RE: [Scouter_T] SM Specific Update was: WLOT and IOLS

  • Corbin Sarchet
    Message 1 of 12 , Mar 2, 2010
      I don't know where they get the people who work on the trianing program
      materials, but it has always been apparent in the past several decades they
      are not people with grass roots experience in what a new SM or ASM really
      needs to know to have successful troops...so today, we have a strippled down
      Troop Leaders Program which covers job descriptions and almost nil on how to
      do it; Scoutmasters basics which don't teach skills which most new
      Scoutmasters do not know unless they have been Scouts in the past; no longer
      a JLT for skills training for junior leaders; and Woodbadge and NYLT which
      has stripped out outdoor skills for management skills. Program takes a way
      back seat to numbers---membership, units and finances in the life of the
      professionals----we make big claims about being an outdoor program, but
      don't back it up with the training that folks need to teach Scoutcraft,
      woodcraft, and outdoor skills, nor do we any longer have a troop based
      program for junior leaders to learn how to instruct, how to run meetings,
      how to work with younger youth, and the ins and outs of their troop
      responsibilities----we tell them what a quartermaster does, but not how to
      actually do the job.

      Well, that is off my chest.

      Corb