RE: [Scouter_T] WLOT and IOLS

  • Corbin Sarchet
    Message 1 of 12 , Mar 1, 2010
      We combine in Central Florida's Fort Gatlin district, and supplement our
      nature training to include the geology and parts of forestry activitity
      badges which are not includeded in the SA/SM IOLS since in Scouting they are
      merit badge subjects, and not covered in the T to 1st class rank
      requirements upon which IOLS focuses. We aso have a Webelos Leader mentor
      who meets with the WL attending to deal with any questions about the Webelos
      program or the Webelos to Scout transition.

      Our Webelos leader love it being prepared to move right into Scouting
      leadership.

      Also, I am to understand that the new IOLS program will be a one program fit
      all, forWebelos, Scout, Varsity and Venture leaders---whenever it comes out.

      Corb Sarchet

    • Elaine D. Boyd
      Message 2 of 12 , Mar 1, 2010
        Any word on when the syllabus will be available? I am running BALOO and
        OWL (aka WLOT) in June - unless the new syllabus comes out very soon -
        we'll be running the old syllabus. I have seen any hints to a time
        frame from BSA yet.

        Yours in Scouting,

        ~Elaine Boyd
        Scouter in NH

          Message 4 of 12 , Mar 1, 2010
            Rumor is the new SM/SA position specifics is out...if that is a fact, where
            can one find it?

            Corb Sarchet

          • Bill
            Message 5 of 12 , Mar 1, 2010
              Scoutstuff says it will be available 3/18/2010

              What is changing? Anything or is it just a reprint?

              --- In scouter_t@yahoogroups.com, "Corbin Sarchet" <corbms3@...> wrote:

              > Rumor is the new SM/SA position specifics is out...if that is a fact, where
              > can one find it?
              >
              > Corb Sarchet

            • Corbin Sarchet
              Message 6 of 12 , Mar 1, 2010
                I understand it is being modified to includesome outdoor skills, but we will
                have to see.

                Corb

              • Bill
                Message 7 of 12 , Mar 1, 2010
                  Well the version of SM Specific I have has noting on TLT, NYLT and NAYLE and nothing on how to teach a Patrol Leader on what his job is (also nothing on what a PL job is other than to help out the SPL).

                  At least I can't find anything and I have the version that mentions EDGE

                  Bill

                  --- In scouter_t@yahoogroups.com, "Corbin Sarchet" <corbms3@...> wrote:

                  > I understand it is being modified to includesome outdoor skills, but we will
                  > have to see.
                  >
                  > Corb

                • Scouter Chuck
                  Message 8 of 12 , Mar 2, 2010
                    Bill nelson wrote:

                    > Well the version of SM Specific I have has noting on TLT, NYLT and
                    > NAYLE and nothing on how to teach a Patrol Leader on what his job
                    > is (also nothing on what a PL job is other than to help out the
                    > SPL).

                    I'd look for an older Patrol Leader's Handbook.

                    Which brings up a point. Is National going to release an updated
                    version of the PLH? Or is the PLH going to become "lost tribal
                    knowledge" in the legendarium?

                    YiS,

                    Chuck
                  • Corbin Sarchet
                    Message 9 of 12 , Mar 2, 2010
                      I don't know where they get the people who work on the trianing program
                      materials, but it has always been apparent in the past several decades they
                      are not people with grass roots experience in what a new SM or ASM really
                      needs to know to have successful troops...so today, we have a strippled down
                      Troop Leaders Program which covers job descriptions and almost nil on how to
                      do it; Scoutmasters basics which don't teach skills which most new
                      Scoutmasters do not know unless they have been Scouts in the past; no longer
                      a JLT for skills training for junior leaders; and Woodbadge and NYLT which
                      has stripped out outdoor skills for management skills. Program takes a way
                      back seat to numbers---membership, units and finances in the life of the
                      professionals----we make big claims about being an outdoor program, but
                      don't back it up with the training that folks need to teach Scoutcraft,
                      woodcraft, and outdoor skills, nor do we any longer have a troop based
                      program for junior leaders to learn how to instruct, how to run meetings,
                      how to work with younger youth, and the ins and outs of their troop
                      responsibilities----we tell them what a quartermaster does, but not how to
                      actually do the job.

                      Well, that is off my chest.

                      Corb