RE: [Scouter_T] Re: WLOT and IOLS

  • Elaine D. Boyd
    Message 1 of 12 , Mar 1, 2010
      Any word on when the syllabus will be available? I am running BALOO and
      OWL (aka WLOT) in June - unless the new syllabus comes out very soon -
      we'll be running the old syllabus. I have seen any hints to a time
      frame from BSA yet.

      Yours in Scouting,

      ~Elaine Boyd
      Scouter in NH

        Message 3 of 12 , Mar 1, 2010
          Rumor is the new SM/SA position specifics is out...if that is a fact, where
          can one find it?

          Corb Sarchet

        • Bill
          Message 4 of 12 , Mar 1, 2010
            Scoutstuff says it will be available 3/18/2010

            What is changing? Anything or is it just a reprint?

            --- In scouter_t@yahoogroups.com, "Corbin Sarchet" <corbms3@...> wrote:

            > Rumor is the new SM/SA position specifics is out...if that is a fact, where
            > can one find it?
            >
            > Corb Sarchet

          • Corbin Sarchet
            Message 5 of 12 , Mar 1, 2010
              I understand it is being modified to includesome outdoor skills, but we will
              have to see.

              Corb

            • Bill
              Message 6 of 12 , Mar 1, 2010
                Well the version of SM Specific I have has noting on TLT, NYLT and NAYLE and nothing on how to teach a Patrol Leader on what his job is (also nothing on what a PL job is other than to help out the SPL).

                At least I can't find anything and I have the version that mentions EDGE

                Bill

                --- In scouter_t@yahoogroups.com, "Corbin Sarchet" <corbms3@...> wrote:

                > I understand it is being modified to includesome outdoor skills, but we will
                > have to see.
                >
                > Corb

              • Scouter Chuck
                Message 7 of 12 , Mar 2, 2010
                  Bill nelson wrote:

                  > Well the version of SM Specific I have has noting on TLT, NYLT and
                  > NAYLE and nothing on how to teach a Patrol Leader on what his job
                  > is (also nothing on what a PL job is other than to help out the
                  > SPL).

                  I'd look for an older Patrol Leader's Handbook.

                  Which brings up a point. Is National going to release an updated
                  version of the PLH? Or is the PLH going to become "lost tribal
                  knowledge" in the legendarium?

                  YiS,

                  Chuck
                • Corbin Sarchet
                  Message 8 of 12 , Mar 2, 2010
                    I don't know where they get the people who work on the trianing program
                    materials, but it has always been apparent in the past several decades they
                    are not people with grass roots experience in what a new SM or ASM really
                    needs to know to have successful troops...so today, we have a strippled down
                    Troop Leaders Program which covers job descriptions and almost nil on how to
                    do it; Scoutmasters basics which don't teach skills which most new
                    Scoutmasters do not know unless they have been Scouts in the past; no longer
                    a JLT for skills training for junior leaders; and Woodbadge and NYLT which
                    has stripped out outdoor skills for management skills. Program takes a way
                    back seat to numbers---membership, units and finances in the life of the
                    professionals----we make big claims about being an outdoor program, but
                    don't back it up with the training that folks need to teach Scoutcraft,
                    woodcraft, and outdoor skills, nor do we any longer have a troop based
                    program for junior leaders to learn how to instruct, how to run meetings,
                    how to work with younger youth, and the ins and outs of their troop
                    responsibilities----we tell them what a quartermaster does, but not how to
                    actually do the job.

                    Well, that is off my chest.

                    Corb