Re: Cub Scouts 2010

  • a_riggans
    Message 1 of 5 , Mar 3, 2010
      Thanks so much for all the advice/thoughts/comments. I have the training on Saturday. We'll see how it goes.
      Alicia

      --- In scouter_t@yahoogroups.com, "Dawn Gent" <dlougent@...> wrote:

      > Was fortunate to attend SNJ Pow Wow which had sessions with Bob Scott from National who is working on this project. Since I have two trainings between now and the summer I had the same thoughts...
      >
      > Some of what I learned was:
      > a.. new program is similar to, but more detailed than, Fast Tracks - so between now and the summer I will be including Fast Tracks (as a pass-around) in my training.
      > b.. emphasis on how the transition will move, especially with Wolf & Bear, from work in the home to work done in the den
      > c.. 2 meetings per month, plus activity, plus Pack Meeting (this is a change in Wolf to Webelos especially); Den & Pack Meeting Resource Guide (D&PMRG) has additional supplemental meeting plan for those few who will continue with the 3 meetings.
      > d.. D&PMRG is designed to be a comprehensive and multi-year resource. Units should plan to ensure all leaders get a copy (although monthly downloads will be available) - this is true for Tigers through to Webelos Leaders. Note: Webelos Leader Book will still be used in conjunction, Cub Scout Leader Book will be re-done and also still in use.
      > e.. Standardization of SEVEN parts of a meeting, for all meetings (Tigers will be modified).
      > Hope this helps...
      >
      > Dawn Gent
      > Cub Scout Training Coordinator
      > I used to be an Eagle
      >

      > "Neither a wise man nor a brave man lies down on the tracks of history to wait for the train of the future to run over him."
      > - Dwight D. Eisenhower

    • Ronald Parks
      Message 2 of 5 , Mar 3, 2010
        All that information can be found on the Top Hands presentation at
        http://www.scouting.org/cubscouts2010.aspx.

        One of the principles for successful organizational change is "Communicate
        for Buy-in." With that in mind, our district and Council have been
        including information on Fast Tracks in the Introduction to Cub Scouting
        module for nearly a year. In addition, we presented the video (downloaded
        from YouTube) and the Top Hands presentation found on the Cub Scout 2010 web
        page at our district Cub Scout Leader Training session last month and the
        response from the leaders was all positive. We will be doing the
        presentation again at Roundtable tonight during the Cub Scout break-out
        session.

        This is the way we will be delivering Cub Scouting beginning in June. We
        need to get this information to our unit leaders now.

        Yours in Scouting,

        Ron Parks

        Training Chair

        Victory District

        Alamo Area Council

        "Dawn Gent" <dlougent@...> wrote:

        > Was fortunate to attend SNJ Pow Wow which had sessions with Bob Scott from
        National who is working on this project. Since I have two trainings between
        now and the summer I had the same thoughts...

        > Some of what I learned was:
        > a.. new program is similar to, but more detailed than, Fast Tracks - so
        between now and the summer I will be including Fast Tracks (as a
        pass-around) in my training.
        > b.. emphasis on how the transition will move, especially with Wolf & Bear,
        from work in the home to work done in the den
        > c.. 2 meetings per month, plus activity, plus Pack Meeting (this is a
        change in Wolf to Webelos especially); Den & Pack Meeting Resource Guide
        (D&PMRG) has additional supplemental meeting plan for those few who will
        continue with the 3 meetings.
        > d.. D&PMRG is designed to be a comprehensive and multi-year resource.
        Units should plan to ensure all leaders get a copy (although monthly
        downloads will be available) - this is true for Tigers through to Webelos
        Leaders. Note: Webelos Leader Book will still be used in conjunction, Cub
        Scout Leader Book will be re-done and also still in use.
        > e.. Standardization of SEVEN parts of a meeting, for all meetings (Tigers
        will be modified).
        > Hope this helps...
        >
        > Dawn Gent
        > Cub Scout Training Coordinator
        > I used to be an Eagle
        >

        > "Neither a wise man nor a brave man lies down on the tracks of history to
        wait for the train of the future to run over him."
        > - Dwight D. Eisenhower

      • Teresa Hall
        Message 3 of 5 , Mar 3, 2010
          I suggest everyone interested take a look at the most recent BALOO's Bugle -
          the link is here:

          http://usscouts.org/bbugle/bb1002.pdf

          This gives some very good, current and comprehensive information about the
          changes, down to the anticipated roll-out dates of the materials. I do know
          that these dates have been pushed back a very little bit - a week perhaps -
          due to some February weather shut-downs in Dallas. You should find this to
          be a good complement to the Top Hands presentation.

          Teresa Hall
          Vulcan District Cub Training Chair
          Greater AL Council

        • Bill
          Message 4 of 5 , Mar 4, 2010
            Is the online training still scheduled for May?