Change in Pack Camping policy

  • kelly-parker@home.com
    Message 1 of 3 , Aug 12, 2001
      being able to camp to the encouragement that they camp twice per year:
      In studies and surveys done throughout Cubs, it was found that (pause
      for gasp of amazement) boys join Scouting so they can camp out and do
      stuff in the outdoors. Thus, if they didn't get some kind of outdoor
      experience within 90 days, they don't stay in the program.
      So, Baloo training was formatted to provide a safe and successful
      Pack camping experience. That way, the Pack does a fall/winter campout
      and a spring campout, then the boys attend Day Camp or Resident Camp.
      Changing the subject:
      It has been my understanding that OWL training is replaced by
      Intro to the Outdoors. I know that on this list, the majority have
      decided that can't be, as there is too much of a gap between trainings.
      Because of that, I've got my Cub Training leader digging out the old
      syllabus, and we'll probably mount a course this fall.
      Has anyone at any conference heard anything on a revision of OWL
      (or WLOT or whatever)? I have gone over all the new training, and spent
      a lot of time at the National training display at Jamboree, and there
      is absolutely nothing--in no literature, charted training or any other
      publication. Has anyone heard or talked to National about this?
      --
      YiS--
      Kelly Parker
      Message 2 of 3 , Aug 12, 2001
        Kelly Parker wrote: "It has been my understanding that OWL training is
        replaced by Intro to the Outdoors. . .Has anyone at any conference heard
        anything on a revision of OWL (or WLOT or whatever)?"

        Go to the archives for this list and take a look at message # 575 which was
        originally posted on April 2, 2001. I think that will answer all your
        questions.

        Judy Yeager
      • ClayConver@AOL.com
        Message 3 of 3 , Aug 13, 2001
          In a message dated 13/8/01 0:29:33, kelly-parker@... writes:

          << Has anyone at any conference heard anything on a revision of OWL
          (or WLOT or whatever)? I have gone over all the new training, and spent
          a lot of time at the National training display at Jamboree, and there
          is absolutely nothing--in no literature, charted training or any other
          publication. Has anyone heard or talked to National about this? >>

          The latest Pro Speak for professional Scouters confirms that Webelos Leader
          Outdoor Training continues to be a current course. It suggests removing it
          from the old training manuals before discarding them. The suggestion that
          Webelos leaders take the Intro to Outdoor Skills is aimed primarily at 2nd
          year Webelos leaders about to transition to Boy Scouts. BALOO, Webelos
          Leader Outdoor Training, Intro to Outdoor Leader Skills, and Powderhorn
          Training's, provide a progressive series of training's with increasing levels
          of skill and outdoor experience. They are tailored to the types of outdoor p
          rogram appropriate for the different age levels of Scouts/Venturers
          participating in our programs.

          Clay Converse
          Baden-Powell Council, Binghamton NY