Re: WLOT and IOLS

  • Bill
    Message 1 of 12 , Mar 1, 2010
      Scoutstuff says it will be available 3/18/2010

      What is changing? Anything or is it just a reprint?

      --- In scouter_t@yahoogroups.com, "Corbin Sarchet" <corbms3@...> wrote:

      > Rumor is the new SM/SA position specifics is out...if that is a fact, where
      > can one find it?
      >
      > Corb Sarchet

    • Corbin Sarchet
      Message 2 of 12 , Mar 1, 2010
        I understand it is being modified to includesome outdoor skills, but we will
        have to see.

        Corb

      • Bill
        Message 3 of 12 , Mar 1, 2010
          Well the version of SM Specific I have has noting on TLT, NYLT and NAYLE and nothing on how to teach a Patrol Leader on what his job is (also nothing on what a PL job is other than to help out the SPL).

          At least I can't find anything and I have the version that mentions EDGE

          Bill

          --- In scouter_t@yahoogroups.com, "Corbin Sarchet" <corbms3@...> wrote:

          > I understand it is being modified to includesome outdoor skills, but we will
          > have to see.
          >
          > Corb

        • Scouter Chuck
          Message 4 of 12 , Mar 2, 2010
            Bill nelson wrote:

            > Well the version of SM Specific I have has noting on TLT, NYLT and
            > NAYLE and nothing on how to teach a Patrol Leader on what his job
            > is (also nothing on what a PL job is other than to help out the
            > SPL).

            I'd look for an older Patrol Leader's Handbook.

            Which brings up a point. Is National going to release an updated
            version of the PLH? Or is the PLH going to become "lost tribal
            knowledge" in the legendarium?

            YiS,

            Chuck
          • Corbin Sarchet
            Message 5 of 12 , Mar 2, 2010
              I don't know where they get the people who work on the trianing program
              materials, but it has always been apparent in the past several decades they
              are not people with grass roots experience in what a new SM or ASM really
              needs to know to have successful troops...so today, we have a strippled down
              Troop Leaders Program which covers job descriptions and almost nil on how to
              do it; Scoutmasters basics which don't teach skills which most new
              Scoutmasters do not know unless they have been Scouts in the past; no longer
              a JLT for skills training for junior leaders; and Woodbadge and NYLT which
              has stripped out outdoor skills for management skills. Program takes a way
              back seat to numbers---membership, units and finances in the life of the
              professionals----we make big claims about being an outdoor program, but
              don't back it up with the training that folks need to teach Scoutcraft,
              woodcraft, and outdoor skills, nor do we any longer have a troop based
              program for junior leaders to learn how to instruct, how to run meetings,
              how to work with younger youth, and the ins and outs of their troop
              responsibilities----we tell them what a quartermaster does, but not how to
              actually do the job.

              Well, that is off my chest.

              Corb