Re: WLOT and IOLS

  • Scott Truax
    Message 1 of 12 , Mar 1, 2010
      If you can wait, Natl will be coming out with the syllabus for these courses.
      All part of the new and approved training coming out of Natl.

      YIS
      Scott

      --- In scouter_t@yahoogroups.com, "Miss Renee" <renee_waldrop@...> wrote:

      > Looking for a schedule and some advice on holding combined WLOT and IOLS trainings. Please help.

    • Corbin Sarchet
      Message 2 of 12 , Mar 1, 2010
        We combine in Central Florida's Fort Gatlin district, and supplement our
        nature training to include the geology and parts of forestry activitity
        badges which are not includeded in the SA/SM IOLS since in Scouting they are
        merit badge subjects, and not covered in the T to 1st class rank
        requirements upon which IOLS focuses. We aso have a Webelos Leader mentor
        who meets with the WL attending to deal with any questions about the Webelos
        program or the Webelos to Scout transition.

        Our Webelos leader love it being prepared to move right into Scouting
        leadership.

        Also, I am to understand that the new IOLS program will be a one program fit
        all, forWebelos, Scout, Varsity and Venture leaders---whenever it comes out.

        Corb Sarchet

      • Elaine D. Boyd
        Message 3 of 12 , Mar 1, 2010
          Any word on when the syllabus will be available? I am running BALOO and
          OWL (aka WLOT) in June - unless the new syllabus comes out very soon -
          we'll be running the old syllabus. I have seen any hints to a time
          frame from BSA yet.

          Yours in Scouting,

          ~Elaine Boyd
          Scouter in NH

          Message 4 of 12 , Mar 1, 2010
            I need to proof read my emails better - that last sentence should read:
            I have NOT seen any hints to a time frame from BSA yet.

            And when I do finally see a date - I'll just add four months to it and
            save myself some aggravation! :-)

            ~Elaine

            Message 5 of 12 , Mar 1, 2010
              Rumor is the new SM/SA position specifics is out...if that is a fact, where
              can one find it?

              Corb Sarchet

            • Bill
              Message 6 of 12 , Mar 1, 2010
                Scoutstuff says it will be available 3/18/2010

                What is changing? Anything or is it just a reprint?

                --- In scouter_t@yahoogroups.com, "Corbin Sarchet" <corbms3@...> wrote:

                > Rumor is the new SM/SA position specifics is out...if that is a fact, where
                > can one find it?
                >
                > Corb Sarchet

              • Corbin Sarchet
                Message 7 of 12 , Mar 1, 2010
                  I understand it is being modified to includesome outdoor skills, but we will
                  have to see.

                  Corb

                • Bill
                  Message 8 of 12 , Mar 1, 2010
                    Well the version of SM Specific I have has noting on TLT, NYLT and NAYLE and nothing on how to teach a Patrol Leader on what his job is (also nothing on what a PL job is other than to help out the SPL).

                    At least I can't find anything and I have the version that mentions EDGE

                    Bill

                    --- In scouter_t@yahoogroups.com, "Corbin Sarchet" <corbms3@...> wrote:

                    > I understand it is being modified to includesome outdoor skills, but we will
                    > have to see.
                    >
                    > Corb

                  • Scouter Chuck
                    Message 9 of 12 , Mar 2, 2010
                      Bill nelson wrote:

                      > Well the version of SM Specific I have has noting on TLT, NYLT and
                      > NAYLE and nothing on how to teach a Patrol Leader on what his job
                      > is (also nothing on what a PL job is other than to help out the
                      > SPL).

                      I'd look for an older Patrol Leader's Handbook.

                      Which brings up a point. Is National going to release an updated
                      version of the PLH? Or is the PLH going to become "lost tribal
                      knowledge" in the legendarium?

                      YiS,

                      Chuck
                    • Corbin Sarchet
                      Message 10 of 12 , Mar 2, 2010
                        I don't know where they get the people who work on the trianing program
                        materials, but it has always been apparent in the past several decades they
                        are not people with grass roots experience in what a new SM or ASM really
                        needs to know to have successful troops...so today, we have a strippled down
                        Troop Leaders Program which covers job descriptions and almost nil on how to
                        do it; Scoutmasters basics which don't teach skills which most new
                        Scoutmasters do not know unless they have been Scouts in the past; no longer
                        a JLT for skills training for junior leaders; and Woodbadge and NYLT which
                        has stripped out outdoor skills for management skills. Program takes a way
                        back seat to numbers---membership, units and finances in the life of the
                        professionals----we make big claims about being an outdoor program, but
                        don't back it up with the training that folks need to teach Scoutcraft,
                        woodcraft, and outdoor skills, nor do we any longer have a troop based
                        program for junior leaders to learn how to instruct, how to run meetings,
                        how to work with younger youth, and the ins and outs of their troop
                        responsibilities----we tell them what a quartermaster does, but not how to
                        actually do the job.

                        Well, that is off my chest.

                        Corb