tigers & Wolves this year and implemented Fast Tracks in both dens. Sat down last summer with an excel spreadsheet and tweaked up the schedule on-line to fit my needs and meeting schedules. It took a little time one or two afternoons, but now I can pass it on to next years leader to adjust to their needs.

      Don't stress this change... embrace it. Read thru what is available on National's website already (the brochure is actually very informative) and work it into the training as something wonderfully new and easy to use -- and not all that different from what many of us were already doing anyway!

      ~~Darlene Propst
      Calumet Council Day Camp Chair, Trainer,
      Prairie Dunes District Committee Program Chair, Roundtable Staff
      Pack 234, Lowell, IN - Mom of 3 scouts, Den leader

      --- In scouter_t@yahoogroups.com, "Jay" <bsafox@...> wrote:

      > Sorry Mike, keep hoping there is NOT anything.
      >
      > the only change to the present training will be the elimination in the specific training as to any mention of program helps and themes.
      > that is the only change to the program.
      >
      > The den leaders will be given an outline following the boys book for advancement. the changes for Den Leader training will be they will follow the recommended outline sign off requirements in the book and again no mention of the program helps or themes. that''s all folks. not really rock science.
      >
      > if you are looking for a hole lot of changes, you are going to be very disappointed.
      >
      > Jay
      > --- In scouter_t@yahoogroups.com, "Mike" <jmrscout@> wrote:
      > >

      > > My hope is that the roll-out from National will include some sort of material to use or guidance/recommendations for transition. This would seem to be much more effective than each trainer/District/Council making up a set of PowerPoints to address the issue. With just over a month to go, it would be nice to know if there are any such plans.
      > >
      > > As I said, one can hope....
      > >
      > > Mike
      > >
      > > --- In scouter_t@yahoogroups.com, Jamie Niss Dunn <JNDunnMN@> wrote:
      > > >

      > > > well - if you're training new CMs who have already taken Intro to Cub Scouting and How We have fun, they only have to take the 1.5 hour CM specific. Teach that session, substituting the new Resource guide for program helps, and you're fine
      > > >
      > > > For current CMs a modified version of the Power Point, emphasizing the reasoning behind the change, along with a review of the Resource guide, and you should be good. Make it a break out session at a Roundtable.
      > > >

      > > > Jamie Niss Dunn
      > > > Pack Trainer, Pack 512
      > > > Blaine/Coon Rapids, MN
      > > > Troop Committee, Troop 509
      > > > Ham Lake, MN
      > > > Secretary, Crew 849
      > > > Coon Rapids, MN
      > > > Cub Scout Training Coordinator
      > > > Cub Scout Roundtable Commissioner
      > > > Three Rivers District

    • Nina Wolfson
      Message 2 of 12 , Mar 28 5:51 AM
        I want to know what's going to happen with Cub Scout Roundtables. If there is no theme and everyone is following the plan - then what are we going to do each month?

        Nina Wolfson
        Gulf Ridge Council

      • gundamknt@yahoo.com
        Message 3 of 12 , Mar 28 7:14 AM
          There is to be a new roundtable guide based off of the new material coming soon.

          From: "Nina Wolfson" <nwolfson@...>
          Date: Sun, 28 Mar 2010 08:51:52
          To: <scouter_t@yahoogroups.com>
          Subject: [Scouter_T] Re: Cub Scouts 2010 - New Presentation and Roll-out Questions

          I want to know what's going to happen with Cub Scout Roundtables. If there is no theme and everyone is following the plan - then what are we going to do each month?

          Nina Wolfson
          Gulf Ridge Council
          ..

        • Sandra Martens
          Message 4 of 12 , Mar 28 8:19 AM
            a new roundtable guide will be coming out in Apr/May timeframe.

            Sandy OWL

            I want to know what's going to happen with Cub Scout Roundtables. If there is no theme and everyone is following the plan - then what are we going to do each month?

            Nina Wolfson

            Gulf Ridge Council

          • Jamie Niss Dunn