RE: [Scouter_T] Re: WLOT and IOLS

  • Corbin Sarchet
    Message 1 of 12 , Mar 1, 2010
      I understand it is being modified to includesome outdoor skills, but we will
      have to see.

      Corb

    • Bill
      Message 2 of 12 , Mar 1, 2010
        Well the version of SM Specific I have has noting on TLT, NYLT and NAYLE and nothing on how to teach a Patrol Leader on what his job is (also nothing on what a PL job is other than to help out the SPL).

        At least I can't find anything and I have the version that mentions EDGE

        Bill

        --- In scouter_t@yahoogroups.com, "Corbin Sarchet" <corbms3@...> wrote:

        > I understand it is being modified to includesome outdoor skills, but we will
        > have to see.
        >
        > Corb

      • Scouter Chuck
        Message 3 of 12 , Mar 2, 2010
          Bill nelson wrote:

          > Well the version of SM Specific I have has noting on TLT, NYLT and
          > NAYLE and nothing on how to teach a Patrol Leader on what his job
          > is (also nothing on what a PL job is other than to help out the
          > SPL).

          I'd look for an older Patrol Leader's Handbook.

          Which brings up a point. Is National going to release an updated
          version of the PLH? Or is the PLH going to become "lost tribal
          knowledge" in the legendarium?

          YiS,

          Chuck
        • Corbin Sarchet
          Message 4 of 12 , Mar 2, 2010
            I don't know where they get the people who work on the trianing program
            materials, but it has always been apparent in the past several decades they
            are not people with grass roots experience in what a new SM or ASM really
            needs to know to have successful troops...so today, we have a strippled down
            Troop Leaders Program which covers job descriptions and almost nil on how to
            do it; Scoutmasters basics which don't teach skills which most new
            Scoutmasters do not know unless they have been Scouts in the past; no longer
            a JLT for skills training for junior leaders; and Woodbadge and NYLT which
            has stripped out outdoor skills for management skills. Program takes a way
            back seat to numbers---membership, units and finances in the life of the
            professionals----we make big claims about being an outdoor program, but
            don't back it up with the training that folks need to teach Scoutcraft,
            woodcraft, and outdoor skills, nor do we any longer have a troop based
            program for junior leaders to learn how to instruct, how to run meetings,
            how to work with younger youth, and the ins and outs of their troop
            responsibilities----we tell them what a quartermaster does, but not how to
            actually do the job.

            Well, that is off my chest.

            Corb