Re: [Scouter_T] Whittling Chip

  • Staci Kilpatrick
    Message 1 of 7 , Mar 2, 2010
      I had to go back 2 times in my Webelos year for re-doing the whittling chip.  Once for a new Scout and once for a boy that got his card taken - they have to re-do it all to reearn the right to carry the knife at Cub Scout events.

      BTW, electrical tape on the fingers holding the object (I like ivory soap - cheap and easy to cut - but check for allergies first) they are carving is wonderful - they can't cut their fingers.  We do this for the initial time using the knife and on the final time there is no tape.  If they cut themselves (or others) - no card given at that time - redo the class at a later date.

      ________________________________
      From: Lisa Titus <bearmitzvah@ gmail.com>
      To: scouter_t@yahoogrou ps.com
      Date: Monday, March 1, 2010, 10:04 PM

      Kendall Johnston wrote:
      > I need some guidance, I have a Webelos scout that needs to earn his Whittling Chip, however I can't find the requirments for Webelos scout to earn it.

      It's in the Bear handbook.

      Look here: <http://usscouts. org/advance/ cubscout/ bear.asp# SHAVINGS>
      and here: <http://usscouts. org/advance/ cubscout/ whittlingchip. asp>

      Lisa Titus
      CM Pack 358 http://www.pack358. us
      ASM Troop 459 http://www.troop459 .us
      Daniel Webster Council http://www.nhscouti ng.org/
      I used to be a Bear ... NE-I-250

    • Jamie Niss Dunn
      Message 2 of 7 , Mar 2, 2010
        >Thank you Lisa, but do I have him as a Webelos go back and do something out of the Bear book?

        The Whittling Chip is not a Bear skill or a Webelos skill, but a Cub Scout safety skill. Wolf Cub Scouts can earn the Whittling Chip. (See the Cub Scout leader book, check the index under knife safety). It's no more "going back" than teaching the buddy system (something they learn as Wolves).

        The Whittling Chip is pubished in the Bear Cub Scout book in the Shavings and Chips achievement. But it is just there because one one of the requirements is to earn the Whittling Chip, a separate opportunity from the Shavings and Chips achievement.

        Jamie Niss Dunn
        Pack Trainer, Pack 512
        Blaine/Coon Rapids, MN
        Troop Committee, Troop 509
        Ham Lake, MN
        Secretary, Crew 849
        Coon Rapids, MN
        Cub Scout Training Coordinator
        Cub Scout Roundtable Commissioner
        Three Rivers District

      • Kendall Johnston
        Message 3 of 7 , Mar 2, 2010
          Thank you all for you help. I realize now "going back" weren't the right words to use.

          Thanks again.