Re: [Scouter_T] SM Specific Update was: WLOT and IOLS

  • Scouter Chuck
    Message 1 of 12 , Mar 2, 2010
      Bill nelson wrote:

      > Well the version of SM Specific I have has noting on TLT, NYLT and
      > NAYLE and nothing on how to teach a Patrol Leader on what his job
      > is (also nothing on what a PL job is other than to help out the
      > SPL).

      I'd look for an older Patrol Leader's Handbook.

      Which brings up a point. Is National going to release an updated
      version of the PLH? Or is the PLH going to become "lost tribal
      knowledge" in the legendarium?

      YiS,

      Chuck
    • Corbin Sarchet
      Message 2 of 12 , Mar 2, 2010
        I don't know where they get the people who work on the trianing program
        materials, but it has always been apparent in the past several decades they
        are not people with grass roots experience in what a new SM or ASM really
        needs to know to have successful troops...so today, we have a strippled down
        Troop Leaders Program which covers job descriptions and almost nil on how to
        do it; Scoutmasters basics which don't teach skills which most new
        Scoutmasters do not know unless they have been Scouts in the past; no longer
        a JLT for skills training for junior leaders; and Woodbadge and NYLT which
        has stripped out outdoor skills for management skills. Program takes a way
        back seat to numbers---membership, units and finances in the life of the
        professionals----we make big claims about being an outdoor program, but
        don't back it up with the training that folks need to teach Scoutcraft,
        woodcraft, and outdoor skills, nor do we any longer have a troop based
        program for junior leaders to learn how to instruct, how to run meetings,
        how to work with younger youth, and the ins and outs of their troop
        responsibilities----we tell them what a quartermaster does, but not how to
        actually do the job.

        Well, that is off my chest.

        Corb