Re: [Scouter_T] Re: New Webelos badge placement

  • Judy Yeager
    Message 1 of 10 , Aug 14, 2001
      Pete Mullaney wrote: "I assumed (and of course that's a BAD thing to do)
      that national would phase out the diamond WEBELOS badge by the time boys
      who've earned the Tiger diamond are WEBELOS. Of course things that seem
      to make sense to me don't usually happen."

      Since the LDS units don't presently use the Tiger Cub program, their Cubs
      would not have the opportunity to complete the diamond without the "old"
      badge. Does that make more sense?

      Judy Yeager
    • Mullaney, Peter [AMSTA-AR-WES]
      Message 2 of 10 , Aug 14, 2001
        > ----------
        > From: Judy Yeager
        >

        > Pete Mullaney wrote: "I assumed (and of course that's a BAD thing to do)
        > that national would phase out the diamond WEBELOS badge by the time boys
        > who've earned the Tiger diamond are WEBELOS. Of course things that seem
        > to make sense to me don't usually happen."
        >
        > Since the LDS units don't presently use the Tiger Cub program, their Cubs
        > would not have the opportunity to complete the diamond without the "old"
        > badge. Does that make more sense?

        Yes and no, but that brings up politics and Religion and
        I don't want to go there. ;-)

        Pete
      • Stu Allen
        Message 3 of 10 , Aug 14, 2001
          > I assumed (and of course that's a BAD thing to do) that national
          > would phase out the diamond WEBELOS badge by the time boys who've
          > earned the Tiger diamond are WEBELOS. Of course things that seem
          > to make sense to me don't usually happen.

          I believe that this is *not* true.

          Remember that LDS packs don't have Tiger Cubs, so for those boys
          (and others that were not Tigers) the plan is to continue to offer
          the diamond-shaped Webelos badge as well.

          YiS,
          Stu

          --
          Stu Allen email: allensr@...
          CM/MC Pack/Troop 92
          Message 4 of 10 , Aug 14, 2001
            --- In scouter_t@y..., Stu Allen <allensr@f...> wrote:

            > Remember that LDS packs don't have Tiger Cubs, so for those boys
            > (and others that were not Tigers) the plan is to continue to offer
            > the diamond-shaped Webelos badge as well.

            Even aside from the issue of boys who don't go through tiger cubs,
            there is the idea that there is still a choice of uniform for the
            webelos. Many boys will still wear the blue uniform for a lot of
            reasons, it still fitting being a big one. And, the diamond badge
            just looks better on blue than the round one. My oldest son wore the
            blue uniform until he crossed over, but the second one wore the khaki
            while a webelos, and we'll have to see about the one in his Bear
            year. And also don't assume that just because certain packs don't
            have tiger dens, that none of the boys in that pack have not earned
            the tiger badge.

            James Francisco
            Vice-Chairman, Klahaya District
            Mt. Baker Council
          • Rick Rambo
            Message 5 of 10 , Aug 14, 2001
              Not to throw another fly in the ointment, I had heard that the diamond
              Webelos patch would eventually be retired!

              **********
              America is returning to the values that Scouting never left!
              **********
              Rick Rambo
              e-mail: rickram.geo@...

              FAX: (561) 673-0437
              http://www.geocities.com/rickram.geo/
              http://immanuel.faithweb.com/
              AOL Instant Messenger: rickram 1

              > Remember that LDS packs don't have Tiger Cubs, so for those boys
              > (and others that were not Tigers) the plan is to continue to offer
              > the diamond-shaped Webelos badge as well.

              Even aside from the issue of boys who don't go through tiger cubs,
              there is the idea that there is still a choice of uniform for the
              webelos. Many boys will still wear the blue uniform for a lot of
              reasons, it still fitting being a big one. And, the diamond badge
              just looks better on blue than the round one. My oldest son wore the
              blue uniform until he crossed over, but the second one wore the khaki
              while a webelos, and we'll have to see about the one in his Bear
              year. And also don't assume that just because certain packs don't
              have tiger dens, that none of the boys in that pack have not earned
              the tiger badge.

              James Francisco
              Vice-Chairman, Klahaya District
              Mt. Baker Council

              <http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/> .

            • Stu Allen
              Message 6 of 10 , Aug 14, 2001
                > Not to throw another fly in the ointment, I had heard that the diamond
                > Webelos patch would eventually be retired!

                And that very well may be true, but the official literature that has been
                put out so far (mainly the "What's new Tiger Cub" brochure) lists both
                badges as options -- so for the time being at least, either one will be
                available.

                YiS,
                Stu

                --